If there is one thing that technology has made life easier, it's the mode of communication. We can now easily communicate with our friends and family across the world in just a few seconds. One application enables that is WhatsApp. But how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android if you accidentally deleted some conversations that contain important files?
Accidental deletion could be a huge loss. In this article, four methods are introduced to retrieve WhatsApp messages, choose one that suits you.
How to Recover WhatsApp Messages on Android from Backups
1.1 Retrieve WhatsApp messages from most recent backups
There is always a chance that WhatsApp already has a backup of your conversations. One of the many delightful features of this application is that it automatically backs up all your data at 4 AM (your local time). You can also manually set the backup time. To recover deleted WhatsApp messages, you will need to re-install WhatsApp from your Android. When your app is downloaded, it will ask you if you want to retrieve your backed-up data. Don’t hesitate to tap "Restore", all of your conversations along with any kind of media (created 1-7 days before) will be restored. In this way, you will not have to go to extra lengths to get your lost WhatsApp files back.
1.2 Retrieve from less recent backups
The solution that we mentioned above can be used if you are interested in just restoring your most recent backups. Since WhatsApp backs up files automatically every day, the ones that were backed up more than 7 days, can not be recovered if you follow the method mentioned above. To retrieve your data from a less recent backup, you will have to follow another way.
- Step 1. First, you have to install a file manager application on your Android which will manage your files and applications.
- Step 2. Then, you need to visit the SD card folder in the file manager app. After that, click on the WhatsApp folder and then databases. If none of your data is backed up in your SD card, you will see internal storage or main storage instead of an SD card.
- Step 3. Whatever file you want to backup, remember to rename it from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msg store.db.crypt12. The crypt number indicates in what order your data was backed up, so you don't have to change that.
- Step 4. Now, uninstall your WhatsApp from your android phone and download it again.
- Step 5. You will be asked to retrieve your conversations, tap “Restore”.
Some limitations of these methods:
- Need a backup.
- You may lose the newest WhatsApp messages you received.
Retrieve Messages on WhatsApp without Losing the Newest Chat History
When WhatsApp automatically backs up your files daily, that WhatsApp backup file is only valid for 7 days after last saved. This means when you use the above two methods, you need to keep in mind that you can lose the newest WhatsApp Messages you received.
If you want to make sure that these messages are backed up as well, then you have to create a manual backup following these steps:
- Step 1. Open your WhatsApp.
- Step 2. Click on the menu button.
- Step 3. Finally, backup all your conversations manually.
Now you just need to rename this backup file from msgstore.db.crypt7 to msgstore.db.crypt7.current.
The limitation of this method:
- You need manually backup your WhatsApp data.
- You can't retrieve the lost conversations, photos, files, videos without backup.
Effortlessly Recover WhatsApp Messages without Backup via D-Back Android
As mentioned above, the former three methods all need a backup so that you are able to successfully retrieve your WhatsApp messages. Does it mean you can't get your WhatsApp messages back if you didn't make a backup before? In such occasion, you can have a try for iMyFone D-Back Android. D-Back Android was born for recovering Android data. The whole process is pretty easy and depending on your phone type, you will recover your files in a few minutes. iMyFone launched this Android application following the succeed of D-Back iOS.
Outstanding Features of D-Back Android
- It can recover WhatsApp data not only from your Android phones or tablets but even the ones that are broken. You don't have to go to any store or take help from anyone to get your files back. It has a solution to all your problems.
- It can recover WhatsApp messages, pictures, videos, and also supports many other kinds of file types.
- It is capable of recovering your WhatsApp messages on Android without root.
- Get your WhatsApp data back within minutes.
- Finally but most importantly, its extremely safe and secure.
Step 1.Open D-Back Android and select the "Android Data Recovery" mode.
Step 2.Then the application will ask you what kind of device and device model you own to confirm that your device is Samsung. D-Back Android will automatically download the data package for you.
Step 3.Then connect your Android cellphone to your computer.
Step 4.Select the file types to scan.
Step 5. Finally, choose the needed files that you want to recover.
5 Star Recommendation
There are always limitations of free WhatsApp recovery methods, some of them may requires technical knowledge, but D-Back is suitable for anyone. In the mean time, D-Back for Android is deeply trusted by our customers:
"My Samsung phone is water damaged, and I lost lots of important data. After trying D-Back (Android), I extract those data to my PC! I have to say this software really helps!"
—— Reviewed by Jaeremy
"I accidentally deleted some precious videos about my journey of Canada and then I found D-Back (Android) to retrieve it. The app is super easy to use, and I got those photos back again. Thanks a lot!"
—— Reviewed by Danny
WhatsApp Data Recovery for Android FAQ
1. Will I still have the chance to recover my WhatsApp messages even if I didn’t back up them?
Yes. No matter you have backed up your WhatsApp messages or not, you always have the option to recover your data back via third-party applications such as iMyFone D-Back Android which are 100% safe and secure. This application will restore your data in just a few minutes. Following the steps mentioned above and you're on your way to get your files back.
2. How can I restore deleted messages on WhatsApp?
If your WhatsApp was connected to your Google Drive account, there is a chance that your data is backed up in it. You can restore it from there, too. Try to reinstall WhatsApp and then recover your WhatsApp messages from Google Drive.
Using the above-mentioned methods will guarantee a safe recovery of your WhatsApp files without any problems. If you face any problems with iMyFone D-Back, you can visit our website and email us. Once you get your lost WhatsApp data and files back, don't forget to let us know!