The data on your Apple Watch or iPhone is as essential as your gadget. So, it needs full-fledged protection so that it does not fall into nefarious hands.
None of you will want your Apple Watch missed or stolen. But, what if it gets into the wrong hands? The activation lock on the Apple Watch protects your precious data. The “Find My” Geolocation service supports the activation lock in the Apple Watch. It averts the thieves from wiping the data and reselling your watch. The activation locked Apple Watch is designed to keep your data safe, even if the iCloud is erased by you without signing out.
- 1.1. What is Activation Lock on Apple Watch?
- 1.2. Which Models of Apple Watch have Activation Lock?
- 1.3. How to Check If Activation Lock is on?
Part 1: What do You Need to Know about Activation Lock
1. What is Activation Lock on Apple Watch?
Activation Lock is part of Apple’s “Find My Service” developed by Apple since iOS 6. If there is any wrong operation and your Apple ID does not work properly, it will lock your device. No third party can restore your Apple Watch or other Apple gadgets if it is not disconnected from your Apple ID. Without disabling your Apple ID, the nefarious person cannot sell your device, and the gadget is of no use to them. The Apple Watch users who possess watches with OS 2 or later will automatically have the activation lock enabled. The lock will get activated as soon as you set up your device.
2. Which Models of Apple Watch have Activation Lock?
The Apple Watches with OS 2 and more have an automatic activation lock facility. The Apple Watches with iOS 6 or more platforms posses this service. The latest release is Watch OS 7.3, which is now available to the public. So, users need to upgrade to iOS 14 to get access to the automatic activation lock feature.
3. How to Check If Activation Lock is on?
Below are a few steps to check if the activation lock is on to find the Apple Watch:
- Firstly, open the Apple Watch on your iPhone
- Click on the “My Watch Tab”
- Now, tap your watch name on the top of the screen
- After this step, tap on the info button
Here, if you see the ‘Find My Apple Watch,’ then the Activation Lock is on. It will help in saving your device from theft or any other loss. Only you can enable your Apple Watch by putting in the right user ID and password.
Part 2: Can You Unlock the Activation Lock on Apple Watch?
Yes, you can unlock the activation locked Apple Watch before selling it, giving it to the service center, or if you are giving it to someone else. It can be done only through the owner’s Apple ID and Password. It can be done through pairing, iCloud, or by asking the previous owner of the Apple Watch.
Part 3: How to Unlock Activation Lock on Apple Watch?
1. Use Paired iPhone to Unlock Activation Lock on Apple Watch
- Keep your iPhone and Apple Watch together.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, and click the ‘My Watch’ tab.
- Tap your watch name on the top of the screen and then tap the info button.
- Click on unpair Apple Watch. Click on remove (carrier plan) if you have the cellular model of the Apple Watch. If you can’t pair with any other phone, then call your “carrier” to cancel your cellular subscription.
- Enter Apple ID and Password, and press confirm.
2. Use iCloud to Unlock Activation Lock on Apple Watch
You can turn off the Activation Lock on your Apple Watch even if it’s not pairing or you can’t have access to it. You can unlock it by using iCloud in these essential steps:
- On your computer, log into iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Now, Find My iPhone.
- Select all the devices, and then click on your Apple Watch.
- After this, click on erase Apple Watch. You have to select the Next option until the device gets erased.
- Click the ‘remove button’ that is shown next to your Apple Watch over the screen.
3. Ask the Previous Owner for Help
If the previous owner is present with you, ask him to click on Settings, choose General, then Reset, and after that, Erase All Content. For this, the previous owner needs to enter their Apple Watch ID and password. But, if the owner is not present with you, then follow these steps:
- Sign to iCloud.com with the previous owner’s Apple ID
- Click ‘Find My iPhone,’ and click all the devices on the top of the screen.
- Select the device that you want to remove from the iCloud
- Click on Erase for the selected device, and keep on selecting ‘Next’ until the device gets erased.
- Click on remove from account.
Now that you’ve successfully learned how to remove Activation Lock on your Apple Watch, perhaps a little insight on your iPhone might help too.
Would You Like to Know How to Remove iPhone Apple ID?
If you ever forget your iCloud or Apple ID, then it’s time to use the iMyFone LockWiper. The software helps unlock the issues related to screening passcode, Apple ID, MDM locks, and the Screen Time Lock.
Steps to Unlock Apple ID using iMyFone LockWiper
You can unlock the Apple ID after installing iMyFone LockWiper on your computer in different situations.
- After installing iMyFone LockWiper, choose "Unlock Apple ID" mode to unlock your device.
- Connect your iOS device to the computer, unlock the iOS device screen, and select "Trust" from your iPhone screen.
- Click "Start to Unlock" and then takes few seconds.
- Device will get unlocked easily!
A sudden situation can occur at any moment, and you can lose your Apple Watch. The Activation Lock protects your device from any outside threat. If you are giving away your Apple Watch to a service center or another person, make sure to unlock the activation locked Apple Watch. You can use these easy steps or third-party software.