Backing up the data on your WhatsApp account is one of the most important actions you can take to safeguard against data loss. But at the same time, the backup and restore solution that you choose to use should also make both the process of backing up and restoring the backup very easy. This is to ensure that you will not spend too much time worrying about how to make the process work, but can instead focus on enjoying WhatsApp without worrying about data loss.
To help you easily backup and restore the WhatsApp on your iPhone, we are going to be highlighting 3 ways you can backup and restore WhatsApp and then compare them to help you find out which one works best for you.
Back Up and Restore WhatsApp on iPhone Using iTransor
One of the best ways to backup and restore WhatsApp messages is to use the third-party tool iMyFone iTransor. This program is designed to make it very easily to either create a full backup of the device to your computer or selectively backup only certain types of data including WhatsApp. It is however very useful when it comes to restoring a backup, allowing you to easily restore only WhatsApp data from either iTransor or Apple backup without uninstalling iPhone WhatsApp or resetting your device.
1.Back Up WhatsApp on iPhone
To use iTransor to backup and restore WhatsApp on iPhone, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Download and install the program to your computer.
Step 2: Open it and then click on “Acquire Backup from Device & iCloud.” Click on “Back up Device” to continue and then connect the iPhone to the computer using USB cable.
Step 3: Once the program recognizes the device, select “WhatsApp” from the list and then click “Back Up” to begin the process. Keep the device connected until the backup process is complete.
2.Restore WhatsApp Backup to iPhone
To restore WhatsApp backup to an iPhone, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: On iTransor, click on “Restore Backup to Device” and then choose a backup that contains the data you need.
Step 2: Choose “WhatsApp” and then click “Preview & Restore” or “Restore Directly.” In the popup that appears choose to merge or replace the existing data on the device. You won't be required to uninstall Whatsapp App during the restore process.
Back Up and Restore WhatsApp Using iCloud
1.Back Up WhatsApp to iCloud
You can easily back up your WhatsApp chats in iCloud. To do that, launch WhatsApp on your device and then go to Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Back up Now”. The backup might take some time and it depends on the speed of your internet connection.
You can also easily enable automatic chat backups, allowing iCloud to regularly backup your WhatsApp chats.
2.Restore WhatsApp from iCloud
To restore the WhatsApp chats from the iCloud backup follow these simple steps;
Step 1: Begin by going to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup to make sure the iCloud backup is there.
Step 2: Once you are certain you have a backup delete and uninstall WhatsApp from the app store.
Step 3: Reinstall the app and then verify your phone number. Follow the on-screen instructions to restore the backup.
Back Up and Restore WhatsApp Using iTunes
You might also be able to create a backup of your WhatsApp chats through this method of Apple. It is also effective and allows you to restore the WhatsApp to your iPhone later just in case something goes wrong. You will need to erase all the content and data on your iPhone before restore the backup.
Save WhatsApp Data via Email
One of the ways you can back up your WhatsApp chats on your iPhone is by simply sending the chats to yourself via email. WhatsApp allows you to export chats to email although they will not include media files.
If you want to save the conversation you can email yourself the chat history using this procedure.
- Access the conversation on WhatsApp that you want to email yourself.
- In the navigation bar tap on the name or contact number of the person.
- Scroll to the bottom of the chat and select the option of export chat.
- You will get the option of whether you want to attach media or want the email without media.
- You can select the mail app from the given options according to the account you are using on your Apple device.
- Enter the email address and tap on send.
- Within few seconds you will receive the notification.
Bottom Line: Comparing the 4 Methods
The methods we have outlined above all have their pros and cons. But to get a real sense of which one will work best for you, it is necessary to compare them against each other;
- iTransor is a paid method but you will not have to uninstall WhatsApp to restore the backup since the backup is stored on your computer.
- iCloud is free to use although you will have to uninstall WhatsApp when restoring the backup. You will also require to pay storage space in iCloud if you have a large WhatsApp backup.
- The third method is also free but you will not be able to restore WhatsApp messages only. All the data on the device may also be erased during the restore process.
- The last method is free but it saves only some conversations instead of the whole WhatsApp database.