Backing up your iPhone with iTunes may seem like a simple process on the surface, but actually there are many different ways to do it. The best way to back up iPhone may not always be to use the official Apple method. Let's take a look at the best way below.
1. How to Back Up iPhone with iTunes Normally?
As mentioned, there is an official Apple method for backing up your iPhone. You can simply follow the directions on Apple's own website. You can find instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977.
The Pros and Cons of Backing Up Your iPhone With iTunes
There are both advantages and disadvantages to backing up your iPhone with iTunes. Let's take a look:
- It's free. The iTunes service can be freely downloaded from the official Apple site, and it's available for all kinds of platforms.
- It comes from Apple, so you know it's safe. You don't have to worry about any malware infecting your computer from iTunes.
- There are no limits imposed by Apple as to what you can store in your backup. It is stored on your computer, so it is only limited by your available hard drive space.
- You cannot selectively back up the data on your iPhone. In other words, you can't pick and choose what data you want to put in the backup and what data you don't.
- When you back up phone to iTunes, it will overwrite the old ones.
- Sometimes you may encounter an iTunes error. iTunes can occasionally have bugs.
2. The Difference Between iTunes Backup and iCloud Backup
Apple offers one other option—you can back up your iPhone using iCloud instead of iTunes. If you don't already know, iCloud differs in a few key ways from iTunes:
- If you use iCloud to make a backup, it will be stored on “the cloud.” In other words, it will be on an external server, not your computer. This has good points and bad points. It's convenient, but it's less secure.
- To load your backup on your phone, you will need to download it via the Internet, of course.
- You will also need an Internet connection to make and save the backup in the first place.
- With iCloud, you can conveniently have your phone make automatic backups every once in a while.
BTW, if you need, you can learn how to do an iCloud backup via the link we discuss in the beginning of the article.
3. How to Back Up Your iPhone without Less Restrictions?
Unfortunately, as we talked above, you can't back up your iPhone selectively or without overwriting your old iTunes backups if you use Apple's official tools like iTunes and iCloud. Instead, you will have to use a third-party tool, such as iMyFone D-Port Pro. D-Port Pro is software that helps you create and manage your backups more efficiently.
It lets you do a lot of things that you normally could never do with iTunes or iCloud. You can make backup for certain types of apps on your iPhone, you can create a new backup without overwriting old ones, or, you can use D-Port Pro to extract data from your existing iTunes and iCloud backups.
Steps to Selectively Back Up iPhone Data
If you want, you can restore iPad from iPhone backup using D-Port Pro to restore the restore the apps you need. Here is how it works:
(1) Download and install D-Port Pro, then plug your phone into your computer.
(2) Open D-Port Pro and click where it says Back Up & Export from Device. You will see that iMyFone D-Port Pro can not only make a full backup, but also back up only messages, WhatsApp data or WeChat data. Here we take Message, which is the most important app for common users, as example. Click Back Up Messages.
(3) Then D-Port Pro will prompt you some matters before backing up iPhone messages. Click Back Up.
(4) Wait for it to finish making the backup, and then click OK.
It's faster and easier than using iTunes or iCloud, and you can also extract the data selectively later.
4. How to Restore iTunes Backup to iPhone?
If you need to, you can also restore your iTunes backup to your iOS device at any time. If you want to restore your whole iTunes backup, you can use iTunes and follow the directions in the link here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. If you want to restore a partial backup using D-Port Pro, then follow the instructions on this page to get 2 ways to selectively restore iTunes backup.
You can use D-Port Pro in cases where you only need to restore data from one application, for example.
There are many ways to make backups for iPhone. You can use the official Apple methods to back up iPhone through iTunes or iCloud, or you can give yourself some flexibility and use iMyFone D-Port Pro to take control of your data. What may surprise you is that just like iTunes or iCloud, the backup function of D-Port Pro is totally FREE! Download and try it now!