We understand the struggles that Phillip is going through. So many people desperately need to protect their contacts by uploading contacts from iPhone to iCloud, but very few have the knowledge to carry it out. That's why we've put together this guide to help people.
1. How to Back Up iPhone Contacts to iCloud?
- First, you'll need to ensure that you have a solid connection by hooking your iPhone up to a Wi-Fi network. Once you're on Wi-Fi, you'll need to go to 'Settings', hit your name, and then touch 'iCloud'.
- Once you're in the 'iCloud' tab, you'll see 'iCloud Backup' with a little toggle button right beside it. All you need to do is make sure that is turned on (toggle button should be green).
- Once you've made sure the iCloud Backup is turned on, you'll need to tap 'Back Up Now' which is on the same screen. Remain on a Wi-Fi network until the backup is complete.
2. How to View Contacts in an iCloud Backup?
There are two main ways to view contacts in an iCloud backup which are completely free of charge.
1 Restore the iCloud Backup to iPhone
This one is simple to operate. You'll want to open Settings on your iPhone, and then follow this:
- Go to General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings then choose 'Erase Now'. Notice that Apple offers the function to backup and then erase your iPhone and you can choose it also if you need.
- Next, go into 'Apps & Data', touch 'Restore from iCloud Backup' and then log in your iCloud account. You'll then need to select the backup that you want to restore from the list provided.
- After the restore is complete you can view your contacts.
You cannot restore only contacts from iCloud backup to your iPhone. Apple’s restore function doesn’t allow restoring certain types of data. If you need to do so, check the link about how to restore Specific App from iCloud Backup.
2 Use a Free Data Viewer Tool
If the first method proves to be unsuccessful, or you wouldn't like to restore the whole iCloud backup, you can rely on a third-party tool such as iMyFone D-Port Pro to view contacts backed up to iCloud. iMyFone D-Port Pro is an incredible piece of software that allows you to view contacts in an iCloud backup for absolutely FREE. Alongside that, you can view 18+ different types of data, including WhatsApp messages, notes and voice memos. Plus, you can view data in an iTunes backup if you go down that route.
If you choose the second option – to use a data view tool, here's how to use iMyFone D-Port Pro to check your contacts in iCloud backup for free.
- Access the tool, enter the 'Extract Data from Backup' tab and then hit 'Download iCloud Backup'. You'll then be required to log into your iCloud account.
- Once you're in your account, you'll see a list of all the different iCloud backups that are available. Select the one you need and then press 'Next'.
- Choose the type of data that you want. In this case, hit 'Contact'. If you need, all types can be checked, also.
- The software will then begin to download and scan your backup for all the contacts. Once it's complete, you'll be able to preview all of the data and you don't have to pay for the preview function.
- You can pick and choose what you need. When you've found the ones you desire, hit 'Extract' to extract these contacts from your backup to computer.
Now, you know how to backup contacts on iPhone using iCloud and how to view them. But some people find it difficult to differentiate a full iCloud backup including contacts from contacts syncing to iCloud. Knowing the difference is crucial if you want to achieve your goal, so continue reading.
3. Backup Contacts to iCloud VS. Sync Contacts to iCloud
When you sync contacts from your iPhone to your iCloud account, you're basically mirroring them so that they appear on two different devices using the same iCloud account. But, if you were to delete a contact on one device, it would also be deleted on the other device that utilizes the same ID.
In contrast, an iCloud backup from iPhone is creating duplicates of all your contents so that they can be kept safe in your iCloud account. It doesn't matter what you do on your iPhone or another device, they'll still be there in your iCloud account. So, it's vital that you perform a backup to avoid losing your contacts.
Ultimately, by absorbing knowledge from this article and following our instructions, you’ll be able to easily back up contacts from your iPhone to iCloud and then view them. Does this article help? Just leave a comment!