When you started owning an iOS device, many of your friends must have told you about using iCloud or iTunes to make backups. Knowing the differences between iCloud and iTunes backup is essential when you wish to run your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in a better and safer way. Whether you want to free up the space on your device or simply want to avoid the situation of data loss, you can create backup with the help of iTunes and iCloud. Well! There's some vital differences between iCloud and iTunes backup which are what you will get to know in this post. Moreover, we will also tell you how you can access or restore your backups. Finally, we will introduce an alternative to iTunes and iCloud. Thus, without any more delay, let's begin to understand the differences between the two backups.
1. The Differences between iCloud and iTunes Backup
- One of the main differences between iCloud and iTunes backup is that iCloud saves copy of your data in cloud since it's a cloud service, whereas iTunes makes backup on your Mac or Windows PC.
- You need to create an iCloud account before backing up. Using iTunes, you can just backup your device once iTunes detects your device.
- Besides, you can do iCloud backup anywhere you go only if you have internet connected. When it comes to iTunes backup, you need to have a PC with you each time you wish to create backup. The iCloud service needs to have an active internet connection to work properly while iTunes works through the computer and needs to connect the device with the PC. iCloud backup can be done wirelessly.
- Another difference between iCloud and iTunes backups is the former provides you 5GB free storage to create backup and when you want to go beyond that, you need to purchase more space, whereas iTunes backup depends on the computer's storage space.
- One more difference between both backups includes encryption. The iCloud backup encrypts the backup always and in iTunes, you can choose to encrypt the data.
After learning the differences between iTunes and iCloud backups, let's learn how you can view the backups with the most effective way.
2. How to View and Export the Data in iPhone Backups
In order to export your data from backups, a highly recommended and flawless way would be iMyFone iTransor. It is third-party software which helps the users to carry out functions related to backup and restore iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, or extract their iOS data from backups. It works with all iOS devices without any complications, and more than this you can use it on Windows and Mac easily. With the help of iTransor, one can view and export over 18 data types. The tool assures full safety and privacy. Here are the steps to view and export data from iTunes or iCloud backup.
Step 1 – Download iTransor in your Windows or Mac computer and install it afterwards. Upon successful installation, run the program. On the left panel of the first screen, you'll notice 'Export from Device & Backup' option. Hit on it and proceed with the next step.
Step 2 – Subsequently, pick out the 'Export from Backup' tab to get into the next screen where you will find a list of all the backups you've made so far. From there, you can easily choose the needed iTunes or iCloud backup. Go ahead now and hit on the 'Next' button.
Step 3 – On the next screen, the data types will be displaying ready to get selected and scanned. All you need is to pick out the ones that you wish to export. Click on the 'Scan' button later.
Step 4 – the chosen data types will now begin to get scanned by the program. In the resultant window, hit on the data types one by one to view and to finish the process, click on 'Export' button. You can now view your data anytime you want on your PC.
3. How to Selectively Restore iPhone from Backup
With iTransor, you can also selectively restore iPhone from backup. That means you can restore partial data such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Messages, Contacts instead of the whole backup to your iPhone. The data restored can also be merged with the data in your device. While restoring with iTransor, you don't have to worry about any data loss or overwriting of the data. All in all, it will be the most sensible tool to use for the purpose.
Step 1 – Start with downloading the program on your computer, be it Windows or Mac. Install and then launch it for the commencement of the process. Now, when you see the main interface of the program, choose the 'Restore Backup to Device' option from the left panel. Select one backup from the list that comes on the next screen. Hit on 'Next' after selecting the backup file.
Step 2 – Once done with the selection, click on the 'Restore Partial backup' option which will help you restore your data selectively.
Step 3 – You will now visualize the data types on the next screen. Pick out the data that you desire to restore and then you are supposed to select one of the two options which are 'Preview & Restore' and 'Directly Restore' seen on the bottom right corner.
Step 4 – If you choose 'Preview & Restore' button, you can then preview the data that you selected prior to restoring it. Hit on 'Restore' after previewing it. If you choose the other option 'Directly Restore', you won't get the privilege to preview the data. Now, proceed to the next step.
Step 5 – As the last step, you can choose between 'Merge' and 'Replace' options appearing on the screen. Consider your needs to select the corresponding button on its basis.
4. An Free Alternative to iTunes and iCloud
iMyFone iTransor is also a Free backup tool for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. You can use it to backup all the data on your device or only back up Messages, Contacts, WhatsApp, WeChat. The backups will be stored on your computer and they will not overwrite the other backups.