Do you have important SMS messages on your device that you want to keep safe? One way to ensure the safety of your SMS messages is to back them up. An iTunes or iCloud backup is one way to back up the messages so you can restore them later when you need to. But as reliable as an iCloud or iTunes backup can be, the two methods do have a few shortcomings as we shall see very shortly in this article. We will also provide you with a revolutionary new solution to help you get your SMS backed up easily and efficiently.
1. How to Backup iPhone SMS Using iTunes
One way to back up your messages to keep them safe is via iTunes. The following simple steps show you how to do it.
Step 1: Launch iTunes on your computer and then connect the iPhone
Step 2: When it shows up in iTunes, select the device and then click “Back Up Now.”
Step 3: Keep the device connected through the process. Go to iTunes Preferences > Devices to see if the backup was completed successfully.
2. How to Backup iPhone SMS Using iCloud
You could also choose to back up your messages via iCloud. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1: Connect the iPhone to a Wi-Fi Network
Step 2: Go to Settings > “Your Name” and then tap “iCloud.” For iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud
Step 3: Tap “iCloud Backup” (tap “Backup” for is 10.2 and earlier) and make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on.
Step 4: Tap “Back Up Now” and stay connected to a Wi-Fi network until the process is completed.
Shortages of Using iTunes and iCloud
While both methods can be reliable in the backup and restore process. They do have a few insurmountable shortcomings. They include the following.
- With both iTunes and iCloud, you can only make a full backup. You can’t selectively backup the messages.
- Both processes are a little lengthy, taking up a lot of your time
- You are unable to restore just the messages from the backup later. In fact, you are unable to view the contents of the backup.
3. A Better Way to Back Up Only Your SMS Messages
If you want more control in the backup and restore process, iMyFone D-Port Pro gives you this unfettered control. With D-Port Pro you can easily backup your data in a single click, the whole process taking no more than a minute or two. D-Port Pro is designed to make the backup and eventually the restore process quick and easy. The following are some of the features that give you this control.
- D-Port Pro allows you to backup only your messages, WhatsApp/WeChat data.
- You can also choose to make a backup of all the data on your device.
- You can restore only messages, WhatsApp data, WeChat data from iTunes/iCloud/iMyFone backup to your device.
- Export data from your iOS device, iTunes backup and iCloud backup to computer easily.
How to Backup iPhone SMS Using D-Port Pro
Step 1: Install the program to your computer and then launch it. Connect the iPhone to your computer using USB cables and the program will detect the device automatically.
Step 2: Choose “Backup WeChat/ Backup WhatsApp/ Backup Messages” from the “Backup & Export from Device” tab.
Step 3: Click “Backup” and keep the device connected through the entire process.
Step 4: Wait for the backup process. When the backup is complete, you can also restore just the messages to your device in the future should you need to with the "Restore Backup to Device" feature.
Try iMyFone D-Port Pro right now!