Getting a new phone, while a great thing, comes with its share of problems. But lots of users are wondering how to get old contacts on new iPhone so that they don’t have to create contacts manually. This article highlights easy ways to this question and gets your old contacts on new iPhone without hassle, even when you use iOS 12. Read on to find the best one for your situation.
1. How to Get Old Contacts on New iPhone via iCloud?
You can get old contacts by restoring the new iPhone from a previous iCloud backup, if you’ve already created an iCloud backup for the old contacts. The process of restoring is quite simple and you can follow the steps below:
- If you haven’t set up the new iPhone, you should see a Hello screen after starting it. Follow the onscreen setup steps until you reach a page titled Apps & Data. If you have set up the new iPhone, check Where is the Apps & Data Screen on iPhone.
- Then tap on Restore from iCloud Backup.
- Log into iCloud with your Apple ID and password.
- Choose the backup which includes the old contacts you need. Then the new iPhone will automatically to restore old contacts and other data in the iCloud backup.
- If asked, sign in to your Apple ID account to restore purchased items from the App store or iTunes.
- The restoration can take a while depending on how much data needs to be restored. Stay connected and wait for a progress bar to appear and complete.
After restoration, you can finish setup and view old contacts on new iPhone.
2. How to Get Your Old Contacts on New iPhone via iTunes
As the other common service Apple offers, iTunes can help to get old contacts onto new iPhone by restoring your old backup. The following steps tell how to complete this:
- Open iTunes on the Mac or PC that you used to back up your old device.
- Connect your new iPhone to this particular computer and click the iPhone icon after iTunes detecting it.
- Select Restore Backup…which is under the option Backups.
- Look at the date and size of each backup and pick the one including the old contacts you would like to get.
- Click Restore and wait for the restore time to finish. Note that you need to enter the password for your backup if you had encrypted it.
- Keep your new iPhone connected. After it restarts you need to wait for it to sync with your computer.
Disadvantages of getting old contacts on new iPhone via iTunes/iCloud
Getting your old contacts on new iPhone via iCloud/iTunes restore is the most common way users will turn to when they need to get data to new iPhone. They are free and easy to operate. However, there are some inescapable disadvantages when restoring contacts:
1. iCloud/iTunes restore is Backup all or nothing deal. You need to get your whole backup and cannot get contacts only.
2. If users have set up and used the new iPhone for a time, the current data and settings on iPhone will be overwritten after iCloud/iTunes restore.
3. Issues may occur during iCloud/iTunes restore like iCloud Backup Restore Stuck on iPhone.
So how to get all old contacts on new iPhone without data loss? How to get old contacts only from iPhone backup instead of all the data? Is there an easy way to do this? The answer is yes and you can use a 3rd-party tool which offers more features than iTunes or iCloud.
3. Get Only Contacts on New iPhone without Data Loss
To get your old contacts on new iPhone, you can make use of a restore tool as an alternative to iTunes or iCloud. A recommended restore tool is iMyFone iTransor iOS data backup and reset tool. This software is specially designed to;
- Get only old contacts on new iPhone. Actually it can merge the old contacts with new contacts if you have created them on the new iPhone.
- Besides, it can transfer old SMS, WhatsApp or WeChat to new iPhone, also.
- Export 18+ types of data from iTunes/iCloud backup or iOS device to computer so you can fully utilize your data, like printing text messages.
- It is compatible with iOS 12 and the latest iPhone model, let alone the older ones.
Steps to Get Old Contacts Only on New iPhone via iMyFone iTransor
With iTransor, you can easily Get Old Contacts Only on New iPhone (a feat that iTunes and iCloud are yet to achieve). To do this, please follow the steps below after downloading and installing iMyFone iTransor on your computer.
- Launch iTransor and choose the "Restore Backup to Device" tab to select a backup which contains the old contacts you want to get on new iPhone.
- Select Restore Partial Backup > Contacts, then connect the new iPhone to iTransor. Click Directly Restore.
- Then you can select to either Merge or Replace the contacts. If you select Merge, the contacts will be combined with the already existing ones. If you select Replace, all your current contacts will be replaced.
- The restoring process will last for several minutes. When the process is finished, you can view the restored data on your device. The other data on your iPhone won't be overwritten.
And there you have it. All fixed. Now you may have known that to learn how to get all old contacts on new iPhone is not difficult, but a backup of your old contacts is necessary. How to do that and keep contacts safe?
How to Back Up Only Contacts on iPhone?
The common methods to back up contacts is using iCloud or iTunes (which backs up not only contacts but all the data on iOS device). Sending contacts to email and then download them to PC/Mac is also recommended is you have only one or two contacts to back up. Actually you can also back up contacts only for FREE with the help of 3rd-party tools. Check the article to know 4 options to backup iPhone contacts.
So you see, it is very possible to access your old contacts on your new phone. After following these steps, you should have your contacts saved and visible on your new iPhone. Remember that iMyFone iTransor backup and restore tool will help you restore your contacts to even the latest iPhone device and iOS version (i.e. iOS 12). Download and try it NOW!