Owning a new iPhone, especially a new iPhone Xs, iPhone Xr or iPhone Xs Max is a privilege for most of us. It's also a great tool to have around and sometimes it replaces the computer. But when you get a new iPhone, you have to figure out a way to restore the old iPhone to the new unit. Does it sound hard to do? It all comes down to finding the right tool.
1. Selectively Restore Old iPhone to New iPhone via iMyFone iTransor
iMyFone iTransor is a tool that allows you to selectively create a backup of your old iPhone and restore the backup to the new unit. The good thing is that you can restore only contacts, SMS, and even WhatsApp to new iPhone. Besides the features about backup and restore, you can easily view as well as export various kinds of data from your iPhone, iCloud or iTunes backup to computer in no time. We will show you how to restore old iPhone backup to new iPhone with this professional iOS data backup and restore tool.
How to Restore Old iPhone to New iPhone Selectively via iTransor?
To start the process of restoring old iPhone backup to new iPhone (iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max included), you need to download the program on your computer. Don't you worry, it offers a free trial to show users how to operate.
Creating a Backup of Old iPhone
Step 1. Open the program and select "Acquire Backup from Device & iCloud" > "Back Up Device".
Step 2. Then you will have to connect the old iPhone to the program. Then choose if you want a full backup or a partial one. If you choose the latter, you can select either contacts, messages, WhatsApp or WeChat. Press "Back Up".
Step 3. Wait until the backup process is completed and you will be good to go.
Restore Partial Backup to New iPhone
Step 1. Press the option “Restore Backup to Device” and select the backup just made. Click “Next”.
Step 2. Choose "Restore Partial Backup" and you will have to select the data type you want to restore. Then disconnect the old iPhone and connect the new one. You can "Preview & Restore" or "Restore Directly".
In view of you just made the backup and know clearly what's in it, you can click "Restore Directly" to save time.
Step 3.You can choose to "Merge" or "Replace" the data on new iPhone by the data in the old iPhone backup.
Step 4. The process will be completed as fast as possible.
The steps above allow you to selectively restore old iPhone to new iPhone, but you can easily transfer all the data as well - just choose the option “Restore Full Backup” if you want. Sure, you might say that iTunes and iCloud can do this too, but iTransor is the only tool that allows you to merge data on the old phone with data on the new one.
Apple comes with its own solutions when it comes to how to restore old iPhone backup to new iPhone. Now we will talk about these options and outline the way you can complete them at your own pace. Once you see them you will have no problem figuring out what's the best approach to restore old iPhone to new one.
2. How to Restore iCloud Backup from Old iPhone to New iPhone
Using iCloud back up old iPhone and restore the backup to the new one is very convenient and you don't have to do this on computer. Follow the steps as below:
Back Up Old iPhone to iCloud
- You will first have to connect the previous iPhone to Wi-Fi connection.
- Visit the Settings > Your Name > iCloud and then select iCloud Backup. You need to make sure that the option is on before you move onward.
- Now that the option is activated, tap Back Up Now. Depending on how much data you have, this will take a while.
The challenge here is that you have to stay online until the process is finished. Any interruptions will be catastrophic for the entire process, so try to take that into consideration.
Then let's restore old iPhone's iCloud backup to the new one. Take note that they must use same iCloud account.
Restore iCloud backup to New iPhone
- If you still haven't used the new iPhone, just open it and follow the steps until you get the Apps & Data screen. If you have set up and used your iPhone, see Where is the Apps & Data Screen on iPhone.
- Log in the same iCloud account and choose "Restore from iCloud Backup". Choose the iCloud backup made for the old iPhone according to time and size.
- Stay connected to Wi-Fi and wait for the process to complete. It may need a while which depends on the size and your Wi-Fi speed.
To restore old iPhone backup to new iPhone via iCloud is a good idea, but you are unable to do a partial backup and restore. What to make things worse is that error occurs during iCloud backup restore, such as iCloud Backup Restore Stuck. That's why you need to be super careful with stuff when you use the method.
3. How to Restore Old iPhone Backup to New iPhone from iTunes
iTunes is another option to restore old iPhone to new iPhone, including the latest iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max. Make sure that you have iTunes open on the computer and update iTunes to the latest version just to be safe.
Back Up Old iPhone to iTunes
- Connect the old device to iTunes and select the device.
- Press the Back Up Now button. In case you want to save the Health and Activity data you have to encrypt the backup. Otherwise you can ignore the option.
- Wait until the process is completed. See if it's in the iTunes preferences > Devices.
Send the Backup to New Device
- Open the new device and complete all steps until you reach Apps and Data. If you have used the iPhone, check how to get Apps & Data Screen on iPhone.
- Tap Restore from iTunes backup and connect the new iPhone to iTunes on the computer.
- Select the option to Restore Backup. Choose the backup you did earlier.
- In case you encrypted the backup, you will be asked for a password. Wait until the process is completed.
If you want to know how to restore old iPhone to new iPhone, especially iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max, don't hesitate and use iMyFone iTransor right away. This is a great tool and one that will help you get access to your favorite stuff in no time. It's a very reliable tool, and you won't have to handle any data loss either. Try its free trial version now and see what it can do for you!