This is one question we found in Apple Communities, and definitely it's not rare that iPhone users meet such problem especially after they get a new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max. So how to set up new iPhone from backup? We will discuss 3 different ways on this and you will get useful information from Apple's suggestion and an excellent 3rd-party tool.
1. Set Up New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from Backup with More Options
While Apple provides iPhone users with a detailed set of instructions to set up new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup, there's an alternate solution that can help you accomplish the task quickly. With just a few clicks, you can set up new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup using iMyFone iTransor.
iMyFone iTransor is a great alternative to iTunes and iCloud for setting up iOS device. The unique restore features offered by the software have already made it a hit among iPhone users worldwide. See what iTransor can do for you;
- Selectively restore data from iTunes and iCloud backups.
- If you have used the new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max, iTransor offers a merge feature which will restore data with no risk of any data loss.
- Preview data before restoring it to your new iPhone.
- It can back up iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max completely or selectively for free.
How to Set Up New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from Backup via iMyFone iTransor?
Here's how you can set up your new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup using the powerful features provided by iMyFone iTransor;
Step 1. Launch iMyFone iTransor on your Windows PC or Mac. Select 'Restore Backup to Device' option and choose one backup from the list. Click 'Next'.
Step 2. Pick the 'Restore Partial Backup' option.
Step 3. In the next step, select the data type you want to restore and connect your device to your computer. You can choose either of the two options – 'Preview and Restore' or 'Directly Restore.' If you need to check the data in the backup, choose 'Preview and Restore' and the program will scan the backup.
Step 4. Preview the selected data and hit the 'Restore' button. Now you can either 'Merge' the backup files with the existing files on your iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max or pick the 'Replace' option to replace the data on your iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max.
Step 5. Then just sit and wait for the process to be completed.
That's it. You have set up new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup with the data you need. Simple, isn't it? besides, iMyFone iTransor, you can also set up new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup via iTunes and iCloud. The two methods work, also. But they just cannot selectively set up new device. Anyway, read on to learn more.
2. Set Up New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from iTunes Backup
Follow these steps to set up new iPhone Xs, iPhone Xr, iPhone Xs Max from backup made by iTunes. Remember that this is an All or Nothing deal. You cannot restore partial data or settings from your iTunes backup.
- Open your iTunes account on the Windows PC or Mac that you used for creating the backup.
- Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Select your iPhone when it shows up in iTunes.
- Select 'Restore backup in iTunes.'
- Pick the latest backup and click 'Restore' to begin the photo restore process.
- Make sure you keep your device connected until the restore process is complete.
Now that you know how to set up new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup via iTunes. What if your backup is made by iCloud? You can follow the 3rd method to set up new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from iCloud backup.
3. Set Up New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from iCloud Backup
Make sure that the iCloud account on the new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max is same with the backup for old device. Then follow these steps to restore iCloud backup;
- Switch on the new iPhone and follow the setup details until you reach the Apps and Data screen.
- On the 'Apps and Data' screen, select the 'Restore from iCloud backup' and sign in to iCloud using your Apple credentials.
- Pick the iCloud backup you want to set up new iPhone from.
- Stay connected to the Wi-Fi while the backup is getting restored.
- Complete the setup process.
The disadvantage of using iTunes and iCloud to set up new iPhone is that it may take you up to several hours to complete the restore process. This is where the iMyFone iTransor method beats them to set up new iPhone Xs, iPhone Xr, iPhone Xs Max from backup of old phone.
4. What If You Want to Set Up a Used iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max?
All the 3 methods mentioned above focus on setting up a brand-new iPhone. But, what if you want to re-set up an existing iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max? Well, you can easily do it using the 'Apps and Data Screen.' Want to learn how to set up an old iPhone? Check this detailed article on How to Use the Apps and Data Screen.
Now that you know 3 different methods to set up your new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max from backup, you can pick the one that best suits your requirement. However, we highly recommend you use the iMyFone iTransor method as it is the most convenient and simple method to set up a new iOS device. Download its free trial version to check its excellent features.