“Hi, I have an iPhone 6 which contains lots of important content. I just wanted to know how to take backup of iPhone. My iPhone is running iOS 11. Please help because I don’t want to lose any of my data.”
If you have same question, we are glad that we can help you. We are writing this article for the purpose of making all the iPhone users aware of how to take backup of iPhone in different ways. Making a backup of the data not just prevents the loss of it but also helps you easily transfer the data if you buy a new device by simply restoring the data. Let’s cut the long story short and discuss about the ways on how to take backup of iPhone.
1 Use iMyFone D-Port Pro to Flexibly Take Backup of iPhone
To take backup of iPhone in a more flexible way, we would like to introduce iMyFone D-Port Pro (compatible with iOS 11). An amazing quality of this tool is that it can backup your data selectively unlike iTunes or iCloud and it will not overwrite the previous backup you made. In addition, you can view the backup and selectively restore partial backup with this tool.
- The tool allows you to selectively restore the backups made by iMyFone D-Port Pro, iTunes or iCloud.
- This tool helps you backup and restore WhatsApp data, WeChat data or messages separately instead of all the data on your device and the other data will not be affected.
- D-Port Pro can extract more than 20 types of files such as photos, videos, notes, contacts, WhatsApp messages and so on from your iOS device or the backup made by iTunes or iCloud.
- The program can support all iOS versions including iOS 11 perfectly.
1.1. Take a Full Backup of iPhone without Overwriting the Previous Backup
Here is how to take backup of iPhone completely via iMyFone D-Port Pro.
Step 1 – Connect the Device to PC
Start by downloading, installing and launching iMyFone D-Port Pro. Now, using a USB cable, connect your iPhone to the computer and enter the main interface.
Step 2 – Choose Make a Full Backup Options
Now the left panel of the interface will provide you few options from which you are required to select “Backup & Export from Device”. After this, click on “Make a Full Backup”.
Step 3 – Take Backup of iPhone
Now, as soon as the next screen appears, you have to click on “Back Up” for starting the backup process.
Don’t detach the device from computer and wait for the notification that will inform you that the process is done.
1.2. Take a Backup of WeChat, WhatsApp or Messages Separately
If you want to backup only WhatsApp, WeChat or messages, following is the tutorial given for this.
Step 1 – Launch the Program
Open your browser and download the program using the official website. Follow the installing instructions and launch the program afterwards. Connect your iPhone to the computer via a digital cable.
Step 2 – Choose the Data Type
When you will enter the main interface, a “Back Up & Export from Device” option in the left panel will be noticeable to you. Click on it and then select the data type you want to backup. For example, if you want WhatsApp backup, click on “Backup WhatsApp” and similarly, “Backup Messages” and “Backup WeChat” for messages and WeChat messages respectively.
Step 3 – Start to Backup
From the next screen, hit the “Back Up” button and your selected data will start to backup.
Make sure to keep connecting the device throughout the process. Once it is finished, you will get a notification that your data is saved successfully.
iMyFone D-Port Pro (compatible with iOS 11) offers free trial version, so just download it to have a try.
2 Use iTunes to Take Backup of iPhone
Although iTunes is the default iOS device manage app, it still has some sort of shortages. Let’s first understand the process with which users can backup their iPhone completely and further we will be discussing about its shortages.
- Launch iTunes on your PC and connect your iOS device to it using the lightening cord supplied with your iDevice. Note: Both the PC and iOS device must have the latest version of iTunes installed to avoid any errors popping up.
- After iTunes detects your iDevice, right-click on your iPhone or alternatively, hold down the “Ctrl” key and then hit on your iOS device appearing under “Devices” on the left panel.
- Lastly, hit on “Back Up” from the available options.
Some shortages of iTunes:
- iTunes doen't work when it comes to selectively backup certain types of data or restoring a particular data type out of the backup file to iPhone. It is because iTunes can only make a full backup your iDevice.
- Whenever a backup is made using iTunes, the previous backup file gets overwritten with the whole new backup file.
- iTunes version on both PC (Windows or Mac) and iOS device should be of latest one or else you may experience errors while backing up the device.
- You are not allowed to view or extract any data from the iTunes backup.
3 Use iCloud to Take Backup of iPhone
You can also use iCloud to take backup of iPhone. Here are the steps:
- Pre-requisite: Your device is having an active and stable WiFi or Cellular data connection.
- Open “Settings” of your iPhone, tap on “your name” and then hit “iCloud”. Note: If you own iOS version 10.2 or earlier, open “Settings” and hit “iCloud”.
- Lastly, scroll down to the bottom and tap on “Storage & Backup” or “iCloud Backup” and then click the “Backup Now” button.
Some shortages of iCloud:
- The backup made by iCloud can be viewed on iCloud.com. However, only several types of data are displayed.
- An internet connections is required to use this feature. If the network connection is not stable, you will not be able to enjoy this cloud storage service.
- iCloud service by Apple only provides 5GB of cloud storage. If you need more space, you would have to pay a monthly fee for it.
We are glad to help you by providing you different ways to take backup of iPhone. We hope that you would choose the right way for to take backup of iPhone and will be able to avoid any loss of data in the future.