Have you recently purchased Apple's latest flagship of iPhones? Or are you thinking about purchasing it? Having thoughts due to the idea of transferring data from your old phone to your new phone? Well, go ahead and purchase that phone because the solution for your worry is simple and there are many methods to do it. In this feature, you'll find about the different ways and tools used on how to transfer Old iPhone data to the new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max, check them out below!
4 Ways to Transfer Old iPhone to New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max
1. Using Quick Start
For this method, this is only usable for devices running in iOS 11 or later. Users can utilize Quick Start screen as it appears on your new device. The process of using Quick Start utilizes both devices, so it is better to do this at a time when the current device is not used for a several minutes.
- Turn the bluetooth on of your old iPhone.
- Turn on your new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max. Have your old iPhone beside you so that it can be easily accessed.
- As soon as the Quick Start Screen appears on the new iPhone, it will offer you the following options: Use your current Apple ID to setup your new iPhone or Set up a new Apple ID.
- Make sure to use your current Apple ID and tap Continue.
- On your new iPhone, wait for an animation to appear.
- Once you see the animation, hold your old iPhone over your new iPhone. Make sure to out the animation into the center of the viewfinder.
- If the process is successful, it should reflect a message that says "Finish on New [iPhone]".
- You will be prompted to enter the passcode of your new iPhone.
- You will further continue to setup Face ID and Touch ID on your new iPhone.
- Lastly, you will then be asked if you want to restore apps, data, settings from your recent iCloud backup and load it to your new iPhone. Should you want to update the backup data on your new iPhone, you will need a stable internet connection via WiFi.
- As long as there is exchange of data (apps, settings, etc.) the old and new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max should be kept close to each other.
Disadvantages of Quick Start:
- The process detailed above covers the basic process only; if you want messages, data from your social media apps such as WhatsApp and Wechat will not be transferred.
- This is only available for devices operating in iOS 11 or later.
2. Using iMyFone iTransor
iMyFone iTransor is software that has the capability to selectively and fully backup and restore data from iOS devices. This software is especially useful for users who want to select and preview the data they want prior restoration. Some of its major features include:
- Supported data type not only limited to iOS embedded apps such as WhatsApp, and WeChat.
- Supports transfer of selective data from one iOS device to another iOS device.
- Restore selective data to a current iOS device without experiencing loss of data on the current device. Instead, data will be merged together.
To use iMyFone iTransor to transfer old iPhone to new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max, the process is break down into two parts:
Part 1: Back Up the Old iPhone
Step 1. In the program window, select "Acquire Backup from Device & iCloud" > "Back Up Device".
Step 2. Connect your old iOS device to the computer and select between the two options available on the right column - "Make a Full Backup" or "Select One or More Data Type(s)". You can also specify the path of backup files to your desired directory.
Step 3. Click "Back Up". Afterwards, the backup process will now commence and once it is done, you will be notified.
Part 2: Restore Old iPhone to New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max
You have two options - "Restore Full Backup" and "Restore Partial Backup" from the backup of old iPhone. For both options, below is the initial process:
Step 1. Open the program and select "Restore Backup to Device"; a list of backups will be visible and choose the backup file you want to use; Click "Next".
Step 2. Select "Restore Partial Backup". Take note of "Restore Full Backup" will have similar steps. Connect your device to the computer. If you want to preview the data of old iPhone, click "Preview & Restore". If you are sure they are what you need, click "Directly Restore."
Step 3. In the next window, you will be asked to choose between two options: Merge & Replace and Fully Replace. Choose accordingly.
Step 4. The restoration will now start and once it is done, data will be available on the phone.
Users have the option to transfer the data they only need to be transferred, whereas other options offered in the post can only backup and restore ALL data within the iPhone and not selectively.
Disadvantage of iMyFone iTransor:
- The features of backup and data preview are free but the data restoration on the iPhone is charged with a minimal fee.
3. Using iCloud Backup Restoration
The usage of iCloud backup is done during the initial setup of the new iPhone. It simply restores data from iCloud backup to the new iPhone during initial setup. See detailed steps below. Note that you will be doing activities on old and new iPhone:
First, Back Up Old iPhone via iCloud
- Make sure that the iPhone is connected to WiFi. Log in to your iCloud account.
- Go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Make sure that iCloud Backup is toggled on.
- Tap "Back Up Now" and stay connected to the internet until the back up process is done
Second, Transfer Old iPhone to New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max
- Turn on your new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max. A "Hello" screen will appear if you haven’t had an initial setup. If you already processed setting up your iPhone, you will need to delete it by the Step: Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- When you reach the Apps & Data screen, choose "Restore from iCloud Backup".
- Provide your login details and password for iCloud. This is the same as your Apple ID details. The restoration process shall commence.
- After the restoration process, complete the initial set up by following the onscreen instructions. By keeping your new iPhone connected to the internet, it is automatically created a backup in your iCloud.
Disadvantages of iCloud Backup Restoration:
- iCloud cannot backup all types of data, it can only backup most data embedded in iOS native applications.
- iCloud storage is limited to 5GB, if the data you need to be transferred is more than that users will have to pay a fee.
4. Using iTunes Backup Restoration
Using the iTunes backup requires the use of PC to transfer the contacts data. If you find it more convenient to use the iTunes software, then this method is for you. It is similar to the iCloud Backup Restoration method, only that the backup data is stored in iTunes instead of iCloud. Learn the steps below:
To Be Done on Old iPhone:
- Plug in your iPhone with your computer. Open iTunes application, ensure that it is the latest version.
- On the menu bar located on the side of the iTunes window, select your iPhone. This is is usually denoted by a small phone icon.
- Select your Phone. On the Summary page, click "Back Up Now". This will prompt the back-up process.
- To check if the process is completed, go to iTunes Preferences > Devices. The name of your iPhone, date and time of backup should be reflected.
To Be Done on New iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max:
- Turn on your new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max. When you reach the Apps & Data screen, choose "Restore from iTunes Backup".
- At this point, connect your new iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max to the computer where your iTunes is installed.
- Open iTunes and select your new iPhone.
- Once your new iPhone is selected, choose "Restore Backup…" and select the backup you previously created. You can confirm that it is the correct backup file by looking at the date and size of the backup file.
- If it is an encrypted backup, enter the password when asked.
- The restoration process shall start after the selection of backup.
- After the restoration process, complete the initial set up by following the onscreen instructions.
Disadvantages of iTunes Backup Restoration:
- Users cannot select the data you want to transfer, the same way you cannot select the data you want to backup or restore.
- This method can only be used if the user has an iTunes installed in a computer.