“I wanted to restore my iPhone X using my iPhone 6+ but got this message. Do I need to upgrade both phones to latest iOS before proceeding? ip x is on 11.0.1 whereas ip 6+ is on 10. 3. Thanks in advance!”
Sometimes, it may so happen that your iTunes backup may fail to load properly. There can be various reasons for it. At times, the backup files become corrupt and sometimes they may not be compatible either. In such cases, the worst thing is the loss of data which will be entailed. So, you should make it a point to learn the best ways to fix it. Let us see what they are.
Part 1. Common Reasons for iTunes Backup Corrupt
Let us see some of the main reasons that are responsible for the backup being either corrupt or incompatible.
1. Backup Failed without Notice
Sometimes when you are making a backup, an error may have occurred but there was no message displayed. This gives you the false impression that the backup was done properly when in reality it was not so.
2. iOS Version Incompatibility
You need to understand that different iOS version can lead to problems on different devices. Suppose you try to restore an iOS 11 backup on your iPhone X, it is likely to show you an error. So, if you upgrade the iOS version and try to restore an old backup, it may lead to errors.
3. Not Enough Space
When you are trying to restore an iTunes backup, and there is a lack of space, it is going to lead to plenty of problems. You should always have ample free space on your phone when you opt for restoration of iTunes backup.
Part 2. Selectively or Fully Back Up with iTunes
Now that you knew the possible reasons which can lead to corrupt or incompatible backup, let us see the possible fixes for it. Try the following tips to solve it
Tip 1. Delete corrupt or incompatible backup
You can try to delete the corrupt or incompatible backup and here are the steps to be followed.
Steps for Mac
- Open iTunes and then click on iTunes in the menu bar.
- Now head to ‘Preferences’ and then click on the ‘Devices’ tab.
- Now you should choose the backup which you want to remove
- Now, click on the ‘Delete backup’ button
Steps for Windows
- Open iTunes and then click on ‘Edit’
- Now click on ‘Preferences’ and then move to ‘Devices’
- Now choose the backup file which you want to delete
- Now click on ‘Delete backup’
- Once the backup file has been deleted, you can restore your iPhone when you have created a new backup file.
Tip 2. Fully Back Up iPhone Without Data Loss
The above method may work but it can incur a loss of data. If you have important data you need to save, here is what you can do. iMyFone D-Port Pro is one of the top recommended software which you can use. This software is used to back up data iOS data and restore the backup to iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Here are some remarkable features that it offers.
- You can back up all the data and settings on your iOS device or only back up Messages, WhatsApp data and WeChat data.
- When restoring backup, it doesn’t leads to any kind of data loss, the old backup files won’t be overwritten.
- You can preview the content before restoring them and selectively choose specific data that you want to restore.
- It is reliable to use as it is highly recommended by Makeuseof, Macworld, Cult of Mac, etc.
Now that you know the features, let us see how to fix corrupt backup issues.
Step 1. Download iMyFone D-Port Pro on your system and install it, Now choose “Back up and Export from Device” and then click on “Make a Full Backup”.
Step 2. This will initiate the backup process, make sure that the device is connected during this whole process.
Step 3. When the backup is finished, you will be notified. You can then view the back up and even restore it to your phone.
Tip 3. How to Selectively Back Up Specific Data for iPhone
In order to selectively back up specific content, here are the steps to be followed.
Step 1. Make sure that your iPhone is duly connected to the same system. Choose ‘Backup and export from device’ option present in the left panel. Now, suppose you want to back up messages so choose the option of “Back Up Messages”.
Step 2. On the next screen that pops up, click on ‘back up’ to proceed. And the backup process will take for a while.
Step 3. When the backup is done, you will be notified about it and you can then view the backup file and even restore content from it.
So now that you know the different steps, decide which way you would like to use to restore the content to your iPhone. With this software, you can rest assured that your existing content will not be lost.
So, most people tend to prefer iMyFone D-Port Pro as this can help you deal with the troubles of corrupt and incompatible backup. Leave a comment below about whether you have successfully backed up with iTunes or you have any other questions.