“When I am trying to restore my iPhone X to the previous version using iTunes, I am receiving this error – “iTunes could not restore due to an error.” Can anyone help me with the same?”
Restoring iPhone with iTunes has helped to fix almost all kinds of problems. Thus iTunes is always the first choice for iPhone users when their device gets stuck, slows down after upgrading to iOS 11/11.1/11.2. However, iTunes is not a technical panacea, as a complicated program, iTunes restore errors also happens a lot, such as “iTunes cannot restore not enough free space”, “iTunes cannot restore because the backup was corrupt or not compatible”, etc. Fortunately, solutions are available to address these problems. Keep reading to get to know common iTunes restore errors and its fix.
Part 1. Fix iTunes could not restore the iPhone because an error occurred
1. Not Enough Space on iPhone:
The reason for the occurrence of the message is because of the absence of the needed space on the device. Go to Settings > General > Usage to check how much usage is available. If there is not enough space, free some of the content before creating a backup.
2. Backup is Corrupt or Incompatible
You will see this message of “iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible the iPhone that is being restored” when the backup available on the Mac or PC is corrupt or incompatible with the device that you are trying to restore. There might be something wrong when you make a backup with iTunes. You’d better delete the backup and try again.
3. Networking Problem
When there is an issue with the networking problem, then you will fail to reset the device. You can resolve the same by:
- Check the internet connection, as the restoration is a lengthy process and ensure that all the cables are intact.
- Apple’s servers go down from time to time. Ensure that you are not restoring the device during such period.
- If the firmware is different, iTunes fails to detect the same and complete the restoration process. Let iTunes download it automatically.
- Apple is preventing from signing a few firmware to stop jailbreaking and close security loop holes. If you are using such a firmware, then iTunes will pop-up with the message that there is an error.
4. Issue with USB Ports
In a few situations, the mistake that you see could be due to improper functioning of the USB port. Although iTunes may begin working at the start, it will soon throw a message when restoration starts. You can check if the issues have relation to USB ports by:
- Replacing the existing USB cable with Apple certified USB cable will let you know about the problem. Keep away from cheap cables.
- You can check the process by inputting the cable into a different USB port. A few ports of the system contain lower power and speeds. Try changing to others and check whether iTunes is allowing the completion of the process.
- Use a different Mac or PC to check for the errors.
- You can also check for any breakages of the cable. If there are any, you can replace them and perform the task.
- Avoid keyboard and USB hubs, and make a direct contact between the device the Mac or PC.
Part 2. Completely & Selectively Restore from iTunes Backup with an iTunes Alternative
Rather than restoring everything from a restore file, you can carry out selective restoration with the help of iMyFone D-Port Pro. The software also provides full restore feature too! It is a perfect alternative to iTunes, as it does not impose any restrictions on restoring data. Essential functions include:
- Flexible backup and restore only Messages, WhatsApp data and WeChat data without erasing all settings and content.
- It helps in restoring your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch from different backup files, such as iTunes/iCloud backup or backup made by D-Port Pro.
- It is completely compatible with iPhone 8, iPhone X running iOS 11, iOS 11.1 or 11.2 version.
- The trial version of this program allows you to preview the data for free and you can extract 18+ types of data from the device to computer.
1. Steps on How to Restore iTunes Backup with D-Port Pro
If you wish to proceed with complete backup, then iMyFone D-Pro provides two options – a full backup and partial backup.
Step 1: To create a full backup, click the “Restore a Full Backup” option from the main window. Connect the device and follow the instructions.
Step 2: iMyfone D-Pro will provide essential points that require your attention. Read them carefully and click Restore.
Step 3. Wait for the process to complete. Please don’t disconnect your device during the restoring process.
Step 4. After the process, you can check the restored data on your device.
2. Steps to Restore only WhatsApp data with D-Port Pro
Step 1: Use iMyFone D-Port Pro to back up only WhatsApp data on your iPhone, click “Restore Backup to Device” option and choose the WhatsApp backup file.
Step 2. After choosing the WhatsApp backup and click Next.
Step 3. All of the WhatsApp data will be displayed, you can preview them in advance and click “Restore”.
Step 4. The restoring process will last for several minutes. After the restoring process, you can view and use the WhatsApp data on your device.