An iCloud backup is one of the most important steps you can take to keep the data on your iPhone safe. It guarantees that you will always have a copy of the data on your device to restore from should you lose any of it. And given how easy it is to lose data on your device, its importance cannot be overstated. Creating an iCloud backup is very easy; you can even set your device to automatically backup to iCloud.
Should you need to restore the backup at some point, this article shares with you two distinct ways to restore an iCloud backup to an iPhone 8 or iPhone X.
1 Restore Your iPhone 8/X from an iCloud Backup Entirely
Follow these steps to use the traditional way to restore an iCloud backup.
Step 1: Unless you are setting up a new device, you will need to, first of all, erase all its contents. To do this go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This should take you to the setup screen.
Step 2: Follow the setup assistant prompts until you get to the Apps & Data Screen. Here, select “Restore from iCloud Backup.” Sign in to iCloud and select the most relevant backup. Then stay connected to the Wi-Fi network until the process is complete.
Shortcomings of the Apple Method
The Apple method does however have a few shortcomings. The whole process can take up to an hour to complete depending on the strength of your Wi-Fi connection. You are unable to see what’s in the backup and therefore cannot selectively restore certain files over others. And all the current data on your iPhone must be erased before restoring.
2 New Way to Restore iCloud Backup to iPhone 8/X Selectively
If you want a faster way to restore only certain data from your iCloud backup without erasing data on your device and one that also gives you more control in the process, you might want to try using iMyFone iTransor. This backup and restore tool allows users to easily again access to an iCloud backup and restore data to devices selectively. Its main features include the following.
- It allows you to restore only Contacts, Messages, WhatsApp or WeChat data as opposed to all the data from iCloud backup without erasing all data on your device.
- It also allows you to back up all the data and settings or back up only Contacts, SMS, WhatsApp, WeChat data.
- Allow users to export nearly 20 different types of data from iCloud backup to computer.
- It is compatible with the latest iOS 12 version.
How to Use iTransor to Restore an iCloud Backup
Follow these simple steps to download and restore an iCloud backup using iTransor. First, you need to download and install the program to your computer and then launch the program.
Step 1: Download iCloud Backup
- Launch the program and the choose “Acquire Backup from Device & iCloud” then “Download iCloud Backup” from the main window.
- Log in to iCloud to see the iCloud backups in your iCloud account.
- Select an iCloud backup you’d like to restore and then choose the types of data you want to restore (this will reduce the time it takes to download the file).
Step 2: Restore Data from iCloud Backup without Reset
- Select the backup you just downloaded from the "Restore Backup to Device" tab and click on the "Next" button.
- Connect your device to computer and choose the data types you want to restore. iTransor supports to restore SMS, contact, WhatsApp, WeChat for now. In the future version, more types of data will be supported.
- You could choose to preview data before restore or restore the data directly. What's more, iTransor allows you to merge data in iCloud backup and your device to avoid any data loss.
- Click “Preview & Restore” or "Directly Restore" to restore the data to your iPhone 8/X as you want.