Can you practically restore iPhone without iCloud? In fact, this is a commonly asked question by many novice iPhone users when they have to restore the backups. A restoration of a backup may be required after resetting an iOS device or after major iOS updates.
Many iOS device users depend solely on iCloud thinking that is the only way to restore iPhone or other iOS devices. However, there are better alternatives to iCloud when it comes to restoring backups on iPhone. Users may need an alternative to iCloud because:
- The free storage capacity of iCloud is limited to 5GB.
- iCloud doesn’t restore selective data and you need replace all your current data from the backup.
- iCloud restores backups through Wi-Fi connection only.
Part 1: Restore iPhone without iCloud Free by Using iTunes
One of the widely accepted ways to restore iPhone without iCloud is iTunes. In fact, iTunes is also a service offered by Apple. If you are looking for a free alternative to iCloud, you may try iTunes and restore your iPhone. Following is the method you should adhere to when restoring a backup through iTunes.
- Launch iTunes on your computer (Mac or PC). Now, connect the device to the same computer using the original USB cable.
- Follow the onscreen instructions if a message appears asking for a passcode or to Trust This Computer.
- Select the iOS device (iPhone, iPod touch or iPad) when prompted in iTunes. Now, you should select the option called “Restore Backup” found in iTunes.
- Go through the list of backups available in iTunes and find the latest or most relevant backup to restore.
- You should click on the option called “Restore” and wait for the process to be completed. If prompted by the iTunes, you should provide the password for encrypted files that needs to be restored. Be sure that the device is connected once it restarts. Wait for the device to synchronize with the computer. Don’t disconnect the device until the synchronization process completed.
Advantages and Disadvantages of using iTunes instead of iCloud
When compared to iCloud, iTunes comes with certain set of advantages and disadvantages as a restoration tool. In this section, we list down those advantages and disadvantages for your reference.
Advantages of iTunes
- iTunes does not work based on a Wi-Fi network connection. Instead, it establishes a connection between the computer and device through a USB cable. That means, the connection is steadier and more reliable when it comes to iTunes.
- It is a free service and there is no limit of data transferring. Whereas the iCloud requires you to subscribe more capacity after exceeding the limit of 5GB.
- It can backup all your data and settings.
Disadvantages of iTunes
- iTunes does not have the ability to restore selective data found on a backup. That means, it does not allow you to pick certain category of files to restore. It’s all or nothing!
- When it comes to restoring data, iTunes overwrites the existing backups. This can be an issue for users who also need to keep some files of the current data.
- iTunes takes up substantial amount of disk space and it can slow down the overall operation of your computer.
- iTunes does not allow users to view the backup content.
Part 2: Restore iPhone without iCloud Free with Professional Restore Tool
Actually, other than iTunes and iCloud, there is no totally free ways to restore. Luckily, there are some free trial versions with these restore tools. As you may understand by now, both iTunes and iCloud have certain drawbacks when it comes to restoring backups. If you are looking for a reliable, speedy and efficient tool to restore iPhone without iCloud, we recommend you using iMyFone iTransor backup and restore tool.
Let’s take a look at the most notable features associated with this professional iPhone restoration tool.
- It is capable of backing up and restore of selective types of files such as WeChat, SMS, Contacts, WhatsApp.
- It can extract data powerfully and efficiently through backups such as iCloud, iTunes and iMyFone backups.
- It can identify and export more than 18 types of files in iCloud, iTunes and iOS device.
- It is perfectly compatible with all the iOS versions and iOS devices including iOS 12.
How to Restore iPhone with iTransor Backup and Restore Tool
- Download and install the software on your computer. Launch it and go to "Restore Backup to Device" section, you will see all backups on your computer.
- Choose one you need and click "Restore Partial Backup" to continue.
- On the next screen, tick the data types you want to restore only. Meanwhile, connect your device to computer successfully and make a decision between “Preview & Restore” and “Directly Restore”.
- If you choose to restore directly, you can save some time on previewing. Then select one option from "Merge" and "Replace" after reading the on-screen notes. At the completion of restoring, you can view the data easily on your device.
Advantages and Disadvantages of iMyFone iTransor
Advantages of iTransor
- Selective restoring options
- It doesn’t overwrite current data on device
- It doesn’t depend on Wi-Fi connection
- View data before restoring
- Free trial version before purchasing
- Easy to use
Disadvantages of iTransor
- It is not a completely free service
Tip: How Do I Back up My iPhone without iCloud?
If you don’t want to use iCloud, you may consider using iTunes to back up your iPhone. However, iTunes possess its own set of drawbacks. For example, it doesn’t back up and restore selective data and it overwrites existing data. Therefore, it is always better to go for a all-inclusive, comprehensive backup software like iMyFone iTransor.
We strongly believe that the methods we have mentioned in this article helped you to restore iPhone without iCloud. You may try any of those options depending on your preference. We really appreciate if you can spend a minute to leave us a feedback about the overall experience you have with the methods we mentioned.