Most people choose to back up their iPhone data on iTunes as it is one of the most advantageous ways to keep their data safe. Not only is creating a backup in iTunes easy, it also doesn’t require too much, for instance, you don’t need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network to create an iTunes backup. It is also just as easy to restore the backup when you need to although as we shall see shortly the official way to restore an iTunes backup can have its own shortcomings.
This article will explore two ways to restore an iTunes backup entirely or selectively. Keep reading for a solution that will provide you with more control when it comes to the data restore process.
1 The Official Way to Restore an iTunes Backup
The official process to restore an iTunes backup is simple as the following steps clearly demonstrate.
Step 1: Launch iTunes on your computer and connect the iPhone to the device using USB cables.
Step 2: Select the iPhone when it appears in iTunes and then click on “Restore Backup.”
Step 3: Select the most relevant backup and then click “Restore.” Wait for the process to finish. You may be required to enter your password if the backup you selected was encrypted.
Like we mentioned before, this method although effective does have a few shortcomings.
- For instance, you are unable to view the backup file itself and as such cannot see the individual files in the backup.
- You can therefore not selectively restore only a section of the data; you can only restore the entire backup.
- It is also quite time-consuming and may take quite a while to complete the process.
2 Restore iTunes Backup to iPhone 8 Selectively Using D-Port Pro
There is a tool that overcomes all the problems you may face with the official method to ensure you restore any or all data on your device quickly and effectively. That tool is iMyfone D-Port and the following are some of the features that make it the ideal tool.
iPhone Backup & Restore Tool (Coming Soon)
- You can choose to restore only Contacts, Messages, WhatsApp messages, WeChat messages from iTunes backup without overwriting all the other data on the device.
- You can choose to backup and restore just Messages, WhatsApp and WeChat data individually.
- It can come in handy when you want to export data from device, an iTunes backup or an iCloud backup.
- It is compatible with the new iOS 11.
How to Restore an iTunes Backup to your iPhone 8 Using D-Port Pro
To begin, download and install the program to your computer. Launch it and then follow these simple steps to restore your iTunes backup to iPhone 8.
Step 1: From “Restore Backup to Device ” tab choose an iTunes backup.
Step 2: Then choose “Restore Partial Backup” and connect your iPhone 8 to the computer using USB cable.
Step 3: Click “Next” to process. The “Restore Partial Backup” feature will restore only the selected data from backup to device wihout overwriting the other data.
Step 4: Choose the type of data you want to restore from iTunes backup and wait for the scanning. Choose the data you want to restore when scanning is complete and then click “Restore”.Do not disconnect the device from the computer until the process is complete.
You can also choose to restore full backup to your device. Simply choose “Restore Full Backup”. The program will take a few minutes to restore the full backup to device.