Do you want to restore old WhatsApp messages from your backups—but only the WhatsApp messages? This can seem like a challenge at first. After all, usually you can only restore an entire backup, not parts of it. Luckily, there are ways to restore partial backups. Here are a few:
Restore WhatsApp Messages Only on iPhone Using iCloud
If you want to restore just your WhatsApp messages only, then you can use iCloud. It's not that difficult to do and only takes a few minutes—of course, that's assuming that you have made a backup of your WhatsApp messages on iCloud in the first place. This also only works if you've uninstalled and then reinstalled WhatsApp. Here is how you do it:
(1) Assuming that you made a backup to iCloud previously (by going into WhatsApp > Settings > Chat Backup > Backup Now), reinstall WhatsApp to your phone.
(2) Sign in with the same account with which you backed up the messages.
(3) The app itself should prompt you to restore the back up. Just tap Restore Chat History to do this.
Use a 3rd-party iPhone Restore Tool to Make It Easier
Another method that you can use is to restore your messages with a third-part application like iMyFone D-Port Pro. This is software that you install on your computer and it allows you to acutally view and extract the contents of a backup, and from there you can restore only the data that you want (like your WhatsApp messages).
- You can back up and restore not only WhatsApp messages, but also attachments and audio messages.
- You can also back up and restore other kinds of data, such as messages and data associated with WeChat and other apps.
- You can view your WhatsApp data and all kinds of other data easily.
- Best of all, it supports both modern iPhones that use iOS 11 (such as the iPhone X), as well as older models of iPhone and other iOS devices.
With iMyFone D-Port Pro, you can extract WhatsApp messages from your old iTunes backup. Alternatively, you can also back up your WhatsApp messages now using D-Port Pro and restore them whenever you need as well. Here is how you restore just your WhatsApp messages with D-Port Pro:
Restore Only WhatsApp Messages on iPhone from iTunes
(1) Plug your phone into your computer and open up D-Port Pro.
(2) Click where it says Restore Backup to device in the sidebar, and then choose an iTunes backup that you want to restore from. Click Next.
(3) Click where it says Restore Partial Backup on the main screen. Next, choose WhatsApp as the third-party IM app that you want to restore. After scanning, preview the WhatsApp messages from the list of data on the screen, then click Restore.
(3) Wait and don't disconnect your iPhone until the restore has been finished.
Selectively Back Up and Restore WhatsApp Data on iPhone
Now, how do you backup and restore WhatsApp data natively on iMyFone D-Port Pro without using your iTunes backup? Here is how to selectively back up your WhatsApp data so that you're not wasting your time backing anything else up:
(1) Open D-Port Pro and connect your phone to your computer. In D-Port Pro click where it says Back Up & Export From Device in the sidebar.
(2) Click Back Up WhatsApp, then click Back Up at the bottom of the next screen.
(3) Wait while the program backs up your data.
Now, to restore this same data, you simply do this:
(1) In D-Port pro, click Restore Backup in the sidebar.
(2) Choose your WhatApp backup from the list. Click Next.
(3) On the next screen, click Next again, then choose WhatsApp data from your WhatsApp backup and click Restore.
(4) After restore, all the data in the WhatsApp backup will be back on your iPhone.
There are many ways to single out WhatsApp data and restore only this data to your iPhone, but one of the easiest ways to do this is with iMyFone D-Port Pro. With D-Port Pro you can back up and restore all kinds of data, and store the backups wherever you want. Even better, you can extract specific kinds of data from your old backups. What will excite you more is that the function of backup on this program is totally FREE! Download and use it to back up your data right now!