Are you wondering about how to back up your SMS data and restore it on your iPhone? Do you want to specifically save your SMS on your computer or some external location to keep them safe? Do you want to avoid the hassle of having to back up all of your data together and just want to save your SMS messages? Let’s look at some ways to do this:
Old Method to Backup and Restore iPhone SMS – iTunes and iCloud
The most obvious way to back up any kind of data on your iPhone—including your SMS messages—is by using iTunes or iCloud to back up and restore your iPhone. There are a few shortcomings, though:
1) You can’t selectively choose to back up and restore your SMS data only. You have to back up all the data on your phone.
2) Whenever you back up your iPhone using iTunes, it can overwrite previous backups that you might have made.
3) If you use iCloud, it only gives you 5 GB of free space, and you have to start paying after that. Since you can’t just back up your SMS messages alone, and you have to back up your whole phone, it’s very easy for you to go over the limit.
Better Method to do SMS backup and restore on iPhone – iMyFone D-Port Pro
If you’ve never heard of iMyFone D-Port Pro, it’s an incredibly easy to use application that allows you to back up and restore the data on your iPhone. Unlike iTunes and iCloud, though, you can back up and restore data selectively if you need to. This means that you can choose to extract your SMS messages alone and you don’t have to back up the rest of the data on your iPhone. Its features include:
- You can back up and restore data selectively (such as just your SMS messages).
- It won’t overwrite your old backups with your new backups, whether it’s a full or partial backup.
- You can export over 20 types of data from your iPhone or from your iPhone backups to your computer.
- You can back up and restore popular apps like WeChat and WhatsApp.
- You can store your backups wherever you like on your computer.
The following is the steps to backup and restore iPhone SMS without affecting other data in your backups and iPhone. The whole process is pretty straightforward and easy to follow. Just check it:
How to Back Up SMS on iPhone
Here is how to back up your SMS messages on your iOS device using D-Port Pro:
(1) Download and install D-Port Pro, then plug your device into your PC or Mac.
(2) Launch D-Port Pro and click on the side where it says Back Up & Export from device.
(3) Click Back Up Messages, then the program will show you some points before it starts. Then click Back Up.
(4) Now you simply wait until the program is done backing up your messages. Don’t unplug your device during this process.
How to Restore SMS on iPhone
Here is how to restore you SMS messages to your iOS device using D-Port Pro:
(1) Connect your device to your computer and launch D-Port Pro. Click where it says Restore Backup to Device on the left sidebar.
(2) When the backup list comes up, choose your message backup and click Next.
(3) Click Next again if you are sure you want to restore the messages, and the application will begin scanning for your individual SMS messages.
(4) The software will show you a preview of your messages. Read through them if you’d like and click Restore at the bottom if you want to restore them. Don’t disconnect your device until this process is done.
While you can use iCloud or iTunes to make whole backups of your device, if you want to just back up one kind of data only—such as SMS messages—then you will need to use more advanced software. iMyFone D-Port Prois a great SMS backup and restore app for iPhone that gives you the freedom to back up and restore your SMS messages selectively.