Apple devices are among the most used technological gadgets in the world. Due to the need for data safety and security, Apple regularly encourages its users to ensure they back up their iPhones, iPads, iPods and other Apple products. This ensures that you retain your information should you lose or damage your device.
But should this misfortune occur, will you have to get another iPhone to restore the backup and check your photos or text messages from the backups? The answer is simply NO. Backup extractor software has made it possible to view and retrieve important information from your backups. Here the post tells what make a good iPhone backup viewer and the top 7 iPhone backup viewers for Mac 2018, which are compatible with the latest iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max and iOS 14/13/12.
- How to Check for the Validity and Functionality of an iPhone Backup Viewer
- Comparison Chart for the Top 7 iPhone Backup Viewers for Mac
- iMyFone iTransor iOS Backup and Restore Tool
- iMazing iPhone Backup Extractor & Browser
- iMobie PhoneRescue
- iBackup Viewer
- Jihosoft iPhone Backup Extractor
- Reincubate iPhone Backup Extractor
- iExplorer iPhone Manager
How to Check for an iPhone Backup Viewer
There are a number of iPhone backup viewers available for when you need to extract your data. However, before going out and getting this software, the following criteria will help you decide on the best one.
Data Types Supported: Be sure to look out for what data types this iPhone backup viewer supports. For most people, the most important data includes contacts, messages, WhatsApp messages, notes or some other SNS apps.
Backup Resources Supported: Be sure to check whether the backup viewer for Mac supports both iTunes backup and iCloud backup of your device.
Compatibility: It is no secret that Apple regularly rolls out new versions of the iOS. Ensure you choose an iPhone backup extractor that supports a wide selection of iOS versions – it's better to cover from iOS 9 to iOS 14. Also, be sure to check the model of your device to see if it is supported by a specific backup viewer. If it doesn't support iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max, then we cannot say that it is a good one.
Usability: With a wide selection of software available there is no need for users to choose one iPhone backup viewer that is ugly and hard to use. That's why the design and usability of an iPhone Backup Extractor are also one of the key criterions.
Reliability: A good iPhone backup viewer should be safe and virus-free, and able to extract and display your backup file without crashing.
Cost: Sadly, it is not easy to come across iPhone backup viewers that are free and reliable to use. Most require subscriptions to access most features. As extracting your important personal data from backup is crucial, compare the prices of said backup viewers before buying them.
Comparison Chart for Top 7 iPhone Backup Viewers
We will discuss the top 7 iPhone backup viewers for Mac selected based on the above 6 criterions. But before we start, you can check the comparison chart for these tool to get a rough idea about them.
|Apps and Metrics||Data Types Supported||Backup Resources Supported||Compatibility||Usability||Reliability||Cost|
|iMyFone iTransor||18+ types including both built-in and 3rd-party apps: WhatsApp, messages, contacts, photos, voice memos, and more.||Both iTunes and iCloud backups.||Compatible with Mac (MacOS Mojave included) & Windows. Supports iPhone 4s to iPhone Xs Max, iOS 9 to iOS 14.||Clear Tabs and interface instructions.||Recommeded by authoritative tech websites (Use of, Cult of Mac and more).||$39.95 for Basic (1-5 devices/1 year)|
|iMazing iPhone Backup Extractor & Browser||11+ types: photos, messages, contacts, notes, voice memos, voicemail, and more.||iTunes Backup||Compatible with both Mac and Windows. Supports every iPhone models.||The display of interface is disordered.||Good ratings from review websites.||$44.99 for Single (1 computer)|
|iMobie PhoneRescue||8+ types: pictures, videos, messages, notes, calendar, Safati and apps data.||Both iTunes and iCloud backups.||Compatible with Mac (MacOS Mojave included) & Windows. Supports iPhone 5 to iPhone Xs Max, iOS 5 to iOS 12.||Clear interface and instructions.||Recommeded by authoritative tech websites (Computerworld, BGR and more).||$49.99 for Single (1 computer)|
|iBackup Viewer||13+ types: contacts, call history, SMS and iMessage, WhatsApp Messages and more.||iTunes Backup||Compatible with both Mac and Windows.||Too huge even for large-size screen and too much blank space.||Chrome prompted unsafe when we open its page (but the page is normal).||$39.95 for Single (1 computer)|
|Jihosoft iPhone Backup Extractor||15 types: contacts, photos, messages, voice memos, WhatsApp and more.||iTunes Backup||Compatible with both Mac and Windows.||Straightforward interface.||Unknown||$35 for Personal (1 devices/1 Mac/Lifetime)|
|Reincubate iPhone Backup Extractor||11 types: camera roll, photo stream, contacts, messages, WhatsApp, and more.||Both iTunes and iCloud backups.||Compatible with Mac & Windows. Supports iPhone X, iOS 12 and earlier.||Easy to follow.||Recommeded by authoritative tech websites (Cnet and more).||$34.95 for Basic (only for iTunes backup/1 year)|
|iExplorer iPhone Manager||12 types: contacts, messages, voicemails, call history, and other built-in apps.||iTunes Backup||Compatible with Mac and Windows. Supports iPhone Xs and iOS 12.||Slow to open but smooth to use.||Established since 2008, professional team in Boston.||$39.99 for Basic (1 computer)|
iMyFone iTransor iOS Backup and Restore Tool
iMyFone iTransor is an professional iOS data backup and restore software that could help you selectively backup and restore data, and extract data from both iTunes and iCloud backups. Check the main features of the iPhone backup viewer:
- Supports to export 18+ types of data, including contacts, call history, SMS and iMessages, WhatsApp, notes from both iTunes or iCloud backup.
- You can preview the data in backups without any payment, which is practical for users who are not sure about the content in the backup.
- It can selectively back up iPhone data and restore data from iTunes/iCloud backups to iPhone.
- It can directly export data from iPhone/iPad to computer, also.
- Always updated for the latest iPhone models and iOS version, including iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max and iOS 14/13/12.
Pros and Cons of iMyFone iTransor
- The software supports not only built-in apps, but also 3rd-party social apps such as WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik, Viber and Line.
- Users can extract and save the data as HTML, CSV, XLS. For 3rd-party social apps, users can view their conversations, just like view them on their iPhone if they save it as HTML format.
- Its feature of backup is totally for free.
- It may take a little long time to download iCloud backup if users need to view data in one iCloud backup which is in large size.
iMazing iPhone Backup Extractor & Browser
This iPhone backup extractor & viewer for Mac allows its users to easily navigate their iTunes backup files on a dedicated and aesthetically pleasing file browser. It also gives the user the capability to copy entire folders from backup files to their desktops. It is also very easy to use as one can simply accomplish all this using a simple drag and drop action on their PC or MacBook.
It displays the data files in a similar manner to your Apple device. iMazing also features pleasing and straightforward interfaces that make it easy for the users to view their photos, messages, contacts, notes, voice memos, voicemail, call history and apps. The iPhone backup viewer also gives the users the option of recovering their files in many formats such as PDF, CSV, and Text format.
Pros and Cons of iMazing iPhone Backup Extractor & Browser
- Users can edit their backup files even if they are encrypted.
- Doesn't need you to jailbreak your device.
- Offers access to a highly skilled and polite service team.
- Doesn't support the common social apps such as WhatsApp and Kik.
- The guide to the feature extracting data from backup is not clear.
- The free trial version offers few features.
The iMobie PhoneRescue is a backup viewer program that can be used on Mac and allows its users to recover both lost and deleted files from their iOS devices. It supports the viewing and recovery of more than twenty-two different file types from both iCloud and iTunes backups.
A unique feature of this iPhone backup viewer is that it can view and recover data from all models of iPads, iPod and iPhone. Users who use this backup recovery program can view backed up data such as contacts, call history, SMS messages, safari history, pictures, voicemail and voice memos.
- Allows users to recover information from corrupt backups.
- Allows users to recover information deleted from both their backups and devices.
- One can't use the trial version to extract backups.
- It is mainly used to recover lost or deleted data from iOS devices. The feature to extract data from backup is kind of additional.
With the iBackup viewer, users are able to easily view and scan their data in the iTunes backup that is on their computers. The program supports the extraction of data files such as messages, internet, call history, contacts and photos from iTunes backups.
This program enhances the user's experience by helping them locate all iPhone backup files on computer. It has an easy to use and straightforward interface that enables users to easily use the program even without a technical background or knowledge. The iBackup Viewer can extract data files from an iTunes back while offering the user access to a preview of the data before extraction.
- The program was designed to find all of iPhone backups on a computer.
- An aesthetically pleasing and easy-to-use interface.
- Easily extracts information from iTunes backups.
- The free version is not as powerful as the fully activated version.
- The program can't extract or view data from an iCloud backup.
- the iBackup viewer cannot retrieve information from overwritten backups.
Jihosoft iPhone Backup Extractor
The Jihosoft iPhone Backup Extractor is a backup utility program that enables its users to extract a wide selection of data files from an iTunes backup file. This makes it easy to separate the backup file without overwriting the existing data. Once this is done, the user can then extract data from iTunes backup selectively.
- Supports to extract photos stored in Photo Stream.
- The backup viewer helps users navigate a number of situations to get their data
- In its product page we can see the latest iPhone model it supports is iPhone X, but not iPhone Xs/Xr/Xs Max which are released in 2018.
Reincubate iPhone Backup Extractor
This is one of the best iPhone Backup Extractor available. This gem from Reincubate won the tech giant an award in the UK for its innovativeness. The backup viewer extracts a number of files that includes photos, messages, videos, notes, contacts, and WhatsApp messages from both iTunes and iCloud Backups.
The Reincubate iPhone Backup extractor stands out from the rest as it also recovers passcode information from the backup file. The backup viewer will also give its users access to recovered iPhone and iPad data.
The utility program comes in a free to use and premium version. The free edition only supports iTunes backup while the premium version allows users to extract data from both iTunes and iCloud backups.
- The utility program can extract data from both iTunes and iCloud backups files.
- It can extract files from corrupted and encrypted backup files.
- The utility program can't extract backup files from iOS devices directly.
- The free version only supports to preview iCloud backup data.
iExplorer iPhone Manager
iExplorer is a little gem from Macroplant LLC that allows users to access apple devices like iPhone's file system with ease without jailbreaking their devices. It also lets users manipulate backups to access messages, contacts, and even voicemails.
While it allows users to back up photos, music, and videos in a relatively simple manner, iExplorer can browse and extract iPhone backups. It allows its users to view these backup files before extracting them. iExplorer also allows its users to choose how often it should get rid of old and outdated iPhone backup files.
- The free version of iExplorer allows its users to access premium functions such as the ability to export the raw data from backup files.
- It is relatively light and doesn't stress your computer's processing capabilities.
- The retrieve function of iExplorer can only be used by premium subscribers.
With all this information at hand, it should be easy to choose between a premium and free iPhone backup extractor. They will help you to extract your contacts, messages, photos, call history, voicemail and other data from iTunes and iCloud backup.