Do you have a new iPhone and want to transfer your data from your old one? Do you want to share your files with a friend? Do you simply have two iPhones and you want to send data from one to the other?
There can be many reasons why you would want to transfer data from one iPhone to another. How do you do it efficiently, though? Should you use iTunes, or is there a better way? Let's explore this below:
What You Should Know before Transferring iPhone to iPhone
The two most obvious methods for transferring data from one iPhone to another are using iCloud or iTunes. For both of these methods, the steps are similar. First, you back up one of the phones, and then you simply restore that backup to the second iPhone. This is fairly easy, but there are also certain restrictions that come with these official methods (which we'll discuss more below).
For now, though, let's take a closer look at how to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone using iCloud or iTunes:
How to Transfer from iPhone to iPhone Using iCloud
Transferring files from one iPhone to another iPhone using iCloud is fairly straightforward. Here is how you do it:
(1) First, sign out of all of your accounts and unpair any devices from your first phone (the one you're transferring the data from), such as your Apple Watch.
(2) Make sure that the first iPhone is also connected to a strong WiFi network.
(3) On your phone, go to Settings > [The Name on Your Account> iCloud > iCloud Backup. Turn iCloud Backup on at this time by tapping the slider.
(4) Your phone will now attempt to back itself up to iCloud. Wait the first iPhone to finish the backup.
(5) Turn on the second iPhone. Assuming, it's new, it should have an introductory Hello screen.
(6) Just press the Home button and follow the on-screen instructions until you are asked to join a WiFi network. Join your network, and then continue following the instructions.
(7) When you are at the Apps & Data screen, notice where it says Restore From iCloud Backup. Tap that, then hit Next.
(8) You will be asked to sign in. Do so with your Apple ID and password.
(9) From the list, choose which backup you want to transfer data from it (probably the latest one).
(10) Now wait until the backup is restored. After this is done, you can continue your setup normally by following the instructions on the screen.
In addition, if you are connected to WiFi, then your phone should sync with iCloud and automatically download all of the media that you own.
How to Transfer Data From iPhone to iPhone Using iTunes
Another way to transfer data between iPhones is by simply using iTunes. This is probably one of the most popular methods, even though it's not the best one. Here is how you do it:
(1) Connect the first iPhone to your computer and launch iTunes.
(2) Go to the Help menu and check for updates. If there is one, then install it first.
(3) Click on your device icon.
(4) Click Back Up Now on the summary page for your device.
(5) Wait until it is done backing up. You can check to make sure it backed up correctly by going to iTunes Preferences > Devices. There will be a list of devices as well as when they were backed up. Look for yours.
(6) Next, turn on the second iPhone until you get to the Hello screen. Press the Home button and follow the directions until you get to the Apps & Data screen.
(7) Tap Restore iTunes From Backup and then tap Next.
(8) Plug the iPhone into your computer.
(9) Open up iTunes, then click on your device icon.
(10) In the summary page, click Restore Backup…
(11) Pick a backup to restore from, then wait for the backup to restore. After that is done, you can proceed with the setup process on the second iPhone.
As you can see, just like the iCloud method, this basically consists of backing up one device and then restoring the backup on the other.
Transfer iPhone to iPhone Using iMyFone D-Port Pro
Finally, one of the best methods to transfer data from one iPhone to another safely is with a tool called iMyFone D-Port Pro. This application allows you to back up data from one iPhone and save it anywhere you like, as well as easily restore it to another iPhone.
Why Should You Choose iMyFone D-Port Pro Instead of iTunes or iCloud?
There are many reasons why iMyFone D-Port Pro is more flexible than iTunes or iCloud:
- You can selectively back up data on iPhone, as well as selectively restore iPhone from backup. This allows you to back up only what you need. You can't do this with iTunes and iCloud; they can only create and restore whole backups.
- You can back up only messages if you want, as well as data from third-party apps such as WhatsApp, WeChat, and so on. iTunes and iCloud cannot do this.
- You can extract and restore specific files from a whole backup.
How to Transfer iPhone to iPhone Using iMyFone D-Port Pro
In order to use iMyFone D-Port Pro to transfer iPhone to iPhone, you'll need to go through this simple process. First, you need to back up the data using D-Port Pro, and then you can restore it to the new iPhone.
How to make the backup of the first iPhone:
(1) Install D-Port Pro on your computer and launch it.
(2) Click Back Up & Export from Device, then click Make a Full Backup.
(3) The iPhone backup and restore tool will show you what you should notify. Click Back Up and the program will back up all the data and settings on iPhone.
(4) D-Port Pro will tell you when the backup process is completed.
Next, you just need to restore the backup to another iPhone.
How to restore backup to another iPhone:
Here is how to restore from a backup using iMyFone D-Port Pro:
(1) Launch D-Port Pro, and when you see the main screen, click Restore Backup to Device.
(2) Choose a backup from the list. These can be D-Port Pro backups, iCloud backups, or iTunes backups.
(3) Click where it says Restore Full Backup. After this, connect your iPhone to your computer.
(4) Wait until your device connects. After that, click Restore, and soon the software will automatically begin restoring the device. Do not disconnect your device while it is being restored.
Note that after a full restore like this, your data on the second iPhone will be completely overwritten. How to transfer data from one iPhone to another is actually very simple. You can do it using iCloud or iTunes, but if you need to save time by selectively choosing the files that you want to transfer, or when you encounter problems during using iCloud and iTunes, you can use iMyFone D-Port Pro to transfer data between iPhones.