Do you have a new iPhone and would like to transfer your messages from your old iPhone to the new iPhone X or iPhone 8 (Plus)? Without the right tool, the process can be quite daunting, even though it really shouldn’t be. Transferring any type of data from one iPhone to another is a process that can be complicated when you need to transfer only one type data.
In this article, we analyze what makes this type of data transfer difficult while sharing with you a way to make the process easier.
Part 1. One Click Transfer of Messages from iPhone to iPhone
To transfer only messages from one iPhone to another, you will need a tool that is specifically designed to enable this process. That tool is iMyFone D-Port Pro, a backup and restore tool that you can easily use to back up the messages on one iPhone and then restore them to the other iPhone.
We will see how to use it to do that shortly. But before then, the following are just some of the features that make D-Port Pro ideal for the job.
- This program allows you to transfer only messages, WhatsApp data, wechat data, or transfer all the data from one iOS device to another without overwriting the other data.
- You can also selectively back up your messages, WhatsApp/WeChat data or make a backup of all the data on your device.
- It is quite useful as it can export up to 18 types of data from your iOS device or from iTunes/iCloud backup.
The following guide should help you use iMyfone D-Port Pro to transfer your messages from one iPhone to another.
Begin by Backing up the Messages of the old iPhone
Step 1: Install the program to your computer and then launch it. Connect the iPhone to your computer using USB cables and the program will detect the device automatically.
Step 2: Choose “Back up Messages” from the “Backup & Export from Device” tab.
Step 3: Click “Backup” and keep the device connected through the entire process.
Step 4: You’ll get a notification when the backup has been finished. Now you can view the messages or choose to export them to your computer as you want.
Now transfer the messages to the new iPhone
Step 1: Launch the program and then choose the message backup file that you made just now, click Next and the program will scan the backup for messages.
Step 2: Simply preview the messages in detail and click “Restore” and the process will automatically begin. Keep the device connected to the computer until the process finishes.
Step 3: The restoring process will take for a while. Once the process has finished, you can view the messages on your new iPhone.
Part 2. Transfer Messages from iPhone to iPhone with iCloud
Another way to transfer messages from one iPhone to another is to back them up in iCloud and then restore the backup. The major shortcoming of this method is when you restore the backup; you will essentially be transferring all data and not just messages.
Backup Messages in iCloud
To back up the messages in iCloud, follow these simple steps;
Step 1: Connect the iPhone to a Wi-Fi network
Step 2: Go to Settings > iCloud > Backup and ensure that “iCloud Backup” is turned on.
Step 3: Now click “Backup Now” and then wait for the process to finish.
Restore the iCloud Backup
The next step is to restore the iCloud backup you just created to the other iPhone. Follow these simple steps to do it;
Step 1: If you are not setting up a new device, you will need to first of all erase all its contents. To do this go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This should take you to the setup screen.
Step 2: Follow the setup assistant prompts until you get to the Apps & Data Screen. Here, select “Restore from iCloud Backup.”
Step 3: Sign in to iCloud and select the most relevant backup. Then stay connected to the Wi-Fi network until the process is complete.
Part 3. Comparison of the 2 Methods
- D-Port Pro creates a backup on the computer’s local storage while iCloud creates a backup on the cloud, meaning you need an internet connection to backup and restore the backup in iCloud.
- iCloud storage is limited by the storage plan you choose. D-Port Pro has no such restriction and allows you to create a backup of any size
- You can backup and restore just the messages with D-port Pro. This selective backup and restore of data is not applicable to iCloud. You can only backup and restore all data.
- It takes hours to backup and restore via iCloud and only a single click and a few minutes when you use iMyfone D-Port Pro