Do you need to upload a previous backup that you made to your new iPhone? Apple actually has a few ready-made methods for this to make it easy to do. There are also a few alternative tools that give you more control over your backup. Let's take a look:
1. Upload Backup to New iPhone via iCloud
The first way to do it is to restore your backup from iCloud. You can do this in just a few steps:
(1) You should be at the "Hello" screen when you first turn on your new phone. Make sure you're connected to Wi-Fi, then tap where it says Restore from iCloud Backup.
(2) Input your iCloud account credentials, then choose the iCloud backup you want to upload to new iPhone.
(3) Optionally, you can sign in with your Apple ID again to download your purchases. Either way, stay connected to the network and wait while your backup is restored. How long this takes depends on your network connection and other factors. If you have a particularly large backup, then it can take a while.
You may also like: How long does it take to restore from iCloud backup?
Naturally, there are a few disadvantages to this method. For one, you can't choose what you want to upload—you either upload the whole backup, or you upload nothing. You can't pick and choose data. Secondly, this only works if you have a backup saved in iCloud.
2. Upload Backup to New iPhone via iTunes
You can also restore your device from an iTunes backup. All you have to do is this:
(1) Go on the computer that has your iTunes backup and connect your device to it via the USB cable.
(2) Open up iTunes.
(3) Click on your device icon in iTunes, then on the summary page, click Restore Backup...Now simply wait for your backup to be restored by iTunes.
Alternatively, on the "Hello" screen, you can also tap Restore from iTunes Backup and follow the directions there. The steps will be similar, though. If you've made a previous backup on iTunes you can simply plug your device in and restore it.
This method also has some disadvantages. First of all, you can only upload the entire backup, just as with iCloud. You can't be selective about the data that you restore. Second of all, you need to have previously made an iTunes backup for it to work.
3. Selectively Upload Backups in iCloud/iTunes to New iPhone
You do have more options when it comes to uploading backups, but you will simply have to use tools that are not official Apple applications. For example, you can use a really simple tool called iMyFone D-Port Pro to take control over your backups and selectively upload data in backups.
When you can restore partial backups, this saves you time and storage space. With iMyFone D-Port Pro, you can:
- Upload data from different iTunes and iCloud backups to your new iPhone.
- Upload the data that you need and ignore what you don't need.
- Back up data for your new iPhone without affecting old backups. (You can do this for free.)
- Extract data (for example, WhatsApp) from backups to your computer, where you can use it any way you like.
How to Selectively Upload a Backup to a New iPhone
Now let's talk about how to use iMyFone D-Port Pro to selectively upload data from your iTunes or iCloud backup to your new phone. This is called restoring a partial backup, and this is how it works:
(1) Install D-Port Pro on your computer, then plug in your new iPhone.
(2) Open up D-Port Pro and click Restore Backup to Device on the left sidebar. After that, choose from the list of backups on the screen. If you need an iCloud backup, you will have to click Download iCloud Backup at the bottom first. (It will prompt you to input your iCloud login details.) After you have downloaded it, then you can select it like any other backup and click Next.
(3) Here we choose an iTunes backup as example. On the next screen, click Restore Partial Backup.
(4) Choose the data type(s) that you want to restore, then click Next.
(5) You will then see a list of specific data. You can select what you want, then click Restore. The software will then restore your data.
The program is not completely free of charge. You will have to pay for it if you want to restore backup. However, you can back up your iPhone without any cost.
There are many ways to upload a backup to a new iPhone, but when you use iMyFone D-Port Pro iPhone backup & restore tool, you have a lot more control over your data. You can create and restore backups easily, and save them anywhere you want. More importantly, you can be selective with what data you restore. Try the FREE trial version of iMyFone D-Port Pro now and see what it can do for you.