Updating iTunes is an easy process. However, for some unknown reason you may face an error prompting that the earlier version cannot be overwritten. Because of this problem, you are unable to update iTunes to the newer version. The only way to update it is to uninstall the older iTunes version completely and then install the newer version manually.
Why People Want to Uninstall an Older Version of iTunes?
As mentioned above, sometimes iTunes cannot be updated and the only way to update it is to uninstall the older version first and then install the newer version. This is one of the primary reasons why iOS users want to uninstall the iTunes older version. Apart from this, you may also need to uninstall iTunes to troubleshoot various issues. For example, if an error is causing iTunes to crash at launch and you cannot fix the error, then it is logical to uninstall iTunes and then install the latest version so that the problem is solved.
How to Uninstall the Older Version of iTunes
Following are some ways to uninstall the older version of iTunes:
1. The Easiest Way – Using iMyFone TunesFix
If you want to uninstall iTunes in the easiest way possible, then it is recommended that you use iMyFone TunesFix. It is a third-party software that has been designed to fix various iTunes issues. It features a Full Uninstall mode to help users conveniently iTunes older version and all its related components in the right sequence with a single click. So you won’t have to worry about uninstalling one component after another and deleting related folders. iMyFone TunesFix will do everything for you. It cannot get easier than that.
- Uninstall iTunes completely with a single click.
- Find iTunes issues automatically and then fix them with Repair feature.
- Manually find and fix various iTunes issues by using different modes.
- Boost iTunes performance by deleing its related junk/temporary files.
- Clean iTunes quickly and deeply and free up space via Quick Clean and Deep Clean modes.
Steps to Uninstall the Older Version of iTunes Via TunesFix
Step 1: Launch iMyFone TunesFix on your computer. It will automatically start scanning for iTunes issues. If an issue is found, you will need to use its Repair feature to fix it. If no issues are found, then the home interface of TunesFix will open.
Step 2: From the home interface of iMyFone TunesFix, click on Full Uninstall option.
Step 3: Now on the next window, if you want to uninstall iTunes along with all user data, junk files, software update files, backups, media, etc. then tick/mark the checkbox below the Uninstall button. If you want to keep user data and other files, then leave it unmarked and click on the Uninstall button. The uninstallation process will begin.
2. The Manual Way to Uninstall the Uninstall the Older Version of iTunes
You can uninstall iTunes manually. The process is a bit lengthy but all the steps are easy to perform. The key to this method is to uninstall iTunes and its related components in a specific sequence. Keep in mind that iTunes may not be fully uninstalled if you uninstall its related components in the wrong sequence.
Follow these instructions:
Step 1: On your Windows PC, open Control Panel and then navigate to Programs > Programs and Features.
Step 2: Now uninstall the following programs in the same sequence as listed below:
- Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support
Step 3: It is also recommended to uninstall iCloud.
Step 4: Once all the programs listed above are uninstalled, restart your computer.
Step 5: After your computer is restarted, delete the following folders:
- C:\Program Files\Bonjour
- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\
- C:\Program Files\iTunes\
- C:\Program Files\iPod\
Note 6: If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, then you will need to navigate to Program Files (x86) folder instead of Program Files.
After all the above mentioned folders are deleted, restart your computer again. Now you will be able to install the new version of iTunes on your computer without any issues.
Tip: What’s The Latest Version of iTunes and What Are Its Key Features?
The latest version of iTunes is 12.7.4. It introduces a new feature to Apple Music. This version promises to deliver a new music video experience to users.
- The new music video section in Browse option of Apple Music allows users to find new and popular music videos quickly and easily.
- Furthermore, you can also create playlists for videos in Apple Music. Music videos are arranged as cards and their playlists bar is included so that users can browse them by genre.
- It also allows you to manually add videos to your own playlists for seamless playback.