Outlook users face various issues from time to time and emails getting stuck in Outbox is one of the most common issues that can be really annoying. This problem usually occurs with Outlook 2016 or below versions and it is more common with emails that include attachments. Fortunately, there are several solutions available.
Part 2. Top 4 Solutions to This Issue
Reasons Why Outlook Emails Stuck in Outbox
There could be a number of reasons behind this issue. Following are some of the common reasons:
- Email can get stuck in Outbox if there is a large attachment. The large size of attachment usually slows down the sending but it can also sometimes completely halt it.
- Sometimes an installed add-in marks the email that you are trying to send as viewed in the Outbox, hence causing the issue of it getting stuck.
- This problem can also occur if your Outlook account is unauthenticated. To fix this, you will need to get it authenticated by the mail server.
- A problem with the mail server can also cause this issue.
- The email sending process can get stuck if your Outlook send/receive settings are incorrect.
- If Outlook is being used by another program e.g. getting scanned by an antivirus tool, then it could cause the emails in the Outbox to get stuck.
Top 4 Solutions to "Email Stuck in Outbox" Issue in Outlook 2016/2013/2010
1Change Outlook Connection Status
Your emails can get stuck in Outbox if the mail server is offline. That's why it is recommended that you check the status of the mail server before trying other solutions. The process to check the status of the mail server is pretty straightforward.
Step 1. If you look in the right-hand corner of Outlook, you will either see a Connected option or it will be shown as Connected to Microsoft Exchange. The mail server is online if you see any of these options.
Step 2. If you cannot see the above-mentioned options, then it may be because the state of the mail server is set to Working Offline. In this case, navigate to the Send/Receive tab and then find and click on Work Offline option to disable it.
Step 3. If the status of the mail service is shown as Disconnected, then it could be an issue with your internet connection. Restart your modem or try other solutions to fix the problem.
2Compress the Size of Attachment
As mentioned above, Outlook emails can get stuck in Outbox if the attachment size is too large. Usually there is a limit to the attachment size and when it exceeds, the chances of your email getting stuck in Outbox increases. This limit is generally 15 MB. If you think that is the cause of the problem, then it is recommended that you compress the size of the attachment before sending.
- Compress the attachment you want to send in a .zip file and then attach it to your email.
- Next, click on the Send/Receive button. The email shouldn't get stuck in Outbox now.
3Change the Password for Email Account
Sometimes the issue of Outlook emails getting stuck in Outbox occurs because of recent changes to the email account. If you have recently changed your password or modified your email account, then you will need to verify that your password is correct and if it's correct, you will need to change it to solve the problem.
Step 1. In Outlook, navigate to File > Info and then click on Account Settings options twice.
Step 2. Next, find and click on the option to change the password and then click on the Change button.
Step 3. Now input a new password, confirm it, and then click on Next > Finish to save your new password.
4Using A Professional Outlook Repair Tool
iMyFone ScanOutlook is a powerful Outlook repair and recovery tool that can quickly and efficiently solve various Outlook issues, including Outlook emails getting stuck in Outbox. The tool is equipped with a number of useful features and allows users to repair Outlook PST files within minutes. Apart from this, you can also use ScanOutlook to recover lost Outlook data e.g. attachments, notes, tasks, contacts, journals, and more.
- Repair damaged or corrupted PST files in a quick and efficient manner.
- Solve various common Outlook-related issues, including Outlook emails getting stuck in Outbox.
- Recover valuable data from damaged PST files selectively. Supported data for recovery include emails, attachments, notes, tasks, contacts, etc.
- Save the recovered Outlook items into a wide variety of file formats, such as PDF, PST, RTF, HTML, and more.
- Compatible with all versions of Outlook.
Steps to Repair Outlook Issue
Step 1. Open iMyFone ScanOutlook and select a PST file for repair.
Step 2. After repair, save it into a new PST file.
Step 3. Open the repaired PST file in Outlook, you'll find you can send the emails as normal!
Outlook emails getting stuck in Outbox can be a really annoying issue and it could occur due to a number of reasons. If you know the reason behind the issue, then you should apply one of the above-mentioned fixes accordingly to solve the problem. However, if you don't know the reason why this issue is occurring, then it is recommended that you use iMyFone ScanOutlook to solve it.