"It is Monday morning! As we all know, it is the first day of the week. Everyone is looking energetic and ready to begin the day's work. Before they start, they will have to receive instructions and the weekly work schedule from me. I spend some time over the weekend planning and documenting the strategies for the week. Our company just sealed a new deal, and today is when we begin working on the project for the client. I did not anticipate that sending emails this morning will be challenging. Each time I open Outlook, it keeps crashing or stops working. I am running out of time. What do I do? How do I restart Outlook when it stops working?"
Unexpected things happen to us from time to time, and we find ourselves caught in a state of confusion. If we are void of a solution, then we begin seeking for help. We believe that the reason you are here is to find a way to restart Outlook. We assure you that after reading and applying the methods in this post, you will be able to solve “Outlook stops working" or "Outlook not responding” problems without help from anyone.
- Method 1: Investigate Possible Problems Caused by “Add-ins”
- Method 2: Run Outlook Diagnostics
- Method 3: Create a New Profile
How to Restart Outlook When It Stops Working?
There are several reasons why Outlook stops working just like the above scenario, a few moments ago Outlook was working, but presently it is not. A simple fix could only be to restart Outlook. Here is how to use Task Manager to do it on Windows.
- Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys together and press the “Delete” key.
- On the new screen that will appear, click “Task manager”.
- A new window will be displayed, showing a list of programs that are running on your computer, right-click on Outlook, and select “End task” from the drop list. Outlook will close.
- Go and restart outlook. If it starts and works fine, then Outlook is fine, if not, proceed to the next method to troubleshoot.
- Press the Windows key and press “r” on your keyboard and type outlook.exe /resetnavpane in the “Run” dialog box.
- Press “Enter” to run Outlook.
How to Troubleshoot Issues That Cause Outlook Not Working?
1Investigate Possible Problems Caused by “Add-ins”
Step 1. The first thing you should do is to close Outlook.
Step 2. Press the Windows key and press “r” on your keyboard.
Step 3. The “RUN” dialog box will come up.
Step 4. Type Outlook /safe. Remember to leave a space after “Outlook” in the space provided.
Step 5. Click “Go”.
Step 6. Click on “File”.
Step 7. Click on “Options”.
Step 8. Click “Add-Ins”.
Step 9. Click “COM Add”-ins,” and then click “Go”.
Step 10. Unmark all the checkboxes, and then click “OK”.
Step 11. Restart Outlook, if it works fine, go to the next step.
Step 12. Go back to “COM Add-Ins” mark the checkboxes on after the other to know which one is causing the problem. When you find the one causing the problem, you can “unmark” it.
2Run Outlook Diagnostics
Before you proceed, make sure you back up your outlook files so that you risk losing your Outlook files.
To diagnose Outlook, run the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant. You can download and install it from this link; https://aka.ms/SaRA-OutlookAdvDiagnostics. This tool will diagnose and fix the problem automatically. Follow the steps after you run the application:
- Choose Outlook.
- Click “next”.
- Choose either of these two options:
- Outlook keeps hanging or freezing.
- Outlook keeps crashing with a message "Microsoft Outlook has stopped working”.
- Wait for the process to complete, click “OK”.
3Create a New Profile
If the above step solves the problem, you can skip this method.
- Press your window key and type “Control Panel”.
- Click on mail and click on “Show Profiles”.
- Remove any profile you don’t want by clicking “Remove”.
- Click “Add”.
- In the input box, type the desired name in the “Profile Name” field.
- Type in the User name, the SMTP address, and the Password.
- Click “Next”.
- A window showing “Allow this website to configure **yourname@domain** server settings?” Select the “Don't ask me about this website again” then click “Allow” (yourname@domain is an example).
- Enter your login details and click “OK”.
- Click “Finish”.
In most cases the reason you may be encountering “Outlook not working” problem may be that your Outlook files have been corrupt and damaged and to “Restart Outlook” may not help resolve the issue that is why you need ScanOutlook to help you repair and recover your Outlook files.
How to Repair/Recover Corrupted Outlook Files?
If the above methods failed to resolve the issue, it means that outlook is corrupt or damaged. This method of solving the “Outlook stopped working” problem is very easy and requires no technical skill. To repair and recover your data, you need to get the iMyFone ScanOutlook application first.
Key Features of iMyFone ScanOutlook:
- Capable of repairing corrupted PST/OST files from Outlook when it stops working.
- ScanOutlook can repair and recover the following items from Outlook: emails. Contact, calendars, attachments, and more.
- It can export data in various file formats: PST, EML, MSG, RTF, HTML and PDF, etc .
- It can automatically locate PST/OST files on your PC.
- It can be used on Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 OS.
How to Use ScanOutlook to Repair and Recover Outlook Files?
Step 1. After downloading and installing ScanOutlook on your PC, launch it. Choose the files you want to repair by selecting any of the three options available below:
- Select default PST/OST: This will search for PST/OST files automatically in the default location Outlook. Choose the file you want to be repaired.
- Select PST/OST Manually: Use this option if you know the file destination to select the file you want to fix.
- Search for PST/OST: If you can find the files you want to repair, you can use this option.
Step 2. After selecting the files/folder you want to recover, you can choose “Quick repair” or “Deep repair” to start the repairing process.
Step 3. Wait for some time till the process is finalized. Once done, you can click to preview your files.
Step 4. Select the folders and files you want to export, choose the file format and choose a new destination you want the file to be exported to, then click on the “Export” button and wait for the process to complete.
With the above methods, you will be able to restart Outlook without any difficulty. The most important thing is that the techniques above are not time-consuming. Make sure you follow the steps accordingly so you can achieve results without complications.