We have been examining how upgrading to a new iOS has brought different issues to iPhone, iPad and iTouch users, such as iPhone won't make calls after iOS 10 update. In this post, we will be looking at how iOS 11 upgrade affects user interaction as regards applications and games, and provide solutions where they exists. One of the reasons for app troubles during any upgrade is the fact that most applications haven’t been updated to meet up with the changes in the operating system of iOS devices. Despite this, there are steps you can follow to minimize the effects of iOS upgrade (iOS 11 included) on your device.
- Part 1: iPhone Can’t Make Calls after Update to The New iOS (iOS 11 included)
- Part 2: iPhone Can’t Send and Receive Text after Update
- Part 3: App Crash after Update or Won’t Load
- Part 4: iMessage or Facetime Won’t Activate
- Part 5: Touch ID Not Working in App Store
- Part 6: How to Optimize your iOS 11 Performance
iPhone Can’t Make Calls after Update to The New iOS (iOS 11 included)
A lot of changes can occur once an update is done. Updates can change your devices settings, and prevent you from making or receiving calls. Whatever the problem is, a little troubleshooting can be the solution. Try the following:
- Check iPhone settings: It’s possible the new iOS upgrade altered the settings of your device. Check that airplane mode is not turned on; check if your “Do not Disturb” settings is off; check if the number you’re dialing is not blocked.
- Remove and insert SIM card: Sometimes, the SIM card can be the problem. Simply removing and reinserting can solve the issue.
- Reset your Network settings: To do this, simply tap “Settings”, navigate to “General”, then tap “Reset” and tap “Reset Network Settings”. If this doesn’t walk, try changing location to see if the local network is the issue.
iPhone Can’t Send and Receive Text after Update
This error is similar to the “Can’t make calls” issue above. To fix this, try any of the following:
- Perform a hard reset: A hard reset can make the problem go away. Simply hold the “Home” and “Sleep/Wake” button for a few seconds till the phone reboots (when you see the Apple logo). If this works, fine. If not, try the next step.
- Reset your network settings: Perform a network reset as highlighted in the “Can’t make calls” section.
- Turn off VoLTE: Voice over LTE is relatively new technology to some carriers. This means it might not be reliable in all locations just yet, and this unreliability causes problems such as text issues. To turn it off, Settings > Cellular > LTE > Data Only or Off > Reboot iPhone
App Crash or Won’t Load
As mentioned above, third-party app developers don’t have the luxury of knowing what a new iOS will entail, so they are always playing catch-up when a new iOS is released. Before going ahead to delete that app crashing for the umpteenth time, you might want to try the following:
- Check Apps Store to see if any new update for that particular app has been rolled out. As a precaution as well, try reading the reviews left by other users to see if there are additional problems with the new update.
- If there isn’t any new update, rove the app and reinstall the application. This has also been proven to work for different users having issues with different applications.
- If the above doesn’t work, you might have to contact the developers, it’s likely you aren’t the only one having such issues.
iMessage or Facetime Won’t Activate
There are basically four types of errors you’ll get as regards activating your iMessage and Facetime. They are:
- Waiting for activation
- Activation unsuccessful
- An error occurred during activation
- Could not sign in, please check your network connection
To solve any of the above, perform the following:
- Check your device settings: Make sure you are connected to data, either via Wi-Fi or cellular data. Also be aware that activation on iPhone requires SMS messaging. Make sure you have enough airtime credit as most carriers charge for this SMS. Another setting that can affect your activation is time and date. Ensure you have the right date and time by Settings > General > Date and Time.
- Restart Facetime and iMessage: Sometimes, simply restarting both apps can do the trick. To do this, Settings > Messages/Facetime > toggle off iMessage/Facetime. After this, restart your device and toggle on Facetime and iMessage following the same steps to turn them off.
It usually takes about 24 hours before both Facetime and iMessage get activated. If after this time, you still have issues, contact your network carrier to ensure you can send and receive messages or contact Apple support.
Touch ID Not Working in App Store
Another major headache for some Apple device users has been their inability to use the Touch Id for verification in the Apple App store, but can use the Touch Id to log into the phone. To fix this error, try this fix:
- Go to the “Settings” app.
- Find and tap the “Touch ID and Passcode”.
- Enter your 6-digit passcode.
- Turn off Touch Id for iTunes and App Store.
- Restart your device by doing a hard reset.
- Go back to “Settings” and turn on Touch Id for iTunes and App Store
How to Optimize your iOS 11 Performance
1. Free up Memory-related Performance Issues
Often times, the biggest culprits with performance issues are junk files and temporary files. Junk files and temporary files are files generated by the functions your device performs. From browsing sessions, to app crashes, to cache files, everything eventually piles up to slow down your iPhone.
iMyFone Umate Pro is an iPhone utility that can help you perform junk file cleanup as well as other cleaning functions. What more? The junk file cleanup is possible with the FREE TRIAL VERSION of iMyFone Umate Pro or iMyFone Umate Pro for Mac .
Clear up Junk Files with Umate Pro for FREE
Step 1:Run and install the program and connect your device to your PC. But ensure iTunes is also launched.
Step 2:Click “Quick Scan” to see how all the space on your device is being used.
Step 3:From the result, click “Clean” for Junk files.
Step 4:On the next page check or uncheck the junk files you want removed such as crash logs and photo caches, then click “Clean”.
After this Umate Pro will show you the amount of memory you’ve saved and what more you can save.
Other Powerful Functions for Optimizing Your iPhone
- Clear up temporary files: Like junk files, temporary files are also not cool for your device. Umate Pro helps you delete them in one click.
- Compress Photos: Photos and media form the largest percentage of iPhone memory usage. Umate Pro can compress your photos to a quarter of their initial size without a loss of quality. The utility also backups up your photos before any changes are made.
- Mass delete photos, apps, and video: Umate Pro also affords you the means to delete apps, videos, and photos en mass in a swift manner rather than selecting one after the other.
- Erase previously deleted files: Secure your privacy by scanning and erasing files you had previously deleted before in a way that nobody can ever retrieve them again, which the ordinary deletion cannot prevent.
- Erase Whatsapp messages and attachment: Whatsapp harbors lots of files and attachment received from your friends and family. With Umate, you can delete these files and free up more space for your device.
- Permanently erase messages, notes, and much more: Take your privacy a notch higher by deleting messages and incriminating files permanently with zero chance of recoverability.
- Fully compatible with iOS 11 and receive lots of positive reviews from macworld.co.uk, Makeuseof.com , Cultofmac.com etc.
2. Restore Your iPhone
Restoring your iPhone using iTunes or iCloud backup files to a period where it functioned properly. This is especially great if your performance issues are as a result of a newly installed app.
3. Upgrade Your device
Every iPhone release improves on the previous model and can handle much more errors. The newly iPhone 7 has a fantastic performance and speed that will offset most of the issues you’re having. But this is almost like a last resort and if you can afford it. If not, why not try the aforementioned steps and tips.