What do you do if your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable after an iOS update? This is a common thing that happens to many iPhone users especially after iOS 12 update. This can be frustrating especially if you do not know what you are supposed to do to fix this problem. Luckily, the problem of Apple activation server down can be fixed.
If you are among those who do not know how to solve the problem, do not worry because we are going to show you how to fix activation server is temporarily unavailable after iOS 12 update.
- Why Apple Activation Server Is Temporarily Unavailable after iOS 12 Update?
- Method 1 - Force Restart Your iPhone/iPad
- Method 2 - Wait Longer and Keep Trying
- Method 3 - Reach the Activation Server by Another Mean
- Method 4 - Fix Activation Error by an iOS Repair Tool (iOS 12 Supported)
- Method 5 - Factory Reset Your iPhone/iPad
Why Apple Activation Server Unavailable after iOS 12 Update
There are two major causes for this and they are:
- Network related – change in the network used to connect.
- iOS related – something is wrong with the code signing/provisioning.
We will discuss more and offer some methods for fixing iPhone/iPad activation server unavailable. Continue reading this article to find out more about this issue.
Method 1 - Force Restart Your iPhone/iPad
This can be a solution if your iPhone or iPad has slowed down, frozen or failed to activate after an iOS update. We are going to explain how to force restart iPhone 6s, SE or earlier, iPhone 7 or 7 Plus and iPhone 8 or X.
How to Force Restart iPhone 6s, SE or Earlier?
- Step 1: Long press the Home button together with the power button.
- Step 2: Continue holding down this two buttons until you can see the Apple Logo appearing.
- Step 3: Release the buttons and wait as your device completes its start process.
- Step 4: insert your passcode to start up the device.
How to Force Restart iPhone 7, 7 Plus, 8 or X?
- Step 1: Press and hold down the power button along with the volume down key on the left side of the iPhone.
- Step 2: Continue holding down the two buttons until the Apple logo appears. The device will then commence the startup process.
- Step 3: Insert your passcode.
Method 2 - Wait Longer and Keep Trying
Sometimes the problem might not be your iPhone but rather the Apple servers could actually be experiencing issues due to the large volume of traffic they receive, especially after they release a new OS version like iOS 12. Therefore, if you have tried to activate and received the activation error message, simply wait for a while and then give it another try. While you are waiting, remove the SIM card from your device, wait for a few minutes and plug it back and then try activating your device again.
Method 3 - Reach the Activation Server by Another Mean
If you are still unable to reach the server, there are other methods you can use to reach the Apple servers. If you are using a cellular data connection, deactivate the cellular data and connect your device to a reliable Wi-Fi network. Connecting to a reliable Wi-Fi will ensure uninterrupted internet connection.
But if you cannot activate your device then you can use iTunes to connect. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Ensure that you have downloaded the latest iTunes version.
Step 2: Ensure that your personal computer has an internet connection.
Step 3: Launch iTunes on your computer and then attach your device to the computer.
Wait for iTunes to detect and activate your device. If you iTunes displays Set UP as New or Restore from Backup, then your device has been activated. But if you see an error on iTunes, then contact your service provider.
Method 4 - Fix Activation Error by an iOS Repair Tool
The activation issue could be as a result of iOS problem and you can use iMyFone iOS System Recovery tool to solve the iOS issue once and for all. iMyFone iOS System Recovery is a professional iOS repair tool that helps you fix all iOS related issues and get your device back to normal. Check its features to know what it can do for you.
You can use this tool to fix activation error, stuck in installing error, apps not working and more problems after update to iOS 12.
It can repair various system issues without data loss.
How to Fix Activation Error by iMyFone iOS System Recovery?
Step 1: Launch the program after download it and connect your iPhone with it. Choose Standard Mode and it won't cause any data loss on your device.
Step 2: Set your device to DFU/Recovery Mode so that the program can detect it. You can just follow the on-screen instruction to set your device in DFU or Recovery Mode.
Step 3: You can download the appropriate firmware after the program detect your iPhone. It will match the firmware for you and what you need is just to click 'Download'.
Step 4: After the program download and verifying the firmware, click 'Start to Fix' to start the process. You will be noted after the process is complete and the issue activation server is temporarily unavailable will be fixed.
Method 5 - Factory Reset Your iPhone/iPad
This is the last method we recommend because it will erase all the data and settings on your device. But if the above methods don't work, you can try and do the following to factory reset your device:
1. Go to Settings > General > Reset. Select Erase All Content and Settings.
2. Enter your valid passcode and then choose Erase iPhone or iPad option from the warning box that will appear.
3. Enter your Apple ID and password to confirm. This will wipe everything on your device and take you back to the setup screen.
Activation server being unavailable after iOS 12 update can mean that you will not be able to use your iPhone as usual. Fortunately, there are ways you can use to fix this problem and you can use iMyFone iOS System Recovery to fix this problem once and for all without data loss. Give it a shot now!