Very recently, Apple announced the release date of its latest iOS 13 - 10th September 2019. Also, the new iPhone is said to be released very soon. At this time of every year, the iOS users are eagerly waiting for the release.
But before you start updating your device immediately, you need to learn a few important notes regarding the iOS update. This is a major annual update, and while it's been through multiple developer beta releases, there's no reason to rule out data loss after the upgrade. So please make sure you have a backup before upgrading your device. We listed 3 ways to backup iPhone before iOS 13 update. Let's learn how to choose the best one and get the guide to do a backup!
Part 1: How to Choose the Best Way to Backup iPhone/iPad
Indeed, it is a necessity to backup iPhone before upgrading to iOS 13 because we mentioned the significance before. Basically, there 3 ways to backup an iPhone or iPad. You can do it through iTunes, iCloud or professional 3rd party programs. Now let's have a look at how to choose the best one.
1. Backup with iTunes Before iOS 13 Update
iTunes is the oldest iOS application and can be used to backup and restore data. But those who are familiar with iOS know that iTunes is difficult to use and often suffers from unknown errors. On macOS 10.15, Apple removed iTunes from the OS and replaced it with 3 entirely separate apps. You are required to backup in Finder on new macOS 10.15.
Although it is an official and free way to backup, there are some limitations of iTunes:
- First of all, the app is complicated for most users.
- On top of that, the app is very slow. It may even cost you the entire day to make the backup if the files are huge.
- There is a chance that you will face unknown errors during the procedure.
- There are certain restrictions on the backup files which will stop you from backing up data such as health, keychain or any sort of activity.
- Last but not least, the app is incapable of selectively backup or restore. If you need a particular file from the backup, you have to restore the entire backup and you can't preview the files inside.
2. Backup with iCloud
Backup iPhone or iPad through iCloud is another common and official way for iOS users. It can automatically back up your data over Wi-Fi network connection. But it can be pretty slow. One of the biggest issue of iCloud backup is the storage. You only get 5 GB of storage for free and you have to pay for additional space. Which is not really convenient for most of the users.
Let's have a closer look at the limitations of using iCloud backup:
- You only get free storage of 5GB free which is not nearly enough to store a backup of your iPad or iPhone. If you want additional you will be charged $0.99/month for 50GB, $2.99/month for 200GB and $9.99/month for 2T of storage.
- You will be unable to back up your entire device, only files like camera roll, accounts, documents, and settings.
- The iCloud backup only works if you have enough space and a solid Wi-Fi connection.
- It can be very likely that your files getting corrupted, if that happened you will be unable to restore them.
- Last but not least, you will be unable to restore the files selectively.
3. Backup Through 3rd Party Program
Besides iTunes and iCloud, you can use a professional 3rd party software to do iPhone/iPad backup before iOS 13 upgrading. This is very unlikely but these programs actually perform better than the official apps. These programs use advanced algorithms to make the procedure safe, faster and the restoration of files selectively.
One of the great examples of such program is iMyFone iTransor. Let's have a look at the advantages of using the named program.
- You can backup files without thinking about the limited space.
- You can backup files selectively and also restore them like that.
- iMyFone iTransor supports over 18 types of data.
- The data backup process is fast and it will be over within a few minutes.
- This program can back up App Data, unlike iTunes and iCloud.
- You can back up all the data and settings on one device and restore them to another one. The program performs across all the different iOS versions, even from a new version to an older one.
Part 2: Steps to Know How to Backup with iTunes, iCloud and Third-Party Tool
Well, as mentioned earlier you have 3 options to back up your iOS device before updating to iOS 13 or a newer device. But the procedure for each of the methods is completely different. For your convenience, we have discussed them below.
Way 1: Backup iPhone/iPad Before Upgrading to iOS 13 with iMyFone iTransor
Using iMyFone iTransor will save you time and the backing up of iOS devices will be very efficient with no fear of data corruption. Here's how to backup iPhone before transfer to the new phone using the said software.
Note: The backup files made by iMyFone iTransor does not affect your local iTunes backups or other related backups.
Step 1: First, you need to download and install the program on your computer.
Step 2:Then run the program on your computer and select "Acquire Backup from Device & iCloud" from the left panel of the program and then, click on "Back Up Device". Then connect your device to proceed.
Step 3: After the connection, the device will be detected by the program immediately. Now you can choose "Make a Full Backup" or "Select One or More Data Types" according to your need.
Step 4: Lastly, click on "Backup" in order to initiate the backup procedure. The process will be finished within few minutes.
You have to wait a few minutes for the backup to get finished but it will be significantly faster than the options mentioned discussed below.
Way 2: Backup iPhone/iPad with iTunes Before iOS 13 Update
Backing up your iPhone or iPad with iTunes is a great idea before an iOS update. But you will need a computer with iTunes installed and you have to connect the said device to the computer using USB. So be prepared.
Here's how to backup iPad before iOS 13 update with iTunes:
Step 1: Connect the iOS device to the computer and launch iTunes.
Step 2: After iTunes detects the iOS device, click on the "Device" icon on the iTunes panel.
Step 3: After selecting your device, click on the "Summary" option on the left side of the panel.
Step 4: Then, click on "Back up Now" found under "Manually Backup and Restore" option and then click on the "Done" button after completing the procedure.
This is the way to back up your iPhone or iPad with iTunes but numerous users have complained about the inefficiency and data corruption during backup and restore of iOS device.
Way 3：Backup iPhone/iPad with iCloud Before iOS 13 Update
Another official option for iPhone or iPad backup is iCloud. Unlike iTunes, iCloud stores data on its cloud server and the entire procedure has to be done using Wi-Fi connection. Here's how to backup iPhone with iCloud:
Step 1: First, connect your iPhone to the Wi-Fi network.
Step 2: now, go to the "Settings" of your device, tap on your name and then tap on "iCloud".
Step 3: Then, you have to make sure that the "iCloud Backup" is activated, only then you can click on "iCloud Backup" and then tap on "Back up now".
This is the way to back up your iOS device using iCloud. This method takes a very long time to finish and you have to use a strong Wi-Fi connection.
When you have the need to back up your iPhone or iPad before updating to iOS 13 or upgrading to a new device, you have the opportunity to choose between 3 options for backing up. We found the 3rd party program, iMyFone iTransor to be the best and safest option after looking from every perspective. Go for it!