The photos you capture with your iPhone camera are stored in separate albums . These albums are Camera Roll and My Photo Stream (also called PhotoStream). Although both albums store your captured photos, they are different from each other in certain ways. Read on to find out more.
What's the Difference Between Camera Roll and PhotoStream?
Where Does Photos Stored?
Camera Roll is an album that contains the photos that you have captured with your iPhone camera. The photos in this folder are physically stored on your device. Apart from your captured photos, other photos that you save from websites, emails, text messages, etc. are also stored in this album.
My Photo Stream is a feature of iCloud. The photos in this album aren't physically stored on your device, instead they are stored on your iCloud account. The main advantage of using My Photo Stream is that it allows your photos to be shared by all the devices that are using the same Apple ID. So, with My Photo Stream, you can view your photos captured by your iPhone directly on your Mac, if it is using your Apple ID and has this feature enabled.
Do They Need Internet Connection?
Another key difference between Camera Roll and My Photo Stream is that Camera Roll doesn't need to access the internet in order to show your photos. My Photo Stream on the other hand, needs an internet connection because it syncs your photos to your iCloud account. If there is no internet access, then the photos in My Photo Stream album will not be uploaded to your iCloud account and you won't be able to see them on your other synced devices.
If I Delete Photos from My Photo Stream, Will They Stay in Camera Roll?
Yes, deleting photos from My Photo Stream has no effect on the photos stored in the Camera Roll album. If you delete a photo from My Photo Stream, it will delete that specific photos from your iCloud account which means the photo will also get deleted from your other devices that are using your Apple ID.
Alternatively, if you delete a photo from the Camera Roll album, then it will only get deleted from that album and the photo will stay unaffected in My Photo Stream.
How to Delete Photos Permanently from Both Camera Roll and My Photo Stream?
Many people are aware that despite deleting photos, they still run the risk of their deleted photos being recovered even after having deleted them from Camera Roll and My Photo Stream. This is why there have been so many incidents where photos get leaked on the internet and soon enough everyone has seen them, such as the iCloud Leaks of Celebrity Photos.
If you wish to avoid this situation and make sure your deleted files cannot be recovered by any data recovery applications, you will have to use some data eraser tool to permanently erase them. It is highly recommended that you use iMyFone Umate Pro. This advanced iOS data eraser allows you to erase any type of data from your iOS devices permanently. It can scan and list all the photos stored on your iOS devices, which you will be able to conveniently preview, select, and delete.
- Permanently Erase Photos: Erase private photos permanently from your iPhone without chance of recovery.
- Erase Deleted Photos: Find and delete your previously deleted photos, permanently erase them to avoid privacy leak.
- Backup & Delete: Backup photos to computer and delete them from your iPhone with one click.
- Third-Party Apps Photos: You are also allowed to delete photos in WhatsApp, WeChat, Kik and Viber.
- Preview before Erasing: All you to preview your private photos and selectively delete them.
- Can not only completely erase photos, but also videos,contacts,call history,messages,third-party app data,safari data etc. (Learn More>)
Steps to Permanently Delete Photos
Step 1. Connect your iPhone and launch iMyFone Umate Pro.
Step 2. Select Erase Private Data mode and click on scan button. It willl start to scan the device.
Step 3. After scanning, choose the photos you want to delete and click on Erase Now button to permanently erase them.
How to Enable/Disable My Photo Stream?
As already mentioned above, you will need to have My Photo Stream turned on before you can access it on your device. If you want to view your My Photo Stream photos on your iOS and Mac devices then you will need to enable My Photo Stream on both of them. The method to enable/disable My Photo Stream is different on both devices.
Enable/Disable My Photo Stream on iOS Devices
- Open the Settings app on your iOS devices.
- Navigate to Photos and then find and turn on My Photo Stream via the toggle button shown in front of it.
- If you need to disable it, then simply use that toggle button again.
Enable/Disable My Photo Stream on Mac
- On your Mac, navigate to Photos > Preferences > iCloud.
- Now select the checkbox beside the My Photo Stream option to enable it.
- If you need to disable it, then simply deselect that checkbox.