There could be a number of reasons why you would want to format your iPod Touch. Maybe you are about to sell the device so you want to erase all the data to protect your privacy, maybe there are some errors/bugs you want to get rid of, or it could be because you simply want to start fresh. Regardless of what your reason may be, there are many ways to do this.
Top 3 Methods to Format iPod Touch
Following are 3 most effective methods of formatting iPod Touch, all of the methods are available for iPod Touch 6th, iPod Touch 5th, iPod Touch 4th, iPod Touch 3rd, iPod Touch 2nd, iPod Touch 1st Generation.
# 1 Format iPod Touch without iTunes (100% Unrecoverable)
Formatting an iPod Touch via iMyFone Umate Pro is highly recommended if you don't want to use iTunes for the process and also because with this method your iPod Touch will be formatted without any chance of recovery. So it's a safer option when it comes to protecting your privacy and is definitely much better than formatting via iTunes.
- No need to use iTunes to format iPod Touch or any other iDevice.
- Format/erase all data on your iPod Touch and make it unrecoverable.
- Erase already deleted files on your iPod Touch so that they cannot be recovered.
- Erase private files easily and make them unrecoverable to protect your privacy.
- 1-click data deletion solutions.
- Clean up junk files and temporary files from your iPod Touch to increase its performance and free up space.
- Preview media files before erasing them.
- It's recommended by lots of noted media arround the world: MacWorld, iPhoneinCanada, APPKED, etc.
Steps to Format iPod Touch Via Umate Pro
Step 1. Launch iMyFone Umate Pro on your Windows PC or Mac. And connect your iPod Touch to your computer.
Step 2. Select Erase All Data option of Umate Pro and then click Erase when prompted.
Step 3. Now you will need to select Security Level of data deletion. Three options are available. It is recommended that you use the ‘Medium' level. Type ‘delete' in the provided textbox.
Step 4. Click Erase Now button once everything is configured. All the data on your iPod Touch will now start erasing.
# 2 Format iPod Touch Via iTunes
Apple recommends that you use iTunes to format iPod Touch or any other iDevice. Using iTunes Restore option will erase all the data and settings from your iPod Touch and install the latest iPod software.
First, it is recommended that you get your iPod Touch ready for formatting by following these steps:
- Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes. If not, update it from the official website.
- Create backup of all the files on your iPod Touch if you want to save them for later use.
- Open Settings app on your iPod Touch and navigate to [your name] > iCloud and then turn off Find My iPod option.
Once everything is set up, follow these steps to format iPod Touch via iTunes:
Step 1. Launch iTunes on your computer. And connect your iPod Touch to your computer with a compatible cable.
Step 2. If you are asked to provide device passcode or Trust This Computer, then complete these requirements.
Step 3. From iTunes, select your iPod Touch and navigate to Summary > Restore iPod option.
Step 4. Now click Restore again to confirm your action. iTunes will now format the device and install the latest iPod software.
# 3 Format iPod Touch without Computer
You can also format your iPod Touch without using a computer. You will need to use Settings app on your iPod Touch to achieve that. Formatting your iPod Touch via this method will erase all your stored data as well as reset your device's settings to default. The process to format iPod Touch via Settings app is quite straightforward.
Step 1. Open Settings app on your iPod Touch.
Step 2. Navigate to General > Reset option.
Step 3. You will see several option in this section. Find and select "Erase all Content and Settings" option. This is the one that will erase all your iPod Touch's data and restore its settings to default.
Step 4. Once you tap on the above mentioned option, you will be asked to confirm your action by entering your security code. Enter your security code to proceed.
Step 5. On the next screen, tap the Erase button twice and your formatting process will be finalized.