The oBike operator is reviewing the app security breach that was first reported in Singapore and was later discovered in 13 other countries. The only data that was not accessible online was the credit card information and the password of the users.
What is oBike Global Security Leak and its Affect?
The local bike-sharing operator oBike suffered the global data breach of its application that made the names and location of the users available online widely without any protection. The users in the Singapore first reported the matter. The German, British, and Swiss users affected along with the oBike app users present in 10 other countries across the globe. The oBike security leak appeared after the gap occurred in the app programming interface. This platform is used for referring a friend to the oBike app.
The major breach occurred in the app as the users can send the app invitation through social networking sites. Even they can provide information about their finished rides. While operating the app under refer-a-friend event, the users unknowingly disclosed their personal data and other information on the social networks. The unencrypted data that was mostly made public was the user’s name, ride location, E-mail address and the mobile numbers of the users. With this, the tech company added the extra security layers to its API in order to stop the security breach of the app.
Here are some of the major effects of the oBike security leak:
- This security breach unknowingly gave access to the personal information to the hackers.
- The user’s information was made public for much time that could have given first-hand authority to criminals.
- No evidence found about the misuse of the data, but on ground realities, it may have happened.
The safety tips were provided to the users by asking them to use the virtual credit card that uses the disposable credit card number.
What Harm do the Hackers with Malicious Intent Cause to Any App?
Mobile devices are used worldwide be it Android or iPhone. With the loopholes found in the mobile applications, the hackers can steal the important data from your mobile devices. The hackers with malicious intent can carry out following things.
- Inject Malware into applications to steal personal data, password of the screen lock, photo leak and other useful information.
- Intercept significant information.
- Accessing the IP of the company and compromising with the back-end network of a business house.
- Tamper with the app codes.
- Steal consumer data for fraud and identity theft.
Why is App Security Necessary?
Few pointers to maintain app security are:
- Encrypt the source code of the app data
- Understand the limitations of the codes while designing the apps for cross-platform
- Integrate with the MAM( Mobile App Management) and MDM ( Mobile Device Management)
- Carry out Data Security with sandbox, file-level encryption, and SQLite Database Encryption Module
- Keep in mind the API functionality, security, and authorization for the companies
Keep Your iPhone Away from App Security Threats
The iOS users can face a multitude of app-related risks due to an increased amount of hacking or data breach activities like oBike Leak. The users can prevent this from happening through:
Way 1. Wipe iPhone Data Permanently Instead of Deleting Data Simply
Have you noticed that the files you manually deleted from iPhone/iPad are still recoverable? It’s true. Data recovery tools can access deleted files easily. It’s important and necessary to erase iPhone data permanently and make it unrecoverable, in case you lose your device or give it to the wrong hands.
Even a normal reset cannot promise data is unrecoverable. You should consider iPhone data eraser like the ultimate one - iMyFone Umate Pro for Win/for Mac. It does what it advertises to protect you from privacy leak by permanently overwriting existing and deleted data, That’s why it’s recommended by lots of professional software-review sites, including MacWorld, iPhoneinCanada, APPKED, etc.
Only 3 Simple Steps are Needed to Wipe iPhone Data Safely:
Step 1: Connect the iOS device to computer and open Umate Pro.
Step 2: Choose the erasing mode, like “Erase Private Data” and let it scan.
Step 3: Preview and check the iPhone data. Let it start to erase.
Why Should You Choose iMyFone Umate Pro:
- Zero Recovery: All the files that were wiped by iMyFone cannot be accessed again even by FBI.
- 4 Erasing Options: It gives you to erase iPhone data in a secure and smart way according to your needs.
- Current & Deleted Files: With 25+ scanning technologies, even the previously deleted files can be shown up and erased.
- Wipe 3rd-Party Apps: Wipe up the third party apps data and fragments completely, including WhatsApp, Viber, WeChat, Snapchat, Facebook, Chrome, and 10+ more.
- Easy to Use: It’s simple interface allows you to follow the steps easily, which doesn’t require professional knowledge.
Way 2. Attention to Passwords Management
To keep your apps in top security, all the apps should have different codes and each must contain a variety of symbols and cases. To avoid you forget the passwords, you need to take notes for it.
Way 3. Activate Find My iPhone
For saving oneself from app security threats simply click on Settings > iCloud > Find My iPhone. It enables and sends the last location before your battery life expires.
Way 4. Do not opt for Jailbreak
This will give way to the malicious virus and will not let the user update their iDevice. This will avert patching up of vulnerabilities and the bugs.
Way 5. Disable App Permissions
Few apps will ask for your permission to access your iDevice. The users should take the control and only provide access to few iOS apps. You can go to “Settings > Privacy” and turn off the permissions for specific apps.
Way 6. Protect Your Location
Turn this feature off by clicking on Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Location (specific locations that users want to turn off).
Note: Do not disable the location for the app Find My iPhone.