You can also read this guide in Français.
Want to send your iPhone to repair? Before sending the iPhone, it is advisable to erase all content and settings on iPhone. It is important to wipe it clean and erase all data including messages, photos and files in order to be sure that your data is well protected. However, it is important to note that there are several ways that can be employed in erasing contents and settings on your iPhone and this article will look at some of the ways.
What is“Reset”on Your iPhone
Every iPhone has a “reset settings” function. What this simply means is that it will reset the settings on your iPhone to its original state, meaning your iPhone will erase all exiting content and settings . It is important to note that unless you are selling the phone, you may not need to erase all contents and settings on the phone.
Cleaning your iPhone through the “Reset Settings” option takes just few steps. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
Is There Any Bad Effect of “Reset”?
Make no mistake, a factory reset on your iPhone will bring it back to its initial settings. A hard reset will erase all content and settings on iPhone, but will not be enough to ensure that your data are safe when deleted.
This means that the data erased through a hard “factory reset” can be recovered by using professional iPhone data recovery software. The truth is that the factory reset does not permanently erase your iPhonedata and as such does not enhance privacy since data erased can be recovered especially if the phone is sold.
Completely Overwrite Original Contents to Make Them Disappear Permanently - iOS 11 supported
iMyFone Umate Pro or iMyFone Umate Pro for Mac is one of the best tools to completely overwrite the original contents of your iPhone to make it permanently deleted. It utilizes 4 “erase mode” to delete your various data permanently. With this software, you can be rest assured that your data will not get into the wrong hands especially even if the phone is sold or even if iphone data recovery software is used on it. Any data erased by the Umate Pro is permanently deleted.
Key Features of iMyFone Umate Pro iPhone Eraser
- Erase Private Data: This option will scan and find all your existing private files. You can preview and select any of the files and erase them.
- Erase Deleted Files: In this mode, you can find the already deleted file on your iPhone and erase them permanently. This will come in handy especially if the iPhone is to be given to another user
- Erase All Data: While the iPhone setting “Erase all” can erase a data which can be recovered later, the Umate “Erase all Data” mode will delete data and it cannot be recovered.
- Fully compatible with iOS 11 and receive lots of positive reviews from macworld.co.uk, getintopc.com, pocket-lint.com, macbed.com etc.
The following steps are needed in order to use iMyFone Umate Pro to erase all content and settings iPhone:
Step 1: Download and run iMyFone Umate Pro on your computer, then connect your iPhone.
Step 2: Choose the mode "Erase All Data".
Step 3: Scan your iPhone, after the scan is finished, start erasing the data.
Difference between Resetting iPhone/iPad from Settings and Using iMyFone Umate Pro
- You can selectively choose what files to erase on iMyFone Umate Pro, but if you reset your device for Settings, you have no chance to choose.
- iMyFone Umate Pro can not only erase all data on you device, but also can detect and find the deleted files which still exist on your iPad or iPhone, and you can delete them with just few steps. This would ensure that all the files and settings are deleted securely to prevent privacy leak.
- The most important feature is that iMyFone Umate Pro can erase all data safely, once the data is erased, it is impossible to recover, even with advanced data recovery tool. But if you reset your device from Settings, the data may still be retrieved with some data recovery tools, like iMyFone D-Back.