You may ask "what are restrictions on iPhone". If you are a parent who is concerned about what your kids see or do on their iPhone/iPad, then you will be glad to know that Apple offers a perfect tool to restrict access to certain features and content on iPhone via its Restrictions feature. Restrictions is a powerful feature that is included in all iPhone/iPad by default, so you don't have to download or install anything in order to impose restrictions.
What Are Restrictions on iPhone/iPad?
Also known as Screen Time (on iOS 12), Restrictions is a feature in iOS 11 and earlier versions allow you to manage and restrict which apps, features, and content your kids can access on their iPhone. In order to use Restrictions, you will first need to turn them on via the Settings app. You will also need to set up a password for Restrictions so that no one (besides you) can turn them off.
Key Features of Restrictions
As mentioned before, Restrictions allow you to control access to several things on an iPhone such as certain content types, certain apps, features, privacy settings, device functions, cellular data usage, and more. Let's look at the details of these features.
Blocking Apps & Features
As the name suggests, you can block certain apps and features via this section of Restrictions. Some of the apps and features you can block include AirDrop, Safari, FaceTime, Camera, Siri & Dictation, etc. These apps and features are allowed by default, but with Restrictions you can easily block access to them.
Preventing Purchases, Downloads, and Installations
With Restrictions, you can prevent your kid from purchasing, downloading, and installing any apps via the Internet. This section is flexible as you can only block purchases if you want, so that your kid can download and install the content that you have already purchased for him/her.
Setting Filters for Content Ratings
This section of Restrictions is highly useful when it comes to blocking access to certain objectionable content. You can set filters for Podcasts & iTunes U as well as Music. You can completely block Explicit Content and choose the rating levels for each type of content such as Apps, Movies, and TV Shows.
With the Privacy Section of Restrictions, you can block access to common functions and content that could lead to privacy leak. These include Location Services, Reminders, Contacts, Bluetooth Sharing, Photos, Facebook, Twitter, and more. You can allow or block access to the above-mentioned functions and content individually or all at once.
This is another useful section of Restrictions that allows you to prevent your kid from making certain changes. You can block changes to Accounts (calendar, email, and contacts), Volume Limit, Background App Refresh (apps keep refreshing even when are not in use), and more.
This section of Restrictions allows you to restrict your kid from playing multiplayer games on iPhone via Game Center. Furthermore, you can also prevent your kid from making friends via Game Center. This is useful as it can help prevent privacy leak.
How to Use Restrictions on iPhone/iPad?
Use Restrictions on iOS 11 and below
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone.
- Navigate to General > Restrictions.
- Find and tap on Enable Restrictions option.
- Now you will need to set up a password for Restrictions which will allow you to control access to certain features, apps, and content and no one else will be able to modify those Restrictions.
- Once you have set up the Restrictions password, choose what to restrict on the next screen.
Use Screen Time on iOS 12
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone.
- Navigate to Screen Time and find and tap on Turn on Screen Time option.
- After that, find and tap on Continue and then This is My iPhone/This is My Child's iPhone options.
- Now you will need to set up a four-digit Restrictions password.
- After setting up the password, choose what features, apps, and content you wish to restrict on the next screen.
Bonus: How to Safeguard Your Private Data on iPhone/iPad?
The purpose of Restrictions on iPhone is to protect your privacy. There is another way to safeguard your private data on iPhone i.e. erasing your undesired private data permanently. You can achieve this by using the third-party tool called iMyFone Umate Pro.
Options to Protect Your Private Data
- Erase All Data: Permanently erase everything on your iPhone with a single click via this mode.
- Erase Deleted Files: Deleted data can be easily recovered but with this mode of Umate Pro, you can make sure that it is completely unrecoverable.
- Erase Private Data: If you want to permanently erase your personal and private data like messages, contacts, photos, call logs, notes, etc., then this mode is for you.
Steps to Permanently Delete Your Private Data
Step 1. Connect Your Device. Run iMyFone Umate Pro and connect your iOS device (iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) via a cable.
Step 2. Scan Your Device. Select Erase Private Data mode and click on Scan button. It will take several minutes to scan all your personal data.
Step 3. After scanning, you can preview your personal files. Select the unwanted data and click on Erase Now button.
Step 4. After several minutes, your private data will be erased permanenly, no one can recover them even the FBI!