iPhone freezing is not a rare issue. Many iOS users face this problem from time to time. There could be a number of reasons behind this issue, including malfunctioning app, corrupt junk/temporary files, etc. Fortunately, there are several solutions available.
- Method 1: Erase Junk Files and Temporary Files
- Method 2: Reset Your iPhone
- Method 3: Restore Via Recovery Mode
Part 2. If the App is Frozen
If Your iPhone is Completely Frozen
Following are some solutions you can try if your iPhone is completely frozen:
Erase Junk Files and Temporary Files
Usually, the main culprits of iPhone getting frozen are the temporary and junk files that are produced by third-party apps with regular use. The chances of iPhone getting frozen are high if the temporary files somehow get corrupted. You can use iMyFone Umate Pro to clean these temporary/junk files for free.
Steps to Erase Junk and Temp Files
Step 1. Launch iMyFone Umate Pro and connect your iPhone.
Step 2. Click on Quick Scan button, it will scan and analyze data smartly
Step 3. After scanning, you will see how much Junk files and Temporary files on your device, click on Clean button beside each item.
After the above steps, you will find that you iPhone can work normally as before!
What Can iMyFone Umate Pro Do for You?
- Scan and erase temporary and junk files from your iPhone that are produced by third-party apps for free.
- It allows you to erase all your personal data of your iPhone permanently, including Messages, Contacts, Mail, Photos, Videos, System Settings and more.
- Scan and permanently erase previously deleted data from your iPhone, so that no one can retrieve them via some third-party recovery software.
- Umate Pro allows you to preview the files and permanently erase them selectively.
- The software can also scan for third-party app data and permanently erase them, including WhatsApp, WeChat, Snapchat, Kik, Instagram and 10 more.
- A great amount of professional software review sites recommend iMyFone Umate Pro to protect privacy, including MacWorld, iPhoneinCanada, APPKED, etc.
Reset Your iPhone
There are three types of resets (normal restart, soft reset, and hard reset) you can use when your iPhone is frozen.
Apple suggests that a normal restart (turning off iPhone and then turning it on again) should be your first effort to resolve the frozen iPhone problem.
- Press the Wake/Sleep button of your iPhone and hold it until a slider appears.
- Use the slider to turn off iPhone.
- Once the device is completely turned off, press the Wake/Sleep button again and hold it for a few seconds until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Soft reset is considered a force restart of the device. You should use it if you cannot normally restart your iPhone when its frozen. Here are the steps to soft reset your iPhone:
- Press the Wake/Sleep button as well as the Volume down button of your iPhone simultaneously and hold it for at least ten seconds.
- When the Apple logo appears on the screen, release the buttons. Your iPhone will automatically restart.
Hard reset erases all data of iPhone and restores the device to factory default. You may not be able to hard reset your iPhone if it is frozen. That’s why it is recommended that you hard reset it via iTunes.
Step 1. Use a compatible USB cable to connect your iPhone to your computer. Then open iTunes.
Step 2. Select your iPhone in iTunes and navigate to Summary > Restore iPhone.
Step 3. You will be asked to create a backup. It is recommended that you create it because hard reset erases all data.
Step 4. After the backup is created, click the Restore button. Your iPhone will automatically restart once the restore process is complete.
Restore Via Recovery Mode
If your frozen iPhone cannot be detected in iTunes, then you should restore it via recovery mode. Follow these instructions:
Step 1. Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer.
Step 2. Now press and hold your iPhone Wake/Sleep button as well as the Volume down button simultaneously for a few seconds until iTunes logo appears. If you see the Apple logo, ignore it. You need to wait for the iTunes logo to appear.
Step 3. If everything goes right, you will see a pop-up in iTunes that will tell you that your iPhone is in recovery mode.
Step 4. Click the Restore button to start the restore process. iTunes will now download the latest firmware for your device and install it to your iPhone. Your iPhone will automatically restart once the restore process is complete.
If the App is Frozen
Sometimes iPhone appears to be frozen but it is actually the app that is frozen due to some reason. If that is the case, then you can easily solve the problem by force restarting the app. The method to do varies depending on the iPhone model.
Force Restart the App on iPhone 8 or Earlier
- Press the Home button of your iPhone twice. The recently used apps will be displayed.
- Now force close the app that is frozen by swiping up.
- Once the app is closed, simply launch it again.
Force Restart the App on iPhone X
- Swipe up from the Home screen of iPhone X and pause.
- Now touch the icon of the app that is frozen and hold it.
- Close the app by swiping up.
- Launch the app again from Home screen.