You can also read this guide in Français.
Do you know that every year a new version of iPhone is released into the market for consumers to purchase, and over 50% of sales made by AppleTM on every new iPhone is purchased by old iPhone Users? Apple Inc. is targeting to sell over 80 million iPhone 8/iPhone 7S/iPhone 7S Plus when it's released by the end of this fall. It is then clear that over 40 million old iPhone users are expected to sell or give away their iPhone 7, 6, 6s, 5, 5s, 4 and 4s in order to purchase the new iPhone.
Why Do iPhone Users Sell Their Old iPhone?
There are several reasons why iPhone users sell their old iPhone when a new version is introduced to the market. Some of these reasons are highlighted below:
- Most iPhone users would like to dispose their 16GB iPhone in order to purchase 64GB or 128GB due to variation in storage Space capacity .
- Price of the new iPhone is usually exorbitant, and users who do not have enough cash to purchase the new one would opt to sell the old one to augment for the price of the new one.
- iPhone in a sense is a luxury phone. Therefore, the newer and pricier ones are appreciated more than the older and cheaper versions.
- In order to minimize privacy leak, most iPhone users would sell their device out to strangers instead of giving it out to their friends.
However, whether you are giving out your iPhone or selling it, you should wipe iPhone before selling ensure that all your sensitive data are wiped out from the device before handing it over to the buyer.
How to Wipe iPhone Before Selling It - iOS 12 Supported
Before you sell or give out your iPhone, you should ensure that all personal information recorded in your Notes, Calendar entries, Document, Photos, Safari history, Videos, Voice notes, etc. are deleted completely.
Before erasing your iPhone data for sale, make sure that your iPhone is signed out of your iCloud account, so that the files you manually delete from your iPhone will not be deleted from your iCloud and other iDevices. To sign out of iCloud:
Step 1: Launch the Setting app and click on iCloud.
Step 2: Scroll down to "Sign Out" and select the option. Click on "Sign Out" again to confirm your request.
Step 3: Click on "Delete from My Device" and type in your Apple ID password to complete the process.
If you have completed these steps, then you can proceed to erase the contents of your old iPhone. In order to cleanup your iPhone and avoid the privacy leak, you should follow the underlying steps on how to manually erase your iPhone before selling it.
Step 1: Launch the iPhone Settings app and click on General.
Step 2: Click on "Reset" and select "Erase All Contents and Settings."
Step 3: You may be required to enter your device passcode, and then click on "Erase iPhone to complete the process."
Disadvantages of Erasing iPhone Manually
There are quite a number of downsides to deleting your iPhone files manually. Some of these disadvantages include:
- Deleted files can be recovered: Manually deleted files on iPhone can easily be recovered with a recovery tool. Hence, this process is inefficient in securing and protecting your privacy from leaking, thereby compromising your personality.
- Time consuming: Manually resetting an iPhone or any other iDevice takes a long time to finish. Hence, you should opt for other means of achieving this end, if you do not have the time.
- Absence of erasing modes: In situations where you intend to give away the phone with some relevant files in it to someone, but you will like to erase your private and sensitive files from the device, manually erasing files on iPhone does not offer such options.
- Data loss: If you are not logged out of iCloud while manually deleting your files, you will lose your iCloud sync files because they will be deleted from your iCloud account and from other devices that are synchronized to the same iCloud account.
Perfect Alternative to Erasing Old iPhone Manually (iOS 12 Supported)
iMyFone Umate Pro or iMyFone Umate Pro for Mac is a PC-based tool that can be used to erase deleted files, erase private files, reset iPhone to factory settings and individually delete data from iPhone. If offers 100% security on your deleted personal information by making sure that deleted data are not recoverable by any data recovery tool. Some of the advantages of using iMyFone Umate Pro in wiping iPhone before selling include:
- iMyFone Umate Pro gives you the option to delete all kinds of data from your iPhone both previously deleted data, current data, system data, third-party app data, visual and hidden junk files, residual files, Safari history, cached files, etc.
- iMyFone Umate is fast, accurate, and the most efficient way of erasing data and make them 100% unrecoverable even with recovery tools.
- With Umate Pro, you can get to preview the files you intend to delete, and selectively or mass delete such files.
- iMyFone Umate Pro offers 3 erase-modes to choose according to your need, which include Erase all data, Erase deleted files and Erase Private Data.
How to Wipe iPhone before Selling with iMyFone Umate Pro (Also Work for iOS 11)
To have a calm mind that all the sensitive data in your iPhone has been wiped clean, you will need to follow these three generic steps of using iMyFone Umate Pro in erasing iPhone data.
Step 1: Connect your iOS 11 device to your computer and launch the iMyFone Umate Pro app on your computer desktop.
Step 2: Select an erase mode and scan your iPhone.
Step 3: Select the files that you want to erase and click “Erase Now” to erase your iPhone data permanently.