No doubt, messages are important for phone users. It is crucial to retain them for future reference. However, mistakes sometimes do happen, and you may end up deleting your messages. For this reason, people want to know "whether iCloud backs up deleted messages". People also want to know "Does iCloud saves deleted text messages". Fortunately, in this article, you will find the answer to view deleted text messages on iCloud effectively.
- Part 1: Does iCloud Backup Deleted Text Messages?
- Part 2: How to View Deleted Text Messages on iCloud?
Does iCloud Backup Deleted Text Messages?
The answer to the above question can be a Yes or a No. iOS saves all data in its database. When you delete text messages on your iOS device, iOS just moves the messages from the "Allocated" category to the "Unallocated" category. The actual data still sits on your device. When you create new data, the space containing "Unallocated" entries will be occupied first. The deleted data gets overwritten.
Simply put, if the messages you deleted are yet to be overwritten and you happen to make an iCloud backup in advance, the answer is Yes, iCloud will back up the deleted messages. On the other hand, if the deleted messages have been overwritten already, iCloud will not back up the text messages.
How to View Deleted Text Messages on iCloud?
You may wonder if it is possible to view deleted text messages in iCloud backup. Actually, it is possible. After restoring your iCloud backup, which includes the deleted text messages, to your iOS device, you will have the ability to see deleted messages on iCloud. What's more, you can use a third-party data recovery tool to view the deleted messages on iCloud. If you are interested in how to view deleted text messages in iCloud backup, keep reading.
1. View Deleted Text Messages in iCloud Backup (Official Ways with Disadvantages)
If you have backed up your iPhone via iCloud before deleting text messages, you can restore them from iCloud backup then view it freely.
Step 1. Open Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2. Tap on your name.
Step 3. Select iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups.
Tap to see if the backup predates the deletion of your text messages. If so, you can continue to erase and restore your iPhone with the iCloud backup.
Step 1. Go to Settings > General > Reset.
Step 2. Choose Erase All Contents and Settings.
Step 3. A confirmation menu will pop out, click on Erase Now to wipe out everything on your iPhone.
Step 4. Your iPhone will reboot with a list of options, from which choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
Step 5. Sign into iCloud by entering the password asked for.
Step 6. Choose the appropriate backup you want to recover.
Once you successfully restored your iPhone from an older iCloud backup, all your deleted data should be back in your iPhone, including the deleted text messages, you can click to view them freely now.
- You should have backed up your data via iCloud manually before deleting text messages.
- You should ensure that the iCloud backup you choose to recover data from includes your deleted text messages.
- Restoring from iCloud backup will overwrite all the existing data on your iPhone.
- All types of data in iCloud backup will be restored, not only text messages.
2. View Deleted Text Messages Using Messages in iCloud Feature [iOS 11.4/12/13/14]
Recently Apple rolled out a new feature called Messages in iCloud to store your messages in Apple’s Cloud service. This enhancement enables you to sync messages across all iOS devices and download messages from iCloud freely. Want to use Apples’ sync service Messages in iCloud, you need to know how to enable this new feature manually. Here’s how.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Tap your name at the top of the banner and tap iCloud.
3. Switch Messages off. A pop prompt will be asking you if you would like to download text messages and disable Messages in iCloud, tap "Disable and Download Messages".
After that, your device will be downloading text messages from your iCloud, and you will view them without hassle.
This feature is not valid when your iOS device has been offline for a while, in addition to that, if you switch to a new device, you cannot see any older messages again.
3. View Deleted Text Messages in iCloud Backup via Third-Party Tool
The third-party tool we recommend for viewing deleted messages in iCloud backup is iMyFone D-Back iPhone Data Recovery. This tool allows iOS users to extract 20+ files from iCloud backup and view in real-time. What's more, you can recover deleted or lost data from iPhone/iPad easily. The following are the features it offers:
- Directly see /retrieve deleted text messages on iCloud with/without backup.
- It can selectively or fully recover data from iCloud backups and allows you to free preview the files before the recovery.
- It supports accessing 20+ data types, including your text messages, WhatsApp messages, notes from iCloud backup.
- It also supports to view data from iTunes backup and device itself, no matter deleted or existing.
- It provides an iOS System Recovery feature to help you handle iOS problems.
- It does not overwrite current data on your device.
- Compatible with new iOS 14/13/12.1/12 and iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)/XS/XR/XS (Max).
20% off Coupon Code: 5ED-FQ1-KZU
Steps to View Deleted Text Messages in iCloud Backup
Step 1: Run iMyFone D-Back on your computer. On the left-hand panel, click on Recover from iCloud Backup and then Start.
Step 2: Choose the files you would like to recover. Here you need to choose Message, but remember that you can choose other types of data if you want.
Step 3: Use your Apple ID and Password to log into iCloud. iMyFone D-Back will locate all the backup files available in your iCloud account. Choose the backup you want to view and click Next.
Step 4: iMyFone D-Back will download the iCloud backup files. After the scan is completed, you should see your files organized. Preview the files and you can see your deleted texts on iCloud.
You can also choose to recover the deleted messages to the computer. Simply click the Recover button and select a location on your Mac or PC to store the deleted messages.
iCloud can back up deleted messages as long as they have not been overwritten. But, if you backed up your deleted messages in iCloud, you can only view them after restoring the backup. To view the deleted messages selectively, you need to use a third-party tool. The best tool available for this task is iMyFone D-Back. This tool will help you recover deleted messages and other important data. Download its free trial version to view your deleted text messages in iCloud backup for now!