WhatsApp is one of the most frequently used messaging platforms around the world, and that’s because of the array of benefits it offers. Not only is it easy to use, but it provides you with an unrivaled level of encryption to keep your personal data private. Considering how valuable conversations can be, what happens if you accidentally delete them and need to retrieve them?
The most important question is, has Apple built a function into iCloud that allows you to recover WhatsApp messages from a backup?
1. Does iCloud Backup Deleted WhatsApp Messages?
It's a tricky one to answer, because iCloud does have the capability to back up deleted WhatsApp messages, but it depends on whether your iPhone still holds the data. When you delete something on your iPhone, the data will land in an undercover database known as SQLite. Naturally, your iPhone will assume that the deleted WhatsApp messages are no longer needed, and will send it from "Allocated" over to "Unallocated".
If you create new data on your iPhone and you have very little storage, your iPhone will look at the "Unallocated" section to free up some space. So, it will overwrite your WhatsApp messages and make it impossible for iCloud to back them up. On the contrary, if you don't create new data or you have sufficient storage, your WhatsApp messages may remain in the database which iCloud can access.
2. Can I View Deleted WhatsApp Messages in iCloud Backup?
The only problem is, even though iCloud can back up deleted data which is still held on your iPhone, Apple doesn't allow users to view it. That means that data is still basically useless, because you can't open it. It seems that Apple deems any deleted as not needed, regardless of whether it's been backed up by iCloud or not. So even you restore the iCloud backup to your device, you cannot view the deleted WhatsApp messages.
But, there's no need to panic, because there are plenty of third-party data recovery tools out there which will offer you the chance to view deleted WhatsApp messages. If you need a reliable, proven recovery tool, then turn to iMyFone D-Back; it will empower you to view deleted WhatsApp messages with no hassle at all.
3. How to View Deleted WhatsApp Messages for Free?
Has been recommended by leading tech sites CNET and Makeuseof, iMyFone D-Back does excellent in iPhone data recovery tool. The features that iMyFone D-Back possess are incredible, hence why it's an application that is utilized all around the world. Take a look at 4 advantages that it provides:
- It can recover deleted iPhone WhatsApp messages from iCloud backup. If you don’t want to go down the iCloud route, it’s capable of pulling deleted WhatsApp messages from iPhone directly.
- It can export existing or deleted WhatsApp messages from iCloud backup in a matter of minutes.
- If you need to recover alternative data, then you can; iMyFone D-Back can also recover deleted text messages, iMessages, notes and more.
- With the preview function built in, you can view all of the data from within the back up for FREE.
Steps to View and Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages from iCloud Backup
We aren't going to leave you to figure out the tool for yourself, though. Here is a step-by-step guide that will teach you how to use iMyFone D-Back to view your deleted data.
- Open up the tool, head to the "Recover from iCloud Backup" tab, and click "Start".
- Log into your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password. You don’t have to worry about your privacy – iMyFone D-Back cannot and will not record your information.
- Once you’re in your account, the software will begin retrieving all of the iCloud backups that are currently available. When it’s finished, choose the particular backup you want and then hit "Next".
- Hit the data type that you want to recover; you’ll want "WhatsApp" in this instance. If you need to view other data, select them as well.
- When it’s completed the scan, you’ll be able to preview all of the data from within the backup. Bear in mind, it’s FREE to view the data, but you will need to pay if you want to recover the data.
4. Back Up WhatsApp Data In Case of Accidental Deletion
Moreover, like we've touched on previously, you may encounter a situation whereby your iPhone has overwritten the data which prevents iCloud from backing it up. The only way to combat that issue is to regularly back up your WhatsApp messages. If you're unaware of how to do that, please refer to this guide, which tells several ways to back up WhatsApp for free.
We appreciate that losing WhatsApp messages can be incredibly frustrating, so we hope that this article has helped you find a solution about how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages from iCloud backup. Don't forget to download the free trial version of iMyFone D-Back to scan your backups or iPhone and confirm whether your data can be found.