Losing your iMessages can cause a lot of problems. There could be many different reasons cause the data loss, such as updating to iOS 12, jailbreaking, iPhone repair and more. Every iPhone user is provided with 2 recovery options to help you find back the data you lose on your device. You can either recover from your iTunes or iCloud backup. This article will tell you how to recover the data from iCloud backup. If you did back up your iMessages on iCloud, this article will help you with two effective ways to recover missing iMessages from iCloud, regardless of how they were lost in the first place.
- Method 1: Restore iPhone from iCloud Backup (Data Loss)
- Method 2: Recover iMessages from iCloud Backup without Resetting (iOS 12 Supported)
1. Restore iPhone from iCloud Backup
If you have backed up your iPhone before losing your iMessages, you can restore your iPhone from iCloud backup and get your iMessages back on your iPhone. See the procedures below.
Step 1: Go to Settings > General > Reset and then tap on "Erase all Contents and Settings." This will erase all data and take you to the setup screen to allow you to restore the device.
You will lose the data that are not backed up in iCloud after restore.
Step 2: Follow the on-screen instructions on the setup screen until you reach "Apps and Data" and then choose "Restore from iCloud Backup."
Step 3: Sign in to iCloud using your Apple ID and then select a relevant backup. Stay connected to a Wi-Fi network to complete the process.
However, as we've mentioned above, to get back iMessages by restoring iPhone from iCloud backup will overwrite the current data on your iPhone. And one more disadvantage: if you want to recover just some iMessages instead of all the data, this method may not be suitable for you. In the second part, we will introduce a useful method by which you could recover only the iMessages you need from iCloud to computer without resetting your device.
2. Recover Only iMessages from iCloud Backup without Resetting
Own a recent iCloud backup but only want to recover the important imessages? Recovering iMessages from iCloud could be easy by using iMyFone D-Back. With only three steps: Select - Preview - Recover, you can easily get the iMessages in your iCloud backup files. Check more features of this tool:
Why Choose iMyFone D-Back (iOS 12 Supported)
- It allows to selectively restore iMessages from iCloud. This way will protect the other data on your device from overwritten.
- It can directly view and extract unreadable iCloud backup files and even iTunes backup files.
- You can preview the iMessages from iCloud backup and choose those you need for recovery.
- Even if the iMessages are not found in iCloud, you still have another option of scanning your device to find the lost messages.
- The high recovery rate of D-Back has won trust among thousands of users and even some well-known tech sites like CNET, PCWorld, 9To5Mac, Engadget and more, making it the most reliable iOS data recovery tool.
Steps to Recover iMessages from iCloud Backup without Resetting
Step 1: Download and install iMyFone D-Back on your Windows or Mac computer. From the primary window, click "Recover from iCloud Backup" option.
Step 2: Choose Message in the following window and click on the "Next" button.
Step 3: Login your iCloud account and the program will detect the iCloud backup files and display the available backups on the window.
Step 4: Press "Next" to search for iMessages. After completion, you will see that messages in the preview window. You can pick the ones that you want to extract and press "Recover" button. A small dialogue box appears, which asks you to choose the destination to save the files. Pick a folder on your computer and wait for the program to complete the process.
There you have learned 2 ways to recover iMessages from iCloud. Between the two I would highly recommend you to try iMyfone D-Back is it won't erase any data and you can selectively recover the messages.