The iOS beta offers a great way for users to gain access to the new iOS version before anyone else. But it has also been known to cause a few issues. Understanding what it is and how it works can help you easily decide if you’d like to be a beta tester or Apple or not. In this article, we take a look at all aspects of the iOS beta release, what it is and how it works.
1. Should You Upgrade to the iOS 11 Public Beta?
Apple will occasionally offer updates for iOS, watchOS, tvOS and MacOS as closed developer previews. They may also offer public betas for the iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac (there is no public beta for the Apple Watch.) These betas give the testers the unique ability to test out new features that may not be available on any public version of iOS. While testing out these features can be incredible, these betas have also been known to contain pre-release bugs that can hinder the normal function of your iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV and Mac.
Because of these pre-release bugs, the betas are not intended for everyday use on your primary device. We, therefore, recommend staying away from these developer previews unless you need them for software development. You should also avoid using the public beta especially if you depend on your device for daily use.
2. How to Sign Up for an iOS Beta
If you are interested in installing the Apple developer preview, you can go to https://developer.apple.com. On this website, you should find all the information you need regarding Apple’s Developer Program and gain access to the developer’s beta. You need to subscribe to the $99/year developer membership.
If on the other hand you are interested in the public beta program, you can go to https://beta.apple.com and click on the Sign up Link. If you already have an account, simply sign in with your Apple ID and password to download the latest public beta.
3. Public Beta VS Developer Beta Program
The Apple Beta Software program is aimed at collecting feedback on the pre-release software. The Apple Developer program allows developers to test and build applications. Therefore, participants on the Apple Beta software program may receive very different beta software from those on the Apple Developer Program. Apple Developer Program participants are also more likely to benefit from additional resources that are only available with the Developers Program.
4. How to Install iOS Public Beta
If you haven’t already, sign up for the public beta program on https://beta.apple.com and then follow these simple steps to install the public beta on your device.
- Open the Settings app on your device, tap on “General” and then tap on “Software Update.”
- You should see the beta update appear on the next screen. Click on “Download and Install.”
- Enter your passcode
- Tap “Agree” to the terms and conditions
- Tap “Agree” again and wait for the beta update to be installed on your device.
5. How to Install iOS Developer Beta
To install the iOS Developer Beta on your device, you need to sign up for the developer beta program on https://developer.apple.com. Once done, follow these simple steps to install the beta on your iPhone;
- Open Settings on your device and tap on “General.” Find and tap on “Software Update.”
- When you see the developer update appear on your device, tap “Download and Install.”
- Enter your Passcode and “Agree” to the Terms and Conditions.
- Tap “Agree” again to confirm and wait for the program to update the device.