Giving your child the freedom to learn about their environment and the world they live in is essential to their growth. The world we live in is a technology based one so part of your child’s growth will happen online in online communities whether you like it or not. While the Information age gives them access to a lot of valuable knowledge, allowing them to go online unsupervised is probably not wise. There are a lot of online threats that your child can fall victim to including cyber bullying, peer pressure, drugs and sexual exploitation.
This is why there is an increasing demand for the availability of good parental control apps so that parents can allow their kids to explore safely. Using one of the following 5 Parental control apps for cell phones, you can protect your child from these threats and ensure they grow unhindered and knowledgeable.
How We Evaluate and Rate
To provide you with a complete list of the best parental control apps to use, we took the following factors into account;
- How easy is it to install and configure the app on a smartphone and how much information does the app provide.
- Which program allows you to evaluate and review all apps on your child’s phone.
- Which tools does the app offer and does it restrict access to inappropriate online content.
- Since most kids communicate via text messages, we also sought apps that provide messaging monitoring tools. Does the app allow you to see both sent and received texts? Can you delete a contact or block messages remotely.
- We also looked for apps that offer accurate location tracking to allow you to be aware of the child’s location at all times.
Parental Control Apps for Android
The following are the best parental control apps for Android devices;
This parental control app is one of the most affordable in the market and comes with a wide range of features designed to help you easily monitor your child’s activities. You may need to root the target Android device to install the app, but the following are just some of the features you can enjoy;
- It gives you access to the Calendar, Internet History and bookmarks.
- It allows you to track chat on numerous apps including Facebook, WhatsApp, Snapchat, Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp and Kik.
- You can also track both incoming and outgoing emails.
- You can track incoming and outgoing calls
- You can track location using GPS and geofencing.
2. Kids Place
This is a great app for younger children. It is an app launcher that works by restricting access to data stored on the phone. Once installed, the app will create a custom home screen that displays only apps you have authorized the kids to use.
- It restricts phone calls and sending text messages.
- You can also restrict downloading new apps.
- It is also a great way to restrict in-app purchases or access to restricted apps.
3. Screen Time
This is a parental control app that is specifically designed to limit the amount of time a child can spend on the phone or tablet. It comes with features that allow you to set a time limit that can deny the child access to certain games and apps at certain times of the day.
- It offers parents a daily summary of their child’s activities on the device.
- It can be used to limit the amount of time a child spends on a device.
- It is free although you need to purchase the monthly subscription to enjoy all features.
4. Kids Launcher
Kids Launcher is an app that you can use to limit access to the internet. When installed on a device, you can easily select the apps you don’t want your children to use and the app will restrict the app. It can also be used to track the location of the device.
- You can use it to limit access to certain apps.
- You can use to limit access to websites or other information you don’t want your children to see.
- You can disable the device settings to prevent them from being changed.
- You can also block calls and texts
5. Norton Family
It is one of the most comprehensive parental control apps since it allows you to protect your children from online threats such as inappropriate web content, unsuitable mobile apps and inappropriate texting.
- With it you can track and then block websites you don’t want your child visiting.
- You can set up email alerts to let you know when your child attempts to visit such websites.
- It can protect more than one device on a premium subscription.