"I do not remember ever setting a password on my iTunes backups or encrypting the Apple backup password in my iTunes. Now, iTunes is asking me to provide the password for my backup. I have literally tried every possible solution I found online, and even when to the extent of contacting Apple Support, but they were unable to help me. Please, I need your help!"
– James Moore
If you are facing a similar issue as the one quoted above, then do not be disheartened. This article will enlighten you on all you need to know about iTunes backup and how to recover encrypt Apple backup password.
How to Make a Backup of Your iOS Devices
It's highly important to have a backup of your iOS device files and information in your computer (iTunes) or on Apple iCloud server. However, if you don't know how to back up your iOS device, then follow the guide below.
1How to back up an iOS device with iCloud
Step 1. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
Step 2. Click "Settings > iCloud > Backup".
Step 3. Turn on "iCloud Backup" if it isn't backed up yet.
Step 4. Tap "Back Up Now".
Step 5. You can check your backup status by clicking "Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage" and select your device. You'll be able to see your backup listing.
2How to back up an iOS device with iTunes
Step 1. Make sure you have the latest iTunes version and open iTunes on your computer.
Step 2. Connect your iOS device to your computer using your USB cable.
Step 3. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes. Click "Backup Now". The encryption is optional,
Step 4. Everything on your phone will be backed up. Just look under Latest Backup to find the date and time.
- iTunes doesn't encrypt your backup by default; you'll need to enable "password-protected Encrypt backup" option before iTunes can encrypt Apple backup password.
- However, iCloud automatically makes encrypted backups every time.
Advantages of Setting an Apple Backup Password to Encrypt Your Backup in iTunes
The following are advantages of setting an Apple backup password to encrypt your backup in iTunes:
1. Encrypt Apple backup password simply means that you're taking precautionary steps in securing your personal information and data stored within your iTunes backup file such as emails account password, contact details, credit card information, etc.
2. Encrypting your iTunes backup would ensure that anyone who gets hold of your computer won't be able to look through your backup because of the password.
3. Backup encryption also prevents people from accessing your location data.
4. There are other non-security related reasons why you ought to encrypt your iTunes backup such as making the transition to new device easy and fast.
How to Set an Apple Backup Password to Encrypt your iTunes Backup
If you want to encrypt Apple backup password on your computer, then the following steps will be helpful to you:
Step 1. Launch iTunes on your computer.
Step 2. Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your computer using a USB cable.
Step 3. Click on your device icon when it appears on the upper-left corner of your iTunes window.
Step 4. Look to the Summary section and select "Encrypt [device] backup" under the Backup section.
Step 5. Enter your password. Please, ensure to choose a password you can easily remember.
Encrypting Apple backup in iTunes helps us in many ways especially in protecting our privacy. However, it also causes much inconvenience when you forgot the Apple backup password. If you still failed after trying many possible passwords, iMyFone KeyGenius might be the saving help you need to unlock your iTunes backup password.
What to Do when You Forgot Apple Backup Password?
If you encrypt Apple backup password and forget the password in the future, then you can use iMyFone KeyGenius to unlock iTunes backup password or remove iTunes encryption settings. This tool is compatible with all iTunes version and can rescue you from any frustrating backup situation such as forgot iTunes password when installing the phone, iTunes is rejecting the original password, iTunes is demanding you provide a password when you never set, and when you're finding it difficult to change your backup password.
Key Features of iMyFone KeyGenius
- Remove iPhone encryption settings easily.
- Easy-to-use, and reliable tool that rescues you from every frustrating backup password situations.
- Offer 3 broad ways of unlocking iTunes password lock, which include Dictionary attack, Brute – force with mask attack, and Brute-force attack.
- Efficiently work on all versions of iTunes including 12.9
- 100% security with no data loss.
- Disables backup encryption settings and allow you to create new backups.
Steps to Decrypt Apple Backup Password via iMyFone KeyGenius.
Step 1. Select the unlocking mode "Unlock iTunes Backups" from the home interface.
Step 2. All the backed up files from your iOS device will be outlined here, choose the latest and click "Next".
Step 3. Choose any of the 3 (three) attack methods on the screen.
Click "Start to Unlock" tab to start the encrypt Apple backup password recovery process. In the end, you can copy out the password or open the text where it is saved.
We've learned all there is to know about Apple backup password - encryption and restoration. To this effect, you need to get a copy of iMyFone KeyGenius to unlock Apple backup password or decrypt iTunes backup. Please feel free to download the trial version of KeyGenius when you forgot your Apple backup password.