With a password protection to encrypt your backups in iTunes, you can save yourself of ‘prying-eyes’, and secure your personal documents. But what happens when you’ve lost iPhone backup password, or you can’t remember it? Read on to know more.
Can I Find Back My iPhone Backup Password If I Lost It?
It’s quite essential to backup your iPhone, and it’s just as vital to encrypt that backup when you perform this process with iTunes. But is it possible to recover your backup password when you forget it? The answer is Yes! It is possible to recover it. We’ll tell you three effective ways here.
Recover iPhone Backup Password Using KeyGenius
iMyFone KeyGenius is an advanced iTunes backup unlocker which helps you decrypt forgotten iTunes backup password with high success rate. It also removes iPhone backup encryption settings and enables you to change a different password or create a new backup without a password.
With these key Features you can easily recover your iPhone backup password:
- Unlock your iPhone backup password with 100% decryption rate.
- There are three powerful attack methods to unlock all kinds of password combinations.
- Only three steps are required to unlock backup encryption, no tech required.
- Remove iPhone backup encryption settings, and create new backup without the password.
These are the simple steps to follow in recovering your lost iPhone backup password.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to PC and run iMyFone KeyGenius.
Step 2: Select the respective mode on the home interface - “Unlock iTunes Backup”.
Step 3: Choose a backup file from the list of all backup files of your iPhone at iTunes default location and tap "Next".
Note: The Unlock Status shows the completion percentage of each backup, and you can continue the last unlocking process on any finished one.
Step 4: Select an unlocking method from three options.
Option 1. Dictionary Attack: A dictionary with a wide range of possible letters and numbers combination will help you find out your password if it’s one of the most commonly used passwords.
Option 2. Brute – Force with Mask Attack: if you remember some parts of your passwords, like length, characters, prefix/suffix or other information.
Option 3. Brute – Force Attack: This method is suitable if you can’t remember anything about your password. Although, it will take longer time trying every possible combination to unlock the password.
Step 5: As soon as you click “Start to Unlock”, the unlocking process begins immediately. It’ll take time though and this may be due to password complexity, computer configuration or iOS version.
Recover iPhone Backup Password with Keychain on Mac
This process is only possible if you’ve set a password when backing up iPhone and choose to remember the password as the picture shows below, your backup password can be stored in your Mac OS KeyChain. Here’s how to look for it when you lost iPhone backup password.
- On you Mac, go to Finder>Applications>Utilities>Keychain Access.
- TClick on All Items on the left side. Then type "iPhone Backup" in the search field, and then double-click it from the result list. If your iPhone backup is not listed here, that means your password is not stored in KeyChain.
- Click “Show Password” checkbox and enter your KeyChain password, which is your Mac user password by default, and then click allow. You’ll see your iPhone Backup password showing there.
Alternatively Use an iCloud Backup
If you lose iPhone backup password on iTunes and you are tired of the hassle of iTunes, then you can choose to use iCloud backup instead. Please note that iCloud only provides 5GB free storage, you will pay extra fees monthly if you exceed it.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected with WiFi.
- Go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
- Click on “Backup Now”.
Backing up on iCloud is just that easy.
Restoring or recovering your iPhone backup password can be very tasking if you’ve lost it. It will get you thinking of different combinations or possible passwords, which probably might not work. Thanks to some good heads who devised means of recovering it. Using Keychain on Mac or iCloud backup instead is a good choice, but both of them have limitations that might not make your recovery process possible. With iMyFone KeyGenius, you can recover it easily with three simple steps that ensures 100% decryption rate. No tech