It can be very frustrating when you are trying to open encrypted iPhone backup files but forgot the password. Which means that your backup files will remain inaccessible. There are ways you can get through this, and we will discuss the most reliable options here.
Part 2: Things about Encrypted iTunes Backups You Should Know
How to Open Encrypted iPhone Backup When Forgot Password
If you have forgotten your password and need to open backup files, it is possible to do this now. Here are two steps you can use to achieve that:
Step 1Find Your Backup Password
You'll need an reliable iPhone backup unlocker for this purpose. iMyFone KeyGenius is one of the reliable tools that can help you to unlock your iTunes backup password and remove iPhone encryption settings with ease. It is fully compatible with all iTunes versions, including 12.9, and can rescue you from any frustrating situation in a little time.
Comes with numerous features, KeyGenius iPhone Backup Unlocker will remove all the stress and frustration when you need to open encrypted iPhone backup. The key features include:
- Ease of use - It makes unlocking of iPhone backups extremely easy, letting you get back your files without wasting time
- High Compatibility - The tool is compatible with all versions of iTunes and supports all iOS devices
- Flexibility - 3 powerful attack methods are ideal for different situations and they guarantee 100% success rate
- The removing encryption setting - This is a great feature that makes creating and recovering backups easier, since passwords are not required
- 100% Secure - You don't have to worry about your backup data as the use of this tool guarantees zero damage to them
Steps to Unlock Encrypted iPhone Backup
Step 1: Open KeyGenius and select "Unlock iTunes Backup".
Step 2: Select the backup file whose password you would like to unlock.
Step 3: Choose the perfect attack type, depending on the situation you are dealing with.
Step 4: Click on "Start" to unlock the backup password and wait patiently for the process to finish.
Step 2 Open Encrypted iPhone Backup with iTunes
Once you have your password recovered, you can easily open your encrypted iPhone backup using iTunes.
Steps to Open (Restore) Encrypted Backup With iTunes
- Connect the iPhone to your compute using iPhone original USB cable
- Run iTunes on your computer: it will automatically find the iPhone device and display its icon on the upper-left corner of iTunes window
- Select the iPhone icon, click to highlight the "Summary" option on the left-side pane and locate the "Backups" on the right-side pane. The "Encrypt iPhone backup" option will be checked; uncheck the box.
- The "Enter Password" dialog box will come up. Enter the encryption password and click "OK". Your iPhone backup will be decrypted immediately.
You can do this directly when you know the encryption password. If you don't, use iMyFone KeyGenius to retrieve your password and proceed to this step to open the encrypted backups.
Things about Encrypted iTunes Backups You Should Know
There are few other things you need to know about iTunes encryption and we will summarize them below.
Tip 1 Things You Can and Can't Do With Encryption iTunes Backup
|Restore with iTunes when you have the password||Restore without your password|
|Read encrypted backup with third-party tools||Fully read your encrypted backup if it got corrupted|
|Save locally on computer encrypted backup data||Recover lost data when you lose your encryption password, unless you use reliable tool like KeyGenius|
Tip 2 Learn The Encryption Backup Process in iTunes
iTunes stores any backup file you create with hex-encoded SHA1 hash filenames and list them in the backup "manifest". When you need to protect the files further, you can encrypt the backups in iTunes by simply clicking "Encrypt backup". You will be prompted to set a password. This password will be needed anytime you want to restore the encrypted backup.
When it is time to open the encrypted data, you can use iTunes to do it if you still remember the password. In instances where you can't remember your password, using tools like KeyGenius will be the only way to open the encrypted backups.
When it comes to open encrypted iPhone backup, it's easier and straightforward if you know the encryption password: you can easily use iTunes to restore the encrypted files. In instances where you can't remember the encryption password, a reliable tool like iMyFone KeyGenius will help you retrieve the backups.