“My iTunes music library is damaged. I discovered this when I opened it and none of my music playlist is still there. Is there anything I can do to repair it? I can’t believe that all my 6000+ songs are gone!”
I guess the above user must have received the message “iTunes Library.itl can’t be read”. This message is shown when iTunes library gets corrupt. If you are facing the same challenge, then, the following 3 top ways to fix iTunes library might be of help.
How to Recover iTunes Library From iDevice
The following processes can help you fix damaged iTunes music library. This process is efficient if you’ve lost your songs in the damaged iTunes. If such songs were purchased from iTunes, you can recover then easily, but if they’re ripped from CDs, then you’ll have to rip them back.
1. Recover iTunes Library with Third-party Tool - Easy, Fast and Effective
When facing the situation of damaged iTunes, the best thing to do is to download and install iMyFone TunesMate to restore these files from your iDevices and help you repair your damaged iTunes library.
iMyFone TunesMate is a perfect iTunes alternative, it neither exert any damage to iTunes library when in operation, nor does it have any limits for transferring files between iDevice and iTunes/PC. Many tech-pro and IT experts have recommended iMyFone .
Key Features of iMyFone TunesMate
- Rebuild your iTunes library by transferring files from iPhone/iPad to iTunes, to get back your missing iOS files such as music, photos, videos, etc.
- TunesMate offers 100% successful sync between iPhone and iTunes, with no risk of data loss, it won’t erase any original data on iPhone while transferring.
- Multi-way sync feature is available with TunesMate. You can either sync your iTunes media library to iPhone, or from iPhone to iTunes, or from PC to iPhone, or from iPhone to PC.
- TunesMate offers you the right to preview your files, and selectively transfer them to any location or device (iPhone, iPad, iPod, USB flash drive, go pro, android phones, etc).
- Both purchased and non-purchased music can be transferred with iMyFone Tunesmate freely.
How to Use iMyFone TunesMate in Fixing iTunes Library
Step 1: Launch TunesMate on your PC. TunesMate will detect your iOS device and display it on its main windows.
Step 2: Click on “Transfer iDevice Media to iTunes” from the Home interface.
Step 3: Click on the “Start” button.
Step 4: Select the files you will like to sync and begin to rebuild your iTunes library.
2. Fix iTunes Library by Using The Previous iTunes Library Folder – A Little Complex
If you’ve ever received the notification “iTunes Library.itl can’t read files” from iTunes library, then you should know that your iTunes library is corrupt. You can fix this issue by replacing the corrupt “iTunes Library.itl” file with an older version.
To replace corrupt iTunes library with an older version, you will have to:
Step 1. Close your iTunes.
Step 2. Search and find “iTunes library.itl” on your computer, and change the folder’s name to anything – say “iTunes Library Damaged.itl”.
Step 3. Go to folder named “Previous iTunes Libraries” to find a recent iTunes Library.itl, choose the most recent – you will know by date.
Step 4. Copy the file and paste it at where the “iTunes Library Damaged.itl” is, and rename it “iTunes Library.itl”.
Step 5. This should help fix your iTunes library. You can now reopen your iTunes library.
To find the location of your iTunes library file on Windows PC, follow this path: User > Username > Music > iTunes > iTunes Library.itl
1. This isn’t an efficient method in that it may be a fast way of restoring iTunes library, but it restores old and outdated iTunes library.
2. This process does not promise to restore all the changes you’ve made to your recent iTunes library which has been corrupted.
3. You may still end up losing some of your files.
3. Reorganize Your iTunes Library – Not So Effective
This process may not take care of every iTunes issues, but it can help you work on your entire library simultaneously without making anything worse.
1. It will not recover your iTunes music library.
2. It will not rebuild your iTunes library.
3. It only fixes minor problems.