- iTunes cannot detect your iPhone or iPad?
- iTunes sync function is not working?
- iTunes goes unresponsive or freezes?
If you are in the same situations, upgrading to the latest version of iTunes is an essential step. However, sometimes, simple update of iTunes still cannot fix the issue as it won’t update the components as well. You may need to completely uninstall iTunes and its related components from computer and then reinstall the latest version of iTunes.
How to Upgrade to the Latest Version of iTunes
On a Windows computer:
- Launch iTunes.
- Look at the menu at the top and click Help.
- From the drop-down menu that comes up, click Check for Updates.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install the latest update.
On Mac OSX:
- Launch iTunes.
- Look at the top of your computer screen and click where it says iTunes.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and install the latest version of iTunes.
How to Uninstall Old Version of iTunes and Reinstall on Windows 7/8/10
First, Uninstall iTunes and Related Components
1. Go to Start and then Control Panel.
2. Click Programs.
3. Click Programs and Features.
4. Uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order by right-clicking on the program and clicking on Uninstall:
- iTunes Software
- Apple Software Update
- Apple Mobile Device Support
- Apple Application Support
- Any other programs that are related to iTunes or Apple.
On some systems, iTunes might have two versions of Apple Application Support. Be sure to uninstall both versions.
Note: You can type “apple” in the search bar of Programs and Features to check all the related programs are removed or not.
Second, Reinstall iTunes and Related Components
1. After iTunes is completely uninstalled, restart your computer
2. Download the latest version of iTunes from the official Apple download website.
3. Click on the downloaded file and you should see an installation wizard come up.
4. Follow the instructions and go through the steps of the installation wizard. This will involve agreeing to the terms and conditions, choosing where you want your iTunes folder to be, and a few other things.
5. Click Install.
6. Click Finish when it is done.
Remove and Reinstall iTunes and Related Components on Mac
If you have a Mac, uninstalling iTunes is not as easy since it is a built-in application. However, with a bit of extra work, you can also remove iTunes and reinstall it.
First, Uninstall Old Version of iTunes
1. In the Applications folder, locate the iTunes application icon.
2. Right-click on it and choose “Get Info.”
3. Click on the little lock icon on the right bottom corner of the window.
4. Type in the administrator password when prompted.
5. Click where it says Sharing & Permissions.
6. Make sure that “Everyone” is selected in the Read & Write privileges.
7. Drag the iTunes application icon from Application folder to the trash.
Reinstall Latest Version of iTunes
1. Go to the Apple download website and download iTunes.
2. Right click the downloaded file and choose “Open.”
3. An installation wizard should come up. Just follow the on-screen instructions until the application is installed. (Agree to the terms of service, choose a location for your folder, and so on.)