Have you recently discovered to your horror that your iTunes library is missing? Maybe you have just upgraded your iTunes library and all of a sudden, your photos and data in iTunes are gone. Of course, this is not an isolated case. It happens to iTunes users often. Some users even experience a total crash of iTunes library. What can you do if this happens to you? There are solutions to restore your iTunes library quickly. Let us look at them.
Restore your iTunes library if iTunes Library Disappeared
As stated above, iTunes library can crash or miss after an update, but that should not be the end of the matter. You can restore it by following the steps below.
Step 1: First, exit iTunes if you have it opened.
Step 2: Go to your computer and find external drive.
Step 3: Backup iTunes folder to the external drive.
By default, your iTunes Media folder is in your iTunes folder:
• Mac: Finder > username > Music
• Windows Vista or later: \Users\username\Music\
• Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\
Step 4: Now, drag the previously backup iTunes folder from the external drive to a specific location on the internal drive.
Step 5: After this, return iTunes folder back into its previous location.
Step 6: If you use Windows, press down the Shift Key or Option key (if you use Mac) while opening iTunes.
Step 7: "Choose iTunes Library" message will appear. Click Choose Library.
Step 8: Select the iTunes folder that you dragged in step 4 from the internal drive.
Step 9: Click open (Windows) or Choose (Mac).
Step 10: Finally, select the iTunes Library.itl file inside.
That is it. These steps will help you to restore your crashed or missing iTunes library quickly. However, you may want to use a less complicated and reliable way of restoring iTunes library. What you need to do here is to use a third-party tool.
Rebuild iTunes library if iTunes Library Missing
iMyFone TunesMate is a multipurpose iPhone manager that can be used to delete files, transfer/export data, manage photos and other media, rebuild iTunes library, and sync data between iPhone and computer.
TunesMate is very effective and can make the task of restoring/rebuilding a crashed or missing iTunes library fast and easy. There are some specific functions that this software can perform. Let us look at them.
- Selectively Transfer: Instead of transferring all iTunes or iPhone media files, with this program, you can select and just transfer some specific files.
- No Data Erasing: When sync iTunes data to iPhone using TunesMate, it won’t erase any original data on your iPhone.
- Two-way Transfer: Transfer music/photos/videos from iPhone to iTunes/PC and vice visa.
- Transfer both Paid and Free Music/Video: Transfer your free or paid files from your iPhone to PC/iTunes, and files not been purchased from Apple can also be transferred.
- Support Many Files: Playlist, music, movies, audiobooks, camera roll, iTunes, podcasts, TV shows, and much more.
- iMyFone wins thousands of loyal users every year and receive lots of positive reviews
How to Rebuild Disappeared iTunes Library with TunesMate
Step 1: Download and install TunesMate, then connect your iPhone to it.
Step 2: Run TunesMate on your device, and go to the “Music” tab.
Step 3: Preview the music on your iPhone and select the files to transfer.
Step 4: Click on “Export > Export to iTunes” and the selected files will be transferred to iTunes, and you can now build a new iTunes library.
Why iTunes Library Disappear or Crash
As mentioned at the start of this piece, if you just upgrade your iTunes library, you may return after sometimes to discover that the iTunes library is missing or crashed. So, an update is one of the major reasons for missing or crashed iTunes library.
iTunes library could get crashed or missing if you recently perform a backup. Backup can affect your iTunes songs, and the whole library could disappear. So, it is important that you use software like iMyFone TunesMate to perform a backup to PC safely.
Another reason that could cause iTunes library to miss is if it gets corrupted somehow. iTunes library may disappear completely if your playlist or contents have corrupted it. Again, we recommend TunesMate to restore your corrupted iTunes.
Lastly, iTunes bugs can cause it to disappear entirely. Fixing the bugs can be done using Apple's solution or use TunesMate.