When your iTunes library file is locked, a lot of things may come to your mind regarding what to do. Have you been tempted to format your device over this occurrence? Before you do that, read this piece to find the right solution to your locked iTunes library file.
When and Why iTunes Library File Gets Locked?
When you move iTunes library between different computers, it is possible that the library file gets locked. Or you might have accessed different iTunens accounts on the same computer which will cause your iTunes library files to get locked. Also, if the files are marked as read-only or your account does not have the correct security permissions, the iTunes library files will be locked.
How to Fix the iTunes Library.itl File Is Locked on Windows
Now, what can be done if the iTunes library.itl file get locked? There are two solutions to quickly fix the problem. You can solve the problem through Window File Settings or solve it through Attrib. let us look at both options.
Fix with window file settings
1. Go to iTunes Library.itl file on your windows (you will see it under C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes).
2. Once located, right-click the file and select ‘Properties.'
3. You will see ‘Read-only.' Uncheck it.
4. Select the Security tab if you have and click OK.
That is all. The second option is to use Attrib. However, you should not attempt this option unless you are an expert in Command Prompt. If you are, follow the steps below to fix the iTunes library.itl file.
Fix with Attrib
1. Press Windows Key + R to open the Command Prompt.
2. Input ‘CMD' into the Command Prompt and click ‘Enter.'
3. Open the music files (you will see it under C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media folder on Win 7).
4. Now, input ‘attrib *.* -r +a -s -h /s' and click Enter.
When you complete these steps, the iTunes folder will be reset so that it becomes readable again.
How to Fix iTunes Error Library.itl File Is Locked on Mac
If you use Mac, the two solutions above cannot solve the same error issue on Mac. Therefore, you need a different solution – iTunes alternative.
The alternative that can fix iTunes error library.itl file if locked is iMyFone TunesMate. It fix iTunes errors without any damage to iTunes library or being hampered by iTunes limits
iMyFone TunesMate iPhone Transfer
- Rebuild iTunes Library: One of the major problems iTunes users face is occasional crash of iTunes library. Tunesmate can rebuild/repair it when this happens. Thus, restoring your photos, video, and music.
- Two-Way Synchronization: TunesMate allows two-way synchronization between iTunes and iPhone. That means you can transfer your music or file from iPhone to iTunes and vice visa.
- Preview and Select: TunesMate will not sync all music at the same time, but gives you an opportunity to view and select music or file you want to transfer.
- Support Free and Paid Music: No matter what type of music you have – free or paid – they are all supported by TunesMate.
Steps to Transfer the Locked Files from iTunes Library to iPhone
You can selectively move your music by following the steps below.
Step 1. After you have downloaded and installed TunesMate to your computer, run it. Check the "Trust" button as trusted if you came across it. Launch TunesMate and go to the menu.
Step 2. Go to the “1-Click Transfer iTunes Media to iDevice”.
Step 3. Now preview and select your iTunes files to transfer the locked iTunes library files to iPhone.
Step 4. Click ‘Transfer' to begin syncing.
Other Complex Solutions
There are other solutions to fix iTunes library.itl file is locked. But, these are complex solutions and may not be suitable for you.
- Copy the Old Library: You can fix the problem by copying the old library if you can. What you need to do here is drag a file or folder from the desktop to the iTunes window, then open it.
- Export Files: Another method is to export files from iTunes to the computer. But it might be difficult especially if you do not use software like TunesMate.
- Change Ownership and Permission: You may choose to change ownership and permission to fix the problem. s