“My storage on Mac is taking up crazy amount of space for some reason. What I don't understand is why does my Mac require so much space? I want to clear some storage files. Any solutions? Any help is appreciated.“
As shown above, a lot of Mac users Complains that their Mac has become slow for having not enough storage. With each passing day, it is becoming lazy and slow. Instead of buying a new one, they do want to know the efficient ways to clean up storage. How can you improve your Mac’s running speed and make it more reliable? If you are looking for these answers, then here is the right place for you. In this article, we will discuss some useful ways on how to clear storage on Mac.
Understanding System Storage and Other Storage on Mac
Firstly, you need to understand what is system storage and other storage on Mac. Apple usually considers files like movies, applications, images, and documents as system storage. There are various files included in the System category, including:
- Cache from web browsers, models and other third-party applications
- Mac operating system used for multiple functions and app launching
- Any trash files and unused and temporary file
- Duplicate files
Now I will give a brief idea on other storage. Other storage in Mac includes a wide variety of files and documents, and it is not necessarily unnecessary data and files which are as follows:
- Files, Documents including DOC, PSD files and PDF files
- Extensions, different Plugins, and Applications extensions
- Archive and Compressed files and images
- iCloud used files
In simple words, other files are usually those who do not fall into a more specific category like “Video” or “audio”.
3 Most Commom Ways to Clear Storage on Mac [Not Effective]
Most of system storage and other storage files are useless that can be removed. You can clear up storage on Mac for regaining more free space. And how to get this done? Next we will introduce most common ways to clear storage files. They are also some recommendations that macOS has provided to their users.
1. Store your files in iCloud
Storing your files like ducuments, messages or photos on the icloud can help you save more space on your Mac. Whenever you want to check the files you can simply log in the icloud accound and access them. Just follow these simple steps:
- Click on storage on the Mac.
- Click on Manage option.
- Click on Store in iCloud.
2. Optimize your storage files
You can also use the Optimized Storage option on the Mac to manage your storage files. And it will present you with these options below when you click on the Optimize button.
- Delete iTunes movies and TV shows that you've already watched.
- Keep only recent email attachments.
3. Empty trash frequently
Empty trash bin on your Mac frequently and try to flush out the files that are already in Recycling so that you may clear up more space. Many files occupy ample space, so keep in mind not emptying the trash can cause your Mac to run slowly. So keep a close check on your Recycle Bin. At least clear it once in 30 days.
The most common ways we have discoussed above can be easily accessed on your device, however, they are not so effective on clearing storage. You need a more deeper clean up to release more space. And we will tell you an easy way as to delete storage on Mac in one smooth move by using powerful Mac cleaner app. One of the most popular ones is called Umate Mac Cleaner. It comes with all-in-one package, which can efficiently and completely clean up your Mac compared to the above operations.
Clear Storage on Mac with Umate Mac Cleaner in 2 Steps [Fast & Easy]
Umate Mac Cleaner comes with many powerful features, including clean up, speed up your Mac, erase private data and manage apps and extensions. And “Clean up Junk” is the core feature of the app, which can help to clear storage on Mac with single click. It contains two steps: Quick Clean & Deep Clean.
1. Quick Clean: Automatically detects useless files on your Mac and show you what is safe to clear, like system junk, app cache, iTunes junk and installation packages. It will firstly scan your Mac and all the files that are safe to be deleted will be automatically detected . You can click the “Clean” button to clean up all the junk files.
2. Deep Clean: Scans and delete specific types of unnecessary files (like iOS junk, downloads and large files) for deeper cleaning. After quick cleaning, it is clear that how much more space can be deep cleaned. If you want to do a more in-depth cleanup, then choose “Deep Clean” part to continue. Choose those items you do not require and click the "Clean" to Clear more storage on Mac.
Below are some of the advantages and benefits that it offers.
- 100% Safe to Use: Automatically detects unnecessary junk files for safe removal.
- Time-saving Removal: Enables you to remove junk files with just one click instead of doing manually.
- Release up to 40% free space: Free space reclaimed from storage files can up to 40%.
- 2x Greater Performance: Greatly improve your Mac's performance after cleaning up.
- Trustworthy with good reputation: The developer of Umate Mac Cleaner (iMyFone) is highly recommended by famous technology websites, like Cult of Mac, Macworld, techradar, etc.
10 Additional Ways to Clear Mac Storage
There are also some other common ways to clear up storage and free up more space. As you will have to do all the work manually, so it is a somewhat complicated and not productive method. You can also delete some of your essential files by mistakes. Anyway, here are the simple introcution on how to delete storage on Mac:
Way 1. Remove large files
Store your massive documents and data in the Mac this will also prevent an additional burden on the hard disk. If you have unused large files that are of no use for you delete it.
Way 2. Delete downloaded files
Deleting any unnecessary downloads will get rid of those burdensome files that are no longer needed but still consuming ample space. Try to move the data required and downloads to the external drive, and you can use cloud drive as well.
Way 3. Clean cache files
Your Macintosh stores a lot of information as a cache that reduces the speed of Mac and makes it work slowly. These files, unfortunately, consumes a lot of space, causes your Mac to slow down. So these cache files must be clear to get your Mac in right working conditions.
Way 4. Unisntall unused applications
Applications installed On Mac may occupy a lot of disk space. With these memory-eating apps, your Mac begins to work slowly. Removing the app that are raraly used is definitely an efficient way on how to get rid of storage on Mac.
Way 5. Clean up temporary files
When your Mac is running, the system itself will creates and piles up some temporary files. These files are useless and they are taking up your disk space on your Mac. If you do nothing about these outdated temporary files, they will become one of the reasons for your slow Mac.
Way 6. Remove plugins and extensions
Most of plugins and extensions on your Mac are useless. They just sit on the hard disk and occupys some space on the device. What's worse, these unneeded plugins and extensions will cause some problems on the Mac and you can delete them for releasing some extra storage.
Way 7. Clean up iOS backups
There are a bunch of iOS device backup files on your Mac and they are taking up a large amount of space. You can follow the path to delete those annoying backup folders.
Way 8. Delete mail attachments
You email account is also a good place to clear storage on the Mac. There are lots of email attachments on the Mail application and they are memory-hogging on your disk. However, it is a complex process if you want to delete them manually. A much eaiser way is to run a cleanup software to get rid of them.
Way 9. Delete photos and videos
Try to store all the pictures and videos in iCloud photos drive. It will not only make back up for your vital images and videos but will also be available without occupying additional space in Mac drive. Try to delete those photos which are useless to you and empty from the trash as well.
Way 10. Upgrade your hard disk drive
If you still need more space after using the methods above, then you should consider upgrade your hard disk drive to a larger one with more space. That will be definitely an efficient way to increase your storage on the Mac.
How to clean up Mac storage? I think you have got the answer. You can clean up system storage files as well as other no longer needed by Umate Mac Cleaner quickly and securely. As discussed although you can do it manually as well, it will not be safe as you can mistakenly delete your important files as well in the process. So we will recommend Umate Mac Cleaner for your Mac.