Gemini Mac is a software developed by MacPaw to help the Mac system users find duplicate files on their system or external hard drives and delete them. This is a tool that is used to create more storage space for the system.
The system running can create duplicate files definitely. Some are created by users and some are generated by the system. They pile up and accumulate to take up unnecessary storage space on the system. This can be highly detrimental to the performance of the Mac system and can slow it down or show other operational issues. This is why it is important to find such files and delete them from time to time.
If you are someone who has brought a brand new Mac system, you do not need to purchase this Gemini duplication software for finding and deleting duplicate files on the system. But, if in case your Mac system is running out of storage space, and you want to ensure no storage space is wasted, Gemini 2 is a good investment.
What we like:
- Tons of duplicate files on your Mac system can get detected easily.
- The categorization of files makes it easier to review and delete the duplicates.
What we don't like:
- During the system scans, this software takes up a lot of resources from the Mac system.
- Causes the Mac fan to run loud due to overuse of system resources.
- The gamification feature offered by this software is very distracting and not as fun as it was intended to be.
1. What Does MacPaw Gemini 2 Do?
Gemini duplicate finder tool which has been specifically developed for finding duplicate files on your Mac system. Here are the functions performed by this app.
- Scans more than one folder to detect the duplicate or similar files.
- Displays a list of files after scanning the system which are safe for deletion.
- Lets you delete the duplicate or similar files from the system.
2. MacPaw Gemini Review
Since Gemini 2 duplicate finder tool is all about scanning, detecting and deleting the duplicate files, I will detail all the features of this app and share the review of each of these features one by one below.
It is incredibly easy to add folders in CleanMyMac Gemini for scanning. You just need to locate the folder and the tool will do the rest of the work fish out the duplicates from that folder. However, the scanning process is very time consuming, which is a major downside of using this tool. Also, while scanning, the software uses a lot of system resources which causes the Mac system to heat up in just a few minutes.
Displaying Duplicates for Reviewing
Gemini 2 lays out the duplicates and similar files beautifully for reviewing. It becomes very easy for the user to click on a file to review it before deletion. Also, it features the "Warning" pop-up to prevent you from deleting the last copy of the file.
Deleting the Duplicate Files
It is simple to delete the duplicates using this tool as it performs this function with just a single click. However, once deleted, the files move to Trash and still occupy some amount of system storage space. This feature can be improved by adding a reminder for the users that these deleted files are still in Trash.
This feature is a total waste of resources according to me. The tool is meant to be as a utility to delete the duplicate files. This feature just added distraction with no real use.
3. How Does it Work?
In this section, I will list out how each of the essential features in this tool can be used to effectively clear out the storage space in your Mac system. Here are the steps involved in scanning, reviewing and deleting the unnecessary duplicates on your system.
After installation, launch the tool first, then click and drag the folder to the huge "+" sign at the center of the window.
Once the folder is added, click on "Scan for Duplicates".
The progress of the scan will be displayed on your screen and once it is done, click on "Review Duplicates".
Select "All Duplicates" and select the categories from the left to review the individual files in that particular category, select the duplicates which you wish to delete and click on "Remove". You can do the same with similar files by selecting "All Similars" from the left panel.
Once done, you will be notified and you can click on "Review Trashed" to recover any files that you accidentally deleted or click on "Remaining Files" to review the unattended duplicates and similars in the folder.
This is how you can use this tool to effectively clear out the storage space from unnecessary files like duplicates and similars.
4. Alternative to MacPaw Gemini
By here, we have already know all the features and the detailed guide of Gemini 2. We can easily know that it is not the best choice for duplicate files removing for Mac. If you are finding a better app to realize the same goal, then iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner is an excellent tool which overcomes the disadvantages offered by Gemini 2 and is the best alternative for deleting the duplicate files.
Why iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner is a Better Choice
- The speed of scanning is much faster when compared to Gemini 2. It hardly takes about less than 3 minutes for even the large files to get scanned by iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner.
- Unlike Gemini 2, iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner does not use a lot of system resources and hence ensures that the Mac system does not get heated up.
- It does not slow down the Mac system like Gemini 2 but instead optimizes the performance of Mac by enhancing its performance.
- It does not have any distracting features like the Gamification feature in Gemini 2 making it a purely utility-based tool.
- It also has the smart selection feature and such intuitive features are missing in Gemini 2.
- Gemini 2 performs only the function of deletion of duplicates whereas iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner has several other features which help in optimizing the performance of Mac system. Such as: Delete Large Files, Delete Junk Files, Erase Private Data r Manage Apps and Extensions.
Advantages of Using iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner
- Supports customization in the file directory to find duplicate files.
- It will classify the scanned files into image, video, audio, archive, documents and others.
- It gives the smart selection for you by not checking the source files by default.
- It's a Mac Manager and has several other useful features.
- Powerful after-sales support.
How to Use iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner to Delete Duplicate Files
After installing the tool, launch it and click on "Delete Duplicate Files".
After this, click on "Browse" to provide the directory to be scanned for duplicate files and click on "Scan".
Review the files, select the duplicate files which you wish to delete and click on "Delete".
This is how simple it is to delete the duplicate files using iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner.
Although the Gemini file duplicate is an excellent duplicate file removal tool, it still has several disadvantages. In order to overcome these disadvantages, you need to look for alternatives. The best alternative is iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner as it not only overcomes the disadvantages of iMyFone Umate Mac Cleaner but also offers several additional features that can be very useful in managing the files on your Mac system.